Gargle Whammy sound!?!

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
metallicafan647

Gargle Whammy sound!?!

#1 Post by metallicafan647 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:02 am

Hi, how does Vai create the "gargle" sound with the whammy bar?

thanks!

tim_knox

#2 Post by tim_knox » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:22 am

what do you mean by gargle sound, give an example, maybe a song or something that it is in

munchocruncho

#3 Post by munchocruncho » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:57 am

I know what hes talking about, like a whammy frenzy. I dont know how he does it but he probably just shakes the whammy bar really fast.

RAI

#4 Post by RAI » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:10 pm

If it sounds like a "gargle", then you're probably referring to "flutter".
This is accomplished by "hitting" the whammy bar, which causes it to vibrate fast. An example would be the ending of "Blue Powder".....

:)

tim_knox

#5 Post by tim_knox » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:02 pm

Yah you must be more specific when it comes to Vai and his whammy theatrics, because i was initially thinking that the gargle sound he was refering to was during the cool solo in the Animal in the Astoria DVD when Vai simply has it on clean pulls whammy bar down with left hand and starts picking the low E string as he raises the bar slowly to neutral position.

metallicafan647

#6 Post by metallicafan647 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:27 am

Yeah, sorry, I have been listening to Blue Powder alot latley, I must watch the Astoria DVD closley. :D

summer_sky

#7 Post by summer_sky » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:38 am

RAI wrote:If it sounds like a "gargle", then you're probably referring to "flutter".
This is accomplished by "hitting" the whammy bar, which causes it to vibrate fast. An example would be the ending of "Blue Powder".....

:)
does Steve do the "flutter" effect in 'Whispering A Prayer', too?

aaah, 'Blue Powder'.... i love that song.

Tony S

#8 Post by Tony S » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:10 am

Satch used to create a 'gargle' effect by sliding all the way up one string, thus raising the pitch, while simultaneously pushing down on the whammy bar, thus lowering the pitch. Timing the two things right, you get the pitch staying roughly the same, but a nice gargly sound !! Can't remember which songs he used that in though, off the top of my head.

Zebula77

#9 Post by Zebula77 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:58 pm

He does it on Ice 9 (probably some other tracks as well). Except it's reversed, so it's backwards. He refers to the trick as 'Lizard Down The Throat', heh. It's a pretty cool trick.

Brian=soa
Newcomer

#10 Post by Brian=soa » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:12 am

the gargling souund I think is made by steve or Joe....(it used to be called the lizard down the throught trick)

what you do is sit there with your whammy bar and you have to basically push down on the bar and move your fingers along the low E string this has to be done at the same speed!

Also they both incorporate a wah pedal....go home and try.....and do whats best!!!! EXPERIMENT!!!!

mxer

#11 Post by mxer » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:07 am

WOW i dont even have a floyd guitar and i know how to do it.
Take the bar and and raise or lower it.Now just let go. Dont bring it back down to neutral with your hand, just bring it up and let go.when you do,the bridge "flutters" trying to get back to zero.
If you do this and nothing happens ,you have a piece-o-crap(probaly korean made) floyd.I tried them on my friends korean-made Dean and nothing happens.

viz

#12 Post by viz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:25 am

The other thing he does is rotate the whammy bar so that it points away from the guitar body (in the opposite direction to the neck). THen he plucks a string and sweeps his right hand along the length of the whammy bar all the way to the end, and beyond, very fast and quite hard. A bit like at school when you get a ruler hanging over the edge of the desk and you push it down and then suddenly let go.

mxer

#13 Post by mxer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:57 pm

A bit like at school when you get a ruler hanging over the edge of the desk and you push it down and then suddenly let go.

Exactly!

the secret of love

#14 Post by the secret of love » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:39 am

unless you are talking of how to make a gargleing sound, rather than a gargle THE LIZARD DOWN THE THROAT IS NOT IT, you hit a note, preferably a high one, then push the whammy bar down a semitone as fast as possible, with one finger keeping that finger next to the end of the bar, then slide your finger off the bar, this should then let the whammy bar bounce back, and it springs, and makes an very gargling sound, it is extremely hard to do, i have been working on it for i week and i have just got it i think, if any of you get total guitar with the Joe Satriani video lesson, he does it on the first and vast clip, i had to figure out what to do so i think this is right, it sounds immense when you do it though

the secret of love

#15 Post by the secret of love » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:41 am

viz wrote:The other thing he does is rotate the whammy bar so that it points away from the guitar body (in the opposite direction to the neck). THen he plucks a string and sweeps his right hand along the length of the whammy bar all the way to the end, and beyond, very fast and quite hard. A bit like at school when you get a ruler hanging over the edge of the desk and you push it down and then suddenly let go.
that is a gargle to, just the other way round, you can do it either way and it gives you a slightly different effect, just as long as you hit it and slide your hand off, so it pings, and as you said at school when you get a ruler hanging over the edge of the desk and you push it down and then suddenly let go it is exactly that, i couldnt have put it better myself, oh by the way a flutter is exactly the same as a gargle