PEAVEY PARTS WITH EDWARD VAN HALEN

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
5thD

December 21st, 2004

From Peavey.com:

PEAVEY PARTS WITH EDWARD VAN HALEN

World-famous manufacturer launches 6505™ amplifiers, Carina™ guitars

December 21, 2004

Peavey Int'l. Headquarters—Peavey announces it has parted with Edward Van Halen after a 13-year partnership. Peavey collaborated with the guitarist on his signature-model Peavey Wolfgang® Series electric guitars and Peavey 5150® Series amplifiers.

According to the company, Van Halen retains the rights to the names 5150 and Wolfgang, as well as certain design elements of the Wolfgang guitar, but the 5150's circuitry and tone will remain in the Peavey family as the 6505™ amplifier. Peavey will launch the new 6505—named in celebration of Peavey's first forty years, 1965 to 2005—at the Winter NAMM (International Music Products Association) Expo, Jan. 20-24, 2005, in Anaheim, Calif.

Peavey will also debut its Carina (Italian for 'beautiful') guitars to replace the Wolfgang. Carina™ Series guitars highlight many of the Peavey innovations used in the Wolfgang and other Peavey guitars, including computer-shaped necks that ensure all Carina guitars exhibit a consistent, comfortable neck radius and superior playability.

The hugely successful 5150 Series guitar amplifiers and Wolfgang electric guitars, which launched in 1991 and 1995, respectively, have become staples of modern rock music. Endorsers ranging from Ted Nugent, 3 Doors Down and Default to underground metal heroes Atreyu, Darkest Hour and God Forbid, and even power-punkers such as Visqueen, have lauded the contributions these Peavey products have made to rock 'n' roll.

"I'm very proud of the work we accomplished with Edward," says Peavey founder and CEO Hartley Peavey. "The 5150 Series has earned its place as a rock guitar standard, and the Wolfgang is a staple in the pantheon of rock instrumentation. They're both well respected pieces, and I'm glad we could bring those to life.

"As we enter our fortieth year of building innovative instruments, amplifiers and sound equipment, we're more focused on the future than ever," he remarks. "We've pioneered a lot of 'firsts' in this industry, including making guitars using computer-controlled machines, and even with more than 130 patents behind us, there's plenty of fertile ground ahead of us. It's an exciting time for Peavey."
Jemfever

I read Eddy is working with Crate( :cry: ) on a new signature amp.Concerning his highly overpriced guitars,he'll endorse for Charvel/Jackson.
5thD

Crate? Say it isn't so!
Ricky Garcia

Satriani will be their new trade sign...
Jemfever

5thD wrote:Crate? Say it isn't so!
Unfortunately it is gonna be Crate.He came into contact with Crate through Sammy Hagar who endorses Crate for years .Now that Sammy is back in VH Crate asked Eddy to create a new amp.Hopefully Eddy will create another cool amp but this time maybe with a clean channel.We'll have to wait and see.
Birdman

I have a 5150 amp......... it has a clean channel. .............. I don't get it.
5thD

Birdman wrote:I have a 5150 amp......... it has a clean channel. .............. I don't get it.
Let's just say the 5150 was never known for it's beautiful sparkling clean tones. BTW - I'm not putting the amp down at all, I think the 5150 has one of the best dirty channels that I've ever heard, It's just that clean tones are not one of the amps strong point's.
Bold_As_Love

Im glad EVH left peavey. He had sold his soul to them. I like the days back when he built his own guitars.
EVO 555

Bold_As_Love wrote:Im glad EVH left peavey. He had sold his soul to them. I like the days back when he built his own guitars.
same here i love his striped guitars he inspired me to do my own
Birdman

Well, a Fender clean channel it ain't, but I've never had a problem with the clean channel. Besides, for most people that are gonna buy a 5150 amp, the clean stuff they're gonna need to play, this amp will do it on it's ear.
j.arledge

i am going to get a 5150 or xxx.

As far as eddie going to go to crate hahhahahahhahahahhahahahha

i hate crate

i have never played one of his guitars from peavey but the 5150 looks to be my next amp. People have said that the clean/rythem channle is a little hard to clean up but i dont mind i dont really play clean much, it is suppose to have some of the best distortion out there.

Anyways it is a little sad to see him leave peavey but oh well stuff happens and peavey still has joe.

i have played the xxx and loved it but not the 5150 and while we were on the subject can you compare the 5150 to the xxx as far as distortion sound goes.
ax murderer

i've played my friend's 5150, and i must say that i wasn't too impressed. you need to turn it up far too high to get get tone. it's a bit complicated to get the exact sound you want too, which probably made it difficult when i was just messing around with it for half an hour or so. i'm sure if it was yours, and you spent time adjusting it, it would be ace.

i have played an XXL, and was much more comfortable with it. it just made it a lot easier to play the guitar somehow. i've heard countless XXX's too, and i must say that they are superbeef. they just growl. in terms of balls out rock, i think the XXX has much more going for it.

again though, i didn't spend enough time fiddling with the 5150 to get a feel for it. it works though, it makes sound.
Jemfever

To me the 5150 is a much better amp than the xxx.The 5150 is an amp designed around the late 80s beginning of the 90s.It's sound is much more 80s hair metal than New-Metal.It has probably the best distortion channel i've ever played.As i said before i wasn't happy with the not existing clean channel.At that time i needed a good clean and a good distorted channel ,so i sold it.
I thing that it's not possible to compare the 5150 to the xxx,just because the xxx sounds much more modern,very heavy and beafy( a bit too much Nu-Metal).To my ears much too beafy!I don't need a distorted channel with so much gain.Maybe that's my "jcm800 virus",to play a crunched amp and for soloing add a ds1/sd1.Plus the clean on the xxx was not very pleasing.
That's my personal view and my taste.If you concider buying one of these amps a/b them and decide which one you like best.
Regards Jemfever
evolutionmb

A student of mine had a Crate amp he brought in, and I was TOTALLY blown away how good the distortion was. It made my Fender amp sound like crap!!! I am going to trade my Fender in for either a Crate of Marshall.
TheArchitect

Most Crate stuff is, shall we say, interesting. The Blue Voodoo though is decent enough. My amp tech has clips of himself riffing through various things with a Voodoo that he posts and passes off as what the particular poster is raving about and inevitably gets any number of posts along the lines of "See, thats what a real amp sounds like.." Are there better amps? Sure. Can 90% of the players out there really tell the difference in a blind taste test? No. People listen with their eyes more often than not. Just human nature. Nothing wrong with that. Recorded tone especially is 90% engineering skills and 10% gear. Within reason of course.