What is with all the booing!?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Sweepinchord

Stu Hamm. Ok, thats probably all I have to say for you to understand what I'm talking about.

I just saw a couple of Satriani concert videos, Stu Hamm on bass. He is absolutely great, nice playing, good style, lots of feeling, fancy solos.. just everything. I smiled when I watched how well Satch and Stuart worked together, smooth and with perfect flow.

Then the music stops... Satch tells the crowd who's playing there on stage. Jeff Campitelli on the drums... Stu Hamm on the bass guitar... "BOOOO BOOO *whistle* Boo.. oohuuh" ... I sat there O___O

What the heck, why did they do that? He's great ok, come on. That whas live in sanfran, but I noticed it on G3 live in Concert aswell.

Tell me guys, and really... if you're a booer yourself, just why is Stu treated like this?
sonny sixshooter

They don't boo him, they Stuuu him.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

:roll:
lydian2000

actually i'd like to know the REAL story behind the booing in live in SF too, stu is obviously very upset from this as we can clearly see joe telling him to act as if nothing or stgh,(oh and in his bass solo the "country western" piece seems to be there for that precise reason but i'm too cynical)
now i'm sure judging by the cynical smiley :wink: Mikey put, the story has to be common knowledge it seems, so anybody would like to pull US out of our ignorance? :)
Vegas_Blues

Ummm......exactly what he just said....they are yelling "Stuuuu!!!" Not Booooo......Mikey rolled his eyes cause....how do you say this delicately......you are a........dumbass?? lol j/k
Satch: "They Stu Him cause they love him."
al

THEY STU HIM CAUSE THEY LOVE HIM!!

.... I know it was said i just wanted to say it again

if i ha da penny for everytime i heard this Question id have about 7p
ernzzz

if i was in that concert, i wont act like that... atleast not all the time.. i am a musician myself and i imagine how fucked got to be, to be booed...

the fact is, i remember mikey answering me this very same question on the chat, some months ago... i undertsand it could be a kind of "tradition" or whatever, for stu fans.. but i think that in the JS in SanFrancisco concert, the first two times that they "STU" him, satch face is like "ok 8) ".. but when the third time comes, and then the fourth its more like :? ... maybe like feeling sorry...

I dont know.. if i was him, i will feel sorry.. stu can be what you want, or look however you want, but his relation with music and instrument its true and for sure passionate... the man has a specially good tone.. and that proves taste.. and so i wont boo.. or STU too much..
SPQR

they are saying STU as far as i could gather like :lol: :lol:
5thD

OK...

They Are saying Stuuuuoooooooooo

Not Boooooooooo

Everybody knows Stu is freken awesome, they do this out of love

Joe is not mad, he knows they are not saying Booooooo

Hope that clears it up!
Shy Boy

Yeah, I heard that when they switched bass players that had to tell the audience to stop Stuuuing becuase it wasn't him up there anymore.
lydian2000

ok vegas i'm a"dumbass", and i do need to wash my eyes/ears, but it's to me SO OBVIOUS that it IS booing, u have crystal clear camera shots one of stu's "FANS" and i dunno but that guy, on top of looking very clever(!) is seeming to employ a lot of energy to BOO and the overall effect is unexplainable hatred(and ruining that segment of the show for world viewers btw). At another time stu points out to fans showing some gratitude in the totally opposite direction, now that speaks for itself IMO.

joe saying "they stuu him coz they love him", well ok this wasnt said to alleviate the tension?, knowing it was a live DVD and being filmed?, i watched it again last nite and stu hamm, according to you guyz, would be so ungrateful for appreciating this "love"? Joe does seem to be telling him something along the lines of"i know but keep smiling, we wont film another night".

And do you honestly maintain that stu is not being annoyed during his solo?

I'd feel ashamed of the vision i'd give of my town by acting the same on a live DVD concert. 5 pennies for each time u' ve been asked this question, right?
but then WHY would ppl ask this question over and over again?
prman

I know what Satch says of the "stuing" on the DVD but it is pretty obvious that the audience is really booing. I`ve watched the DVD many times and to this day my ear hasn`t catched any "S" letters in the beginning of the "stuing". The booing might have felt like a great idea at the moment but afterwards seeing that episode over and over again on DVD might feel quite embarrassing. The explanation of "stuing" is only Joe`s attempt to save the faces of his fans and has become a mantra to people who participated in it.
NantucketSleighrider

Is this thread a joke? I can only repeat what has been said so many times already...

THEY ARE NOT BOOING HIM!

THEY ARE SHOUTING "STUUUUUU!!"

Jeez! Get a grip!
lydian2000

NantucketSleighrider wrote:Is this thread a joke? I can only repeat what has been said so many times already...

THEY ARE NOT BOOING HIM!

THEY ARE SHOUTING "STUUUUUU!!"

Jeez! Get a grip!
funny there are two sorts of posts in this thread, those who want to understand and bring constructive arguments,who quote very specific moments on the DVD, and others who call names and shout, humm well i encourage all those who have an explanation or an opinion to share it, and please watch the actual DVD before posting.
Taylor

prman wrote: I`ve watched the DVD many times and to this day my ear hasn`t catched any "S" letters in the beginning of the "stuing".
Sorry for not seen the dvd before this post. But I have a little theory about the missing S.
When the "Stuu -ing" is begun it's just not possible to hear the S because it's generated by a few people at first, and it's a very short sound. Then they hold the U for as long as needed for more people to fall in on the strong long sound of UUU.

Could it be so?