Steve's Special Pickup

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Optiquest

I'm thinking about getting this pickup to go along with a HS-2 and Evo in the neck on my RG1570. I can't decide between the special or another Evo or another Dimarzio pup. One thing I'm worried about it having 2 'lead' pickups, although I heard that chords don't run togethor on this pickup. Any opinions?

Isn't this pickup used on 'Evo' ?
Last edited by Optiquest on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guyver_dio

I have a Evo in the bridge, HS-3 (YJM) in mid and a PAF Pro in the neck. I find this an excellent combination for me. evo for solo's, YJM for a nice clean tone and the PAF Pro for a nice 'ballsey' tone.

i don't know if you tried the PAF Pro's yet, but i like them alot.
RAI

Optiquest wrote:I'm thinking about getting this pickup..

Isn't this pickup used on 'Evo' ?
Are you asking if "Steve's Special" is being used on Evo?
Evo has (believe it or not) Evo's on it.
That's how it got its name.....

8)
Optiquest

I was thinking the bar type sustainer on FLO was an early Steve's Special on Evo. What guitar/song does Steve use this on?
Optiquest

Double post
RAI

Optiquest wrote:I was thinking the bar type sustainer on FLO was an early Steve's Special on Evo. What guitar/song does Steve use this on?
You'll find the Sustainer (made by Fernandes guitars) on "Whispering a prayer". The "Steve's Special" is just a "regular" humbucker.
And I don't think Steve uses that pickup at all.
The "Steve" in "Steve's Special" is Steve Blucher of DiMarzio, not Steve Vai.

:)
Optiquest

RAI wrote: The "Steve" in "Steve's Special" is Steve Blucher of DiMarzio, not Steve Vai.

AH HAH! :lol:
ricardo_impellitteri

that pickup it´s used by john petrucci i have one in my rg270 i think it´s cool but a couple of dudes tried my guitar they didn´t like it they said it was a very sharp sound
bytorsnow

besides the fernandes sustainer is there any other pick up to get that sustain without having the piece on the headstock.Im looking into getting one this week and would like some feedback. thanx :guitar
RAI

There is also a unit called the "Sustainiac", which used to come on Kramer guitars. It's available as a stand-alone unit.

http://www.sustainiac.com

Then there's always the Ebow if you don't want to get to involved....

j.arledge

i thought steve special was steve morse's second pickup. Dont really know but the sustainer has been talkewd about alot and if you do a search you can find some cool stuff over it. :lol: