I wonder how Steve feels when...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
V41

I've read numerous times where Steve has said he wants his music to do something for the world. I think we all can see where he tries to achieve this in his music.

But he's also said he doesn't care for bands that speak of violence, destruction, etc., and are just angry.

How do you think he feels when his guitar playing or products influence bands like this? His 7 strings influenced Korn, who can be a pretty morbid band, and possibly other 7-string using bands like Slipknot.

I'm sure his guitar chops have influenced many death metal/black metal (or whatever you wanna' call it) bands, like Children of Bodom.

I wonder if Steve ever regrets those influences?
brainpolice

To be honest - where do you see the connection? Death Metal Bands influenced by Steve Vai? They're influenced by the early heavy bands like Slayer and Sepultura (early) and Death (the fathers of deathmetal, hence their name: Death!). I don't really see the connection. Do you really think some band like Deicide or Obituary were sitting around listening to Steve Vai one day and said "thats what we need, we need to growl and play power chord riffs and double bass beats at 200 bpm, just like Steve"?
I used to be big on DM bands, but I grew out of it. I don't really care for all of the pointless anger. But I also don't see the connection between someone like Steve Vai and Napalm Death. I'd say there is nothing wrong with anger in music, the problem starts when it turns to pointless anger. When there's something to be angry about, go for it. When you're faking it, it's obvious I.E. all the nu-metal bands. It becomes whiny at that point. "My Parents Got Divorced *Power Chord* Wa Wa Wa" Stuff. LOL. Anger in music can be a good VENT, but when misused it becomes quite pathetic and fake. So it really splits into two categories: Fake Anger and Real Anger.
GuitarStrings

brainpolice wrote:To be honest - where do you see the connection? Death Metal Bands influenced by Steve Vai? They're influenced by the early heavy bands like Slayer and Sepultura (early) and Death (the fathers of deathmetal, hence their name: Death!). I don't really see the connection. Do you really think some band like Deicide or Obituary were sitting around listening to Steve Vai one day and said "thats what we need, we need to growl and play power chord riffs and double bass beats at 200 bpm, just like Steve"?
I used to be big on DM bands, but I grew out of it. I don't really care for all of the pointless anger. But I also don't see the connection between someone like Steve Vai and Napalm Death. I'd say there is nothing wrong with anger in music, the problem starts when it turns to pointless anger. When there's something to be angry about, go for it. When you're faking it, it's obvious I.E. all the nu-metal bands. It becomes whiny at that point. "My Parents Got Divorced *Power Chord* Wa Wa Wa" Stuff. LOL. Anger in music can be a good VENT, but when misused it becomes quite pathetic and fake. So it really splits into two categories: Fake Anger and Real Anger.
Totally agree with brainpolice. :) Many so called Nu-Metal bands create this "angry feeling" just for playing something.
Ryan Layton
Banned

well, alot of metal players now have started to bring back the shredding and almost all of those guys will thank steve vai for inspiring them and giving them the motovation to work up their chops
V41

Ryan Layton wrote:well, alot of metal players now have started to bring back the shredding and almost all of those guys will thank steve vai for inspiring them and giving them the motovation to work up their chops
Yeah, what made me say that was reading in the April issue of Guitar World, that guitarist Alexi Laiho from the band Children of Bodom, which I believe is death metal, saying Steve was the reason he played guitar.

So I thought about... those bands with the 7-strings who tune down to D or C to get that heavy "chunk" sound were also influenced by Steve's pioneering of the 7-string Universe like he did.

So Steve's influenced a lot of stuff in the Death Metal and Black Metal worlds, and all the little subgenres that seem to follow. I mean, I'm sure he's not the only guitarist to have done so, but I'm sure he has.

Do you guys think that weighs on his conscience at all?
ultrazone_seeker

"those bands with the 7-strings who tune down to D or C ..."
is that a bit of a booboo there or are you talking about the alternative tunings (drop D etc) that they would have incorporated before they had 7 strings? at any rate i think you'd probably look more to bands like Helmet at the roots of this trend. Vai never really used the 7 string too much in this capacity, it just happened to be the very thing these people were looking for.

"that guitarist Alexi Laiho from the band Children of Bodom..."
he could have been inspired by any shredder really. what other ways does he truly display any Vai influence? (don't know any of their stuff, so...)

look all in all, Vai can really only take responsibility for what he does at the end of the day. just as if anyone makes good metal intended as an outlet but someone treats it as a cause for anger.

i guess that's the whole point of it in a nutshell. "a belief can't be held responsible for those who believe it."
sonny sixshooter

Now there, there is death metal and there is death metal. As with everything else, ther is the good stuff and the bad stuff. Not all of it is pure anger and teen relsted stuff. Whether they are influenced by Vai or nt doesn't make the difference between good or bad. And I don't think he cares. As long as he makes an impact on some people, and inspires someone to start playing, I don't think he would try to dictate the kind of music they play.
V41

ultrazone_seeker wrote:"those bands with the 7-strings who tune down to D or C ..."
is that a bit of a booboo there or are you talking about the alternative tunings (drop D etc) that they would have incorporated before they had 7 strings? at any rate i think you'd probably look more to bands like Helmet at the roots of this trend. Vai never really used the 7 string too much in this capacity, it just happened to be the very thing these people were looking for.
I'm talking about dropped tunings on a 7 string. That's how bands like Korn, Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, etc., get that super heavy chunky sound. I just wrote the wrong letters.
"that guitarist Alexi Laiho from the band Children of Bodom..."
he could have been inspired by any shredder really. what other ways does he truly display any Vai influence? (don't know any of their stuff, so...)
I guess I have to transcribe it now. :roll:

To quote Alexi Laiho from the April 2005 edition of Guitar World:

"I was 10 years old and watching MTV when the video for Steve Vai's 'For The Love Of God,' from the Passion and Warfare album, came on. That made me say, 'Fuck, I have to buy a guitar.' Everything he did was so cool. The way he sounded, the way he looked, the stuff he did with the instrument--it was just crazy. I knew it was what I had to do."

To quote the narration:

"By his early teens, Laiho was dividing his time between six-hour woodshed session in the bedroom--surrounded by no less than 5 Steve Vai posters--..."

I think that's pretty direct. Did you read my other message clearly? Or just assume I was saying Steve out of the blue?

There are probably tons and tons of guitarists just like that guy, who haven't been discovered. And I'm sure a good handful of them will go on to play angry, violent music. And it has it's place. This isn't about how we feel about, it's about whether or not you guys think it affects Steve at all
look all in all, Vai can really only take responsibility for what he does at the end of the day. just as if anyone makes good metal intended as an outlet but someone treats it as a cause for anger.
You could have just said that and saved me about 10 minutes of time.
i guess that's the whole point of it in a nutshell. "a belief can't be held responsible for those who believe it."
Tell that to the Bush administration regarding Islam in the Middle East.

You want my opinion? (You're getting it either way).

I think it probably bothers Steve a little to know major parts of his career, such as his excessive guitar in the 80s and development of quality 7-strings, have gone on to influence these bands who are preaching things he's directly said against, that he's said he's against in interviews.

There's nothing that gets done by my saying that, but still, it's an interesting thought. Might explain the increase of Steve's incorporation of his own beliefs and viewpoints into his music a little.
ultrazone_seeker

ok, just to clear a couple of things up...

i wasn't in any way trying to deny Vai's influence on Alexi Laiho, i was just saying, hypothetically, it's entirely possible for him to have been inspired by a different shredder entirely and still ended up playing almost the same style he does. technically he might have taken a lot from Vai, but clearly his values (or at least those that COB would be expressing in their music) do no such thing. so should Vai feel responsible for that just because he was the inspiration to play guitar?

and as for the quote regarding the belief... i wasn't saying that a belief (particularly if it's a sick and twisted one to start with...) is unaccountable for what it drives people to do, but keep in mind, as we see here with Vai, the infinite capacity for someone to take a belief or musician's work and twist it into a completely different context to what it was intended to be.

as for Bush and Islam, let's not go there.
Gary2005

um, i think your missing the bigger picture. Steve had an influence on many many guitarists...the guy outta pantera's favourite song ever was FTLOG. Just because steve doesnt play heavy metal music...doesnt mean he cant inspire people who do.
Gary2005

I mean before John Petrucci got his own sound and style, he was trying to BE vai wasnt he, and he's part of one of the best prog/rock/metal bands out there.,
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Can you find me the exact quote where Steve says that he doesn't care for heavy bands that speak about "violence, distruction etc., and are just angry".

Steve likes Korn (Untouchables is one of his more favorite Korn albums), System of a Down, Meshuggah, and in fact we were just marvelling at the new Strapping Young Lad album the other night which is due out soon. It's possibly the heaviest, most intesnse music I've ever heard. "Angry" doesn't even begin to describe it - yet there's an exquisite cathartic beauty to it. It's sheer brilliance and genius: TAKE A LISTEN! And Devin was in Steve's band!

It's not like Steve to pass judgement on music like you are intimating. He appreciates all different sorts of music from all sorts of different genres - including some really heavy angry stuff too.

It all has its place.

Mikey
vai.com
Gary2005

Exactly mikey.
Go on my son.
V41

Mikey wrote:Can you find me the exact quote where Steve says that he doesn't care for heavy bands that speak about "violence, distruction etc., and are just angry".

Steve likes Korn (Untouchables is one of his more favorite Korn albums), System of a Down, Meshuggah, and in fact we were just marvelling at the new Strapping Young Lad album the other night which is due out soon. It's possibly the heaviest, most intesnse music I've ever heard. "Angry" doesn't even begin to describe it - yet there's an exquisite cathartic beauty to it. It's sheer brilliance and genius: TAKE A LISTEN! And Devin was in Steve's band!

It's not like Steve to pass judgement on music like you are intimating. He appreciates all different sorts of music from all sorts of different genres - including some really heavy angry stuff too.

It all has its place.

Mikey
vai.com
I'll try and find it. Gonna' have to go back and listen to a bunch of old saved interviews, though.
ejrocker!
Newcomer

Steve should not feel bad at all.Is Ford responsible for all the car accidents in the world?But by being human,we should always feel for our fellow man.