Equipment i need for a good home studio

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
jamtheguitarman

Im starting from scratch hear with a budjet of around £2000 (the joy of a student loan!). what equipment would i need to be able to record a high quality instrumentle guitar album on my pc. as i said i am starting from scratch, therefore i need a pc, softwear, and anything else i might need. i want to be able to make the drum tracks on the computer, add some keyboard and construct the bass lines on the computer. can you get good sounding bass lines using your computer? also add some diffrent insruments using the computer, for example do what vai does and add a sitar or some weird sound things. i am currently using a line 6 flextone 3 amp. would it be better to put the amp straight into the computer or mike it up. i realise lots of people are asking the same sort of questions but you would be helping me out significantley as i am lost. Thanks
Vaiper

Pretty Musch the only Thing i could recommend is a Digidesign MBox. comes with pro tools which is the industry standard,plus loads of plugins and u can pick one up for as low as just under £400 right HERE
Pro-string strummer

if you have a good computer then buy a pro tools digirack 002, if tyou get it by itself it's about 1200, then you get some mics and your fuken set dude!
Bold_As_Love

any of the new boss multi tracks would work. tons of effects, programmable drum machine, 8 tracks. 64 digital tracks. that thing owns. then you could get some mics too. and maybe a bass. i wouldnt trust a computer making a bass line.
FinnJ

Pro-string strummer wrote:if you have a good computer then buy a pro tools digirack 002, if tyou get it by itself it's about 1200, then you get some mics and your fuken set dude!

the 002R a fantastic piece of gear + you also get pro tools software with it, all you need is a decent pc and your ready to go. the only problem with is that your are restricted to 32 tracks of audio. but then again. thats alora tracks :)
Pro-string strummer

you can also compile the tracks in V tracks, and make more digitracks... but takes some time if your layering midi files over midi
jamtheguitarman

thanks for all your responses. the computer i currently got aint up to those standereds so i need a new computer. the £2000 has to cover buying a new pc as well as all the softwhere and such. Is pro tools le any good, are the plug ins good sounding? are there any better out there in the same price bracket?is there any point in getting the digi 002 instead of the Mbox, considering im not recording a band? once again, thanks for all your help people.
Pro-string strummer

fist of all, pro tools LE is mandatory to work with an out board rack or desk mount input console. the package for protools software and the rack is like about 1200 canadian... and you dont need the best computer... what type of computer and waht's running it would help me to help you
markelia

I am curious about what the advantage of ProTools is, as compared to cheaper software, like Cool Edit Pro? Are there huge advantages in mixing and mastering to get that really "polished" sound?
Pro-string strummer

the bit rate which can be transferred is alot better and it has it's own input rack, you have to use it with it unless it's the free version that is garbage anyways. But it's better than pluging your guitar from a pedal into your computer...
jamtheguitarman

the bit rate which can be transferred is alot better
Does that mean better sound quality?

I have a line 6 flextone 3 which can just be plugged into the computer using a midi cable so is that not a good idea?is it better to mike the amp up instead?
Anyone recommend a good computer for me to buy?
thanks.
Brian L.

I'm no expert on computer based digital recording and I'm not even sure if its the best way to go as I am currently struggling with getting a good sound onto my computer on a small budget too. I can comment on the situation with the computer though. Depending on what computer you have now, you may not have to buy a new one at all. If you don't already know this, it is possible to updgrade you computer with better components. In particular a good sound card and RAM. Not sure about any of your other inquires, but sometimes its not neccessary to by a whole new computer, just upgrade the one you have. I would think that if you have atleast a pentium three processor on a windows based sytem with atleast a 1.6 GHz processor speed, you should be good to go by upgrading the sound card and RAM. RAM should be upgraded to atleast 1.00 GB. This will save you some money to use for the other stuff you need. After that you can find out how to go about getting a good sound into the computer and what tools you should use. Hope this helps you. I'm posting a new thread with questions about getting a good sound onto a computer and maybe we will get some more responses.

--Brian
Brian L.

I see a lot of information in the forum about computer recording. Looks like a good sound card, software, RAM and big hard drive are the important things. If you don't need to buy a whole new computer you should be able to do it on your budget with money to spare. For myself I'll be trying a new mic to start with. Looking at a shure sm57 http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/sm57.asp

--Brian
jamtheguitarman

Depending on what computer you have now, you may not have to buy a new one at all.
Thanks for your reply Brian.
My computer has an AMD duron proccesor, i think the speed is only about 650Mhz.
I only have about 190mb Ram.
2 gb of storage space, a crap 14inch monitor,bad speakers.Also i only have win98 second edition. as you can see its pretty old.
This is a very long way away from what i would need so i dont know if its worth upgrading my pc or just buying a new one.
Brian L.

jamtheguitarman. Sounds like you might be better off getting a new computer. Not sure what is best a Windows Machine or a Macintosh, but I see some Windows based Dell computers for good prices. About $700.00 Untited States dollars. If you get one you can add a second hard drive and more ram for about $350 - $400. It still looks like you would have some money left over for the software and good sound card.

--Brian