What Happened to Eddie's Tone?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

I'm going to be controversial and suggest that EVH's early tone was pretty bad in that it was so processed with reverb in places and slightly too fizzy-just listen to say, 'Runnin' with the Devil'. I think his tone was at its best on 1984 perhaps where he clearly eased off on the distortion a little. 5150 was just awash with chorus, but that was the fashion. F.U.C.K tone was pretty good though although noticeably more distorted. I suppose its all a matter of taste as to which you prefer.

I love George Lynch's tone personally-just check out the title track of Wicked Sensation by Lynch Mob-gorgeous sound.
boswell

Van Halen I, Diver Down and 1984 were his best to my ear.

Lynch's tone on Dokken's The Hunter was Awesome! 8)
Big Bad Bill

What about Yngwie's tone last night, boswell? Yes, inaudible! :wink:
boswell

hhhmmm interesting that Yngwie, someone so quick to criticise others doesn't ensure he gets his own act just so? :D
lydian2000

Hey guys, can't you post a more detailed review of yngwie's show?

Is he actually getting sloppier like I've been hearing for the last five years or so and becoming the shadow of himself(like so many these days)?

Judging from the videos of recent gigs EVH seems to be nailing most of it...by the way am I the only one having a different look at DLR since the(largely inspired from the eighties DLR I think) "dr roxo heavy metal clown" character appeared in Metalocalypse?

Still giggling...."doing cocaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnn"(metalocalypse)...hilarious.

:peace
Big Bad Bill

Well he seemed to play just as he ever did, from what I could hear-or rather he was as sloppy as he's ever been which comes from improvising on a theme rather than poor technique. . He played a good range of his catalogue with plenty of the classics plus one track from Concerto suite to a backing track. What let him down was the sound/tone-we could barely hear him above the keyboards and drums and we had to move to get a better audio impression, but it was still pretty bad. It was indistinct and didn't cut through the mix at all. He clearly realised this as he kept fiddle with his amp to no avail. His acoustic playing/tone was rubbish too: you could barely hear the pitch and just the 'pop' of the strings came through. Also his band were just awful: their timing was way out-the keyboardist in particular, really sloppy in fact, the singer was like 'renta-screamer' in that he tried to be charismatic and get the audience involved but failed (Sheffield audiences are notoriously undemonstrative of their appreciation, so to a band used to 'whooping' it must've been a little disconcerting) and the bass player was like a zombie, standing there with a blank expression and only his fingers moving! It was a very lacklustre and rather saddening. This means I've crossed two of my once heroes from my 'bands I will go and see' list, Yngwie and Satch. :(

At least Steve's still as brilliant as ever.
Big Bad Bill

27 wrote:At least Steve's still as brilliant as ever.
You know, Steve has runined my enjoyment of gigs because his are just so good, all others pale in comparison!
lydian2000

So, what's left for us then....? for me there's still Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, and Steve....(sighs)

scottinomaha

MikeB7070 wrote:Eddie's early sound had much to do with the recording process. I bet that if you could go back and stand in front of his cabs in 1979, they would sound alot different than what you hear on the recordings.

As far as the 5150's go, they always sounded buzzy to me with too much gain.
I quit using of all my other amps and play nothing now but my 5150 Sig. series and its all in how you set it up. I wasn't going for eddies sound I wanted a Soldano SLO 100 and since this particular model is based off of the SLO I went with it (Soldano is so expensive).

Something that I have noticed is that guitars (wood & pickups) definitely affect your sound emanating from your amp. My main guitar for several years was a late eighties Ibanez RG560 with an HS-3 in the neck and a Fred in the bridge position, then I switched the Fred last year for the Mojo and I was blown away by the difference in tone from my amp with the exact same settings. Then late last year I added a 2001 Jem back into my collection ( I went through a few till I ran across this particular beauty it just has an amazing sound that some others I played didn’t have) and my sound changed again.

So much goes into your tone from fingers (and how your soul is feeling that day) to string gauge straight on down the line.

Funny side note: My bass players sound the last few weeks has been pretty crappy and he was blaming it on the guitar chord he was using so he went out and bought another chord and nothing, so now he’s thinking his amp is acting up. He ends up thinking about the batteries that powered his preamp in the bass so he replaces it and bam sounds good again.

boswell

lydian2000 wrote:Hey guys, can't you post a more detailed review of yngwie's show?

Is he actually getting sloppier like I've been hearing for the last five years or so and becoming the shadow of himself(like so many these days)?
My review of the gig is pretty much the same as
Bill's.
He kicked off the set with Rising Force a song me and Bill were looking forward to, 30 seconds into the song we were wondering wether Yngwie had remembered to plug in as over to the left we couldn't hear him, we went and stood right in front of him and could still barely hear him. Yngwie was aware there was a problem as he fiddled with his amp settings throughout the gig to no avail he gave his guitar tech a look that said "you are gonna die later for this"
As for his playing it was sloppy and the band looked like they were just there for the pay cheque and truely didn't deserve paying for their lousey contribution.
The acoustic/classical section he does is truly awful http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IcG-FQyuX3k he really needs to learn to finger pick!

Now for the character assination I think the dudes lost the plot he threw a thousand pletrums a song to the crowd who clearly had no intention of catching any and his guitar tech spent most of the night cowering when in Yngwies prescence as though he was frightened of him.
Oh and of course there was the "Penis extension" wall of Marshall Vintage heads and 4x12's but only 2 of em were running! Maybe had he turned a few more on we could heard his sloppy "kid in guitar shop" shred.

Nah I'll not be paying to see him again.
lydian2000

wow...I think I can trust both of your judgments enough not to go and see him live.

:!:

Big Bad Bill

[quote="lydian2000"]So, what's left for us then....? for me there's still Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, and Steve....(sighs)/quote]Yeah that's about it and how often do Gilbert and Govan tour........ :cry:
boswell

So back on topic. Was it Eddie's gear changes or album production that wrecked his tone or a combination of both.

I think one of his biggest gear mistakes was playing guitars built for him rather than those built by him, the awful Music Man guitars are a case in point.
fixxer746

I think it was a combination of gear changes and album production. On 5150 and forthcoming albums eddie engineered a lot of the sound. Where as prior to that Don Landee had done most of the engineering.