Sony recalls the G3 Tokyo cd with copy protection

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
HeBoMan

Sony recalls the G3 Tokyo cd with copy protection

#1 Post by HeBoMan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:13 pm

November 18, 2005
To Our Valued Customers:

You may be aware of the recent attention given to the XCP content protection software included on some SONY BMG CDs. This software was provided to us by a third-party vendor, First4Internet. Discussion has centered on security concerns raised about the use of CDs containing this software.

We share the concerns of consumers regarding these discs, and we are instituting a mail-in program that will allow consumers to exchange any CD with XCP software for the same CD without copy protection and receive MP3 files of the same title. We also have asked our retail partners to remove all unsold CDs with XCP software from their store shelves and inventory. Please click here for exchange program details.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers and we are committed to making this situation right. It is important to note that the issues regarding these discs exist only when they are played on computers, not on conventional, non-computer-based CD and/or DVD players.

Our new initiatives follow the measures we have already taken, including the voluntary suspension of the manufacture of CDs with the XCP software. In addition, to address security concerns, we provided to major software and anti-virus companies a software update, which also may be downloaded at http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html. We will shortly provide a simplified and secure procedure to uninstall the XCP software if it resides on your computer.

Ultimately, the experience of consumers is our primary concern, and our goal is to help bring our artists' music to as broad an audience as possible. Going forward, we will continue to identify new ways to meet demands for flexibility in how you and other consumers listen to music.

Please click here for an FAQ on this topic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2005 Sony BMG Music Entertainment. All rights reserved.
"Sony" and "BMG", as used in the name "Sony BMG Music Entertainment", and in the Sony BMG Music Entertainment logo, are trademarks of, and are used under license from, Sony Corporation and Bertelsmann AG, respectively.
Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

brentm

#2 Post by brentm » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:03 pm

Where do you read that the G3 CD was 'recalled'.

From what I see, there has been *NO* RECALL, only an offer/download to uninstall the software.

brentm

#3 Post by brentm » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:04 pm

You can exchange your current disc for another version w/o the malware, but still NO RECALL.

http://www.upsrow.com/sonybmg/

sonny sixshooter

#4 Post by sonny sixshooter » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:12 am

...provide the shipping information in the United States
Great... so now all american computers are safe.

HeBoMan

#5 Post by HeBoMan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:38 pm

brentm wrote:Where do you read that the G3 CD was 'recalled'.

From what I see, there has been *NO* RECALL, only an offer/download to uninstall the software.
Yes, you're right. Recall is not mentioned here. I ordered my cd from amazon and this is what amazon sent me. In the mail, amazon writes about a Sony recall.....

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about your order for the following CD(s):

Live In Tokyo

The Sony CD(s) listed above contain XCP digital rights management
(DRM) software. Due to security concerns raised about the use of CDs containing this software on PCs, Sony has recalled these CDs and has asked Amazon.com to remove all unsold CDs with XCP software from our store.

Since you purchased this CD from Amazon.com, you may return it to us for a full refund regardless of whether the CD is opened or unopened.
Just visit www.amazon.com/returns and indicate that the CD is "defective" as the reason for return.

Thank you for your understanding. We hope to see your again soon at Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com

Customer Service

Mattw

#6 Post by Mattw » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:21 pm

I recently purchased the dvd from a UK web site and it turn out to be the NTSC USA version. I guess there won't be a PAL version. This was still fine as it was region free. I wanted the CD as well but there doesn't seem to be a UK release either.

I was going to get an imported CD but I'm not going to support Sony's disgusting treatment of its customers by buying something that isn't a proper audio CD - i.e. meeting the industry standards.

I hate not buying because I want to support the artists who's work I really do appreciate but if we buy and accept this product then they will only do more of the same in the future. It is ironic as the only people the copy protection causes problems to are honest buyers - the pirates just remove it and sell disks without any on them. Something is wrong when the official version is crippled and the cheap copy is technically better.

I guess I will stick with the DVD alone for now. If they release a real audio CD the money is waiting.