IN what occasion will steve change his pickups?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
MattChen
Newcomer

hi,there
from the story of"EVO",it seems that steve had never changed the pickups on EVO....i just wonder that haven't those pickups weakend so much contrast to the new ones.....cause in general, pickups sonuds weaker and weaker when they are aging.....maybe the aged pickups sound uniquely,but they are still weak....
bacause i'm gonna change my aged pickups....and maybe i'll put an Evolution on it...any suggestions from veterans?thanks a lot!!
Last edited by MattChen on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
nienturi

I've read a story of Vai's. It was someting like that, if i dont remember wrong; One day, Steve uses good ole EVO on stage. After the show tells Nordeg to care for its p.u.s, but Mr.Nordeg changes the pick ups. Following show, when Steve is on the stage, he realises a difference. After show go to Mr.Nordeg and ask what he had done and learns what happened. They go back to former city and search ex-pick ups in trashes..

Im not sure if iti real, but funny :)
calos

It was the neck PU and steve found out on the coach to the next town before they turned round to get it out of the the trash, and yup it's true.

peace
cal
nienturi

calos wrote:It was the neck PU and steve found out on the coach to the next town before they turned round to get it out of the the trash, and yup it's true.

peace
cal
So, i have a good rememberance, hm :)
Petie

Actually I believe Steve's tech at the time was Roger Bell.
resha

Petie wrote:Actually I believe Steve's tech at the time was Roger Bell.
Right :)

P.S.: As for the pickups thing I believe Evo received some pickups changes because in some pics you can clearly see the difference in colors between the body (kinda yellowish) and the p.u. (brilliant white), but I can be wrong.
TheArchitect

MattChen wrote:hi,there
from the story of"EVO",it seems that steve had never changed the pickups on EVO....i just wonder that haven't those pickups weakend so much contrast to the new ones.....cause in general, pickups sonuds weaker and weaker when they are aging.....maybe the aged pickups sound uniquely,but they are still weak....
bacause i'm gonna change my aged pickups....and maybe i'll put an Evolution on it...any suggestions from veterans?thanks a lot!!
Pickups don't weaken to any discernable degree as you are suggesting. Yes, magnets will degauss slightly over time but you are talking about many decades for a measurable change let alone an audible one.

Unless pickups physically dmaged or are exposed to high power magnetic fields or other highly unlikely scenarios a pickup will last for the life of the owner and more generally
jam-man

Resha and I had quite an argument about this few months ago :wink:

And yes, Steve is changing His pickups!
TheArchitect

jam-man wrote:Resha and I had quite an argument about this few months ago :wink:

And yes, Steve is changing His pickups!
I change pickups regularly myself. I did not mean to suggest that Vai doesn't change them, only that they do not deteriorate over time as was suggested