The need for "Breed"........

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
bkornaker1977

Does anyone know if Vai used the breed pickups on any OTHER song than 'blood and tears'? Only reason im askin is cause the dimarzio site says it was used in his guitar called 'POGO', but didnt he have that guitar back in the day in passion and warfare, and sex and religion? I just wana hear more sound clips of him using it other than that song to make a decision on if I wanna get those or not.
motogod
Newcomer

The breed is a good all around pick-up that has less out put then the evo. To my ears it sounds like a PAF pro.
Sam669

a friend of mine has one in the bridge pos of his rg (basswood).
it sound full, rich, but still clear
Dr.N.A.Ma

I have breed pickups in my JEM, they are pretty sweet but the only thing is is that they kinda give you that feeling you wish you had the Evolutions, but i guess if you already have a set of evolutions, then The Breed are great.

(ps, if anyone wants to send me a pair of evolutions, i don't have the 200 bux for em :x )
TheArchitect

Dimarzio's site has some bad information. For example, they have a clip of rock of ages as a demo for the Super3. Unfortunately that tune was recorded about 10 years before that pickup existed
EyE

When DiMarzio and Steve were designing new pickups back in '92 they had 2 different sounding proto types. The Evolutions and the Pogos. "Evo" had the Evolutions in them and "Pogo" had the Pogos. Steve liked the Evolutions better so they were marketed. The Breed made it's entrance in 1999.
TheArchitect

I'm kinda interested in where Vai is using the Evo2 and the Breed. THe Evo's seem to be in all the primary guitars he uses.

I also find it curious that Dimarzio is doing multiple signature modules for Petrucci, Vai and Satriani now. Those guys are all great but is there really no one else out there worthy? Its a sad state of guitar playing affairs if thats the case.
pagliai

breed is a really good contructed pickup just like paf pro's tone zone and norton it is more weight and the tone is more rich ,but you must give a try to it 'cause pick ups are just like amps it is a personal choise so give a try.

Also evo 2 is just like paf pro ,it is between evo's and paf pro's and evo 2 is on flo and breed is on bad horsie and mojo.

Guys put the wiring in series 'cause jem are wired out of phase
seljer

TheArchitect wrote:I also find it curious that Dimarzio is doing multiple signature modules for Petrucci, Vai and Satriani now. Those guys are all great but is there really no one else out there worthy? Its a sad state of guitar playing affairs if thats the case.
They would just be the guitarists that approached Dimarzio when they were looking for their own special pickup, most guitarists are relatively satisfied with whats allready out there,
TonyMacalpine

TheArchitect wrote:I'm kinda interested in where Vai is using the Evo2 and the Breed. THe Evo's seem to be in all the primary guitars he uses.

I also find it curious that Dimarzio is doing multiple signature modules for Petrucci, Vai and Satriani now. Those guys are all great but is there really no one else out there worthy? Its a sad state of guitar playing affairs if thats the case.
me too
braddock
Newcomer

The breed is very low pickup, totaly diferent off evolution.
Last edited by braddock on Sat May 19, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
braddock
Newcomer

i´m tryng to post some breed´s sample, but the forum does not allow links.
another virtuoso

braddock wrote:i´m tryng to post some breed´s sample, but the forum does not allow links.
its because your new to the forum.

you might can trick it. try posting the link, but leave the "www." and ".com" out of it.
guyver_dio

Do they block new members from posting links here now? :?

I'd say anything within URL tags will be blocked no matter the format of your link. Try just posting the links as normal text (i.e without any tags around it). I'm sure people won't mind taking the whole 2 seconds to copy and paste them into a browser.
slash89

guyver_dio wrote:Do they block new members from posting links here now? :?

I'd say anything within URL tags will be blocked no matter the format of your link. Try just posting the links as normal text (i.e without any tags around it). I'm sure people won't mind taking the whole 2 seconds to copy and paste them into a browser.
They have to post two posts and been a member for 7 days. This is to prevent spammers taking control of this board :wink: