MIcrophones

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
TheArchitect

What mics did Steve use on the Astoria recording? I couldn't see then clearly enough to tell. Are those typical on his studio recordings as well?
TheArchitect

Anyone?
jimmyfingersminion

they look to me like shure KSMs. but i cant be sure (no pun intended), because there is no close up on them.
lydian7

I don't know what Steve used for the London gig, but I do know that SM57's are the industry standard for mic'ing instruments, and the SM58's are used for mic'ing vocals. Hope this helps. :)
jimmyfingersminion

on the astoria gig, steve uses 58s for his vocals, but his cabs are mic'd with condensers that look like ksm's of some kind. in the studio, it seems he often blends two or three mic on a guitar. i have seen pics of him using 57s, akg 414s and neumans i think. hope that helps
Tim L

There's a pic somewhere of a 4x12 w/ a Shure SM57, Sennheiser MD421, and a Beyer M160 ribbon... it's not Astoria but it's a cool pic none the less

.... here it is:

http://vai.com/realillusions/04kmpeeduwee.html
TheArchitect

Thanks for the comments. I am familiar with recording cabs and what the standard tools are. Steve appeared to be using something out of the ordinary which is why I was curious what they were. Apparently its an X file mystery. Thats cool. I'm sure its out there somewhere.
Ffats

lydian7 wrote:I don't know what Steve used for the London gig, but I do know that SM57's are the industry standard for mic'ing instruments, and the SM58's are used for mic'ing vocals. Hope this helps. :)
They're not usually used for recording, or at least not preferred, however.
Tim L

Ffats wrote:
lydian7 wrote:I don't know what Steve used for the London gig, but I do know that SM57's are the industry standard for mic'ing instruments, and the SM58's are used for mic'ing vocals. Hope this helps. :)
They're not usually used for recording, or at least not preferred, however.
Not usualy used for recording?... In 'the studio' the 57 has undoubtedly found itself in front of more guitar speakers (among other things) than any other mic on the planet... barr none!!!! You may or may not dig the thing personaly, but the 57 is and has been a studio standard/staple for decades...