PEAVEY PARTS WITH EDWARD VAN HALEN

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Jemfever

TheArchitect wrote: People listen with their eyes more often than not. Just human nature. Nothing wrong with that.
I totally agree with you on that!
Recorded tone especially is 90% engineering skills and 10% gear. Within reason of course.
Are you sure about that???I would not agree.You can tell the difference between a ,let's say, Roland cube and a Marshall JMP.If you can't, tell me why people spend money on amps when they could buy a Roland cube and end up with a JMP tone?? :shock:
Studio techs can do a lot nowadays but they are no magicians!
TheArchitect

Jemfever wrote:
TheArchitect wrote: People listen with their eyes more often than not. Just human nature. Nothing wrong with that.
I totally agree with you on that!
Recorded tone especially is 90% engineering skills and 10% gear. Within reason of course.
Are you sure about that???I would not agree.You can tell the difference between a ,let's say, Roland cube and a Marshall JMP.If you can't, tell me why people spend money on amps when they could buy a Roland cube and end up with a JMP tone?? :shock:
Studio techs can do a lot nowadays but they are no magicians!
Yeah, I gotta stand by that statement. Sure you can tell a cube from a plexi and both will sound great with a talented engineer but after EQ, pedals and mic placement the differences can be a lot less than you might imagine at first. The question becomes can you tell a XXX from a Recifier from a Bogner from a Legacy in a blind test? On tape, in a mix, I say 90% or more couldn't although probably think they could. After pedals are added, overdubs factored in its a tough thing to discern. The more gain you add, the more difficult it is. A blind test in a live enironment comparing the amps side by side is easier since the mics and other processing are out of the picture.

Page recorded much of the Zeppelin stuff with a Tele, a Soul Bender and a Supro but a lot of people swore it was Marshalls until page spilled the beans.
EVO 555

eddie is ment to be going to fender but i will still miss his home made guitars :cry:

thanx evo :P
j.arledge

i think it would be great to sit down and play a few amps and then be blind folded and play them again to see if i can tell the difference. It would make your what you wanted a lot clearer. I know that i think about the brand the amp is and the reviews but that doesn't matter if you like the amp or at least it shouldn't but it does.

Look at what they did with ashlee simpson, you can't tell me she can actully sing i knew she never could, but think about the crap that the studio can do. I remeber when sher was going to come out with her latest ablum i read somewhere they had to use program or machine that a way she could hit the high notes because she couldn't anymore.

Or take music from the 60s and 70s you actually had to be good they didn't have all the digital effects and processers.
Jemfever

[/quote]Yeah, I gotta stand by that statement. Sure you can tell a cube from a plexi and both will sound great with a talented engineer but after EQ, pedals and mic placement the differences can be a lot less than you might imagine at first. The question becomes can you tell a XXX from a Recifier from a Bogner from a Legacy in a blind test? On tape, in a mix, I say 90% or more couldn't although probably think they could. After pedals are added, overdubs factored in its a tough thing to discern. The more gain you add, the more difficult it is. A blind test in a live enironment comparing the amps side by side is easier since the mics and other processing are out of the picture.

Page recorded much of the Zeppelin stuff with a Tele, a Soul Bender and a Supro but a lot of people swore it was Marshalls until page spilled the beans.[/quote]

I agree that after EQ and so on in the studio the difference in tone will not be as obvious as in a live situation.No doubt about that.But you'll always hear the difference in solo parts of the guitar.Adding a lot of gain to the rhythm guitars may and probably will make most amps sound similar if not the same.Line 6 Pod's are often used in the studio ,but only for the rhythm parts.Robben Ford did that on his last record.Nobody could have told the difference between his Humble and his Pod parts.
Solo parts will show the difference 'cause thats where the real tone comes through.
Most people tend to like Eddys tone on his first records more than now.If so,how come they hear a difference(between his rodded Plexis and the 5150)?
TheArchitect

Jemfever wrote:
Yeah, I gotta stand by that statement. Sure you can tell a cube from a plexi and both will sound great with a talented engineer but after EQ, pedals and mic placement the differences can be a lot less than you might imagine at first. The question becomes can you tell a XXX from a Recifier from a Bogner from a Legacy in a blind test? On tape, in a mix, I say 90% or more couldn't although probably think they could. After pedals are added, overdubs factored in its a tough thing to discern. The more gain you add, the more difficult it is. A blind test in a live enironment comparing the amps side by side is easier since the mics and other processing are out of the picture.

Page recorded much of the Zeppelin stuff with a Tele, a Soul Bender and a Supro but a lot of people swore it was Marshalls until page spilled the beans.[/quote]

I agree that after EQ and so on in the studio the difference in tone will not be as obvious as in a live situation.No doubt about that.But you'll always hear the difference in solo parts of the guitar.Adding a lot of gain to the rhythm guitars may and probably will make most amps sound similar if not the same.Line 6 Pod's are often used in the studio ,but only for the rhythm parts.Robben Ford did that on his last record.Nobody could have told the difference between his Humble and his Pod parts.
Solo parts will show the difference 'cause thats where the real tone comes through.
Most people tend to like Eddys tone on his first records more than now.If so,how come they hear a difference(between his rodded Plexis and the 5150)?[/quote]

The amount of gain and the chorusing he puts on everything now. The 5150 has about 10x more gain than the Plexi. When I listen to F.U.C.K I have a hard time telling what is Soldano and what is 5150. The plexi is in there too but with the Eventide running even it sound pretty similar as well but can in spots be picked out with careful listening.
heriksro
Newcomer

i have heard that EVH have signed with Marshall. And that he wantet to go back to the "BROWN SOUND" May be a rumor....
ax murderer

i'm currently borrowing my aforementioned friend's 5150 while he is away at university, i took 'delivery' of it today. he can't take it with him, and has just traded his 6 string for a bass, so he's left it to me to ensure it's put to good use.

my word. having played around with the settings a bit, and added my Line6 PodPro into the effects loop (handy as the 5150 has no built in reverb) and plugging my Jem in (had only played it on a low end RG before) i am astonished as to how good it sounds. it's not even one of those amps that you have to crank up to the max to get good tone out of. it's awesome.
Wonderbar
Newcomer

Who is edward van halen? no one has put out a record by that name this century...
TheArchitect

Actually they have.......Best of Both Worlds.
EVO 555

Wonderbar wrote:Who is edward van halen? no one has put out a record by that name this century...
he is the guitar player from the band van halen i dont believe you have never heard of him. Is this a joke and i have been fooled :P

evo :roll:
ax murderer

i was wondering if anyone could help me actually, i'm sure this is a good place to ask.

the other day, my pod pro was working fine in harmony with the 5150, and the drive on it could even be used as an added boost to the lead channel on the peavey.

now however, it seems that whenever the effects and lead channels are engaged on the peavey (the pod is on the effects loop) there seems to be some kind of phase (the sound is too quiet, and intermittent, cutting out a lot of the frequencies. also feedsback when turned up to the appropriate volume.) even with no drive coming from the pod. is it some kind of error with the placement of the pod in the loop? i thought to start with that it may have been a bad cable in the mix somewhere, but the pod interacts fine with the clean channel on the peavey. i have very little experience of effects loops etc, i always just used to plug the pod straight to the input on simple combos.

any advice? i'm sure it's something simple, but i can't figure out how it worked fine the other day, but not now.

the amp works fine when the pod is bypassed, so i haven't blown anything (thankfully)

i'm grateful for any expertise you can share
green_meanie

best of both worlds wasnt to good in my opinion.
they need to wright better songs than that.

but you can buy one of his charvel stripped guitars on ebay for a cool 13K :roll: