What are the chances of a legacy practice amp?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
pjaydee

Hi Guys,

Im currently searching for an amp to play at home, looking around i do have a few choices. I wondered if Carvin have ever thought of doing a Legacy Combo that would be anywhere from 5w-30w for all us home players? I know Peavey did the Mini Colossal with Joe Satriani..just a thought?...what ya think?
Last edited by pjaydee on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patill

as it seems you can play the Legacy II at home. Check out the thread!
Jeries

A 2x12 is practically a practice amp for home use.

And all the wattage doesn't really mean anything anyway--a 15 watt amp isnt twice as loud as a 30 watt amp, for twice the sound or loudness of a 15 watt amp you need a 150 watt amp...

Plus the legacy has a switch (the new one) for 25w 50w and 100w
pjaydee

Jeries wrote:A 2x12 is practically a practice amp for home use.

And all the wattage doesn't really mean anything anyway--a 15 watt amp isnt twice as loud as a 30 watt amp, for twice the sound or loudness of a 15 watt amp you need a 150 watt amp...

Plus the legacy has a switch (the new one) for 25w 50w and 100w
Hi Jeries,

Thanks for that...could you explain a little further..im not sure i follow, twice 15w would be 30w wouldnt it? Sorry im new to this side of things...excuse me for being thick but would like to know more about wattage and how it converts etc if you can....interesting!

Thx :)
Jeries

ok...

i think i've mentioned this before in the forum cuz its a big fact most guitarists don't understand- or just think incorrectly on.. and its understandable cuz its fairly weird and doesn't make sence, people seem to get the wrong ideas based on these facts and what they see and tend to speak incorrectly on amps and stuff....

HERE GOES>>>
People tend to think more watts=more sound...thats not really true

Watts are kind of a bullshit thing.
basically... people tend to think that the more watts you have the louder the sound is, and thats not really true. people also think that a 30 watt guitar amp is twice as loud as a 15 watt guitar amp- also false...

Watts is a unit of power- to get double the perceived volume of something you need to multiply the watts by 10..

so if i want to play twice as loud as a 15 watt amp, i would need a 150 watt amp.
If i were running a 200 Watt PA system and i wanted to build a PA twice as loud- i would need a 2000 Watt PA system.

so there really isnt much of a difference between a 50 watt amp and a 100 watt amp... theres really not much of a difference between 100 watt amp and 150- it may look on paper like its 50 watts louder but its only 1/10th as much louder in terms of hearable loundess

and people measure things differently and it leaves room for bullshit- so thats where you get the car stereos that are rated at like 10,000 watts...

also the louder things get your ears naturally compress things a certain way---

SO in conclusion
to double the sound of something, you must x the watts by 10.
Patill

pjaydee wrote:im not sure i follow, twice 15w would be 30w wouldnt it?
well, you´re right about that ;). But that doesn´t mean the sound is twice as loud. There´s a formula with log and something, with which you can calculate the % an amp is louder than another with diffrent wattage. I have to search for it....

There it is ;):

X% louder = 2^log10(P2/P1) * 100%
loran333

this man built a "baby legacy" = 10 watts

http://www.putfile.com/album/123922?pos=top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://media.putfile.com/ampli-disto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.guitariste.com/forums/amplif ... 58654.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pjaydee

Jeries wrote:ok...

i think i've mentioned this before in the forum cuz its a big fact most guitarists don't understand- or just think incorrectly on.. and its understandable cuz its fairly weird and doesn't make sence, people seem to get the wrong ideas based on these facts and what they see and tend to speak incorrectly on amps and stuff....

HERE GOES>>>
People tend to think more watts=more sound...thats not really true

Watts are kind of a bullshit thing.
basically... people tend to think that the more watts you have the louder the sound is, and thats not really true. people also think that a 30 watt guitar amp is twice as loud as a 15 watt guitar amp- also false...

Watts is a unit of power- to get double the perceived volume of something you need to multiply the watts by 10..

so if i want to play twice as loud as a 15 watt amp, i would need a 150 watt amp.
If i were running a 200 Watt PA system and i wanted to build a PA twice as loud- i would need a 2000 Watt PA system.

so there really isnt much of a difference between a 50 watt amp and a 100 watt amp... theres really not much of a difference between 100 watt amp and 150- it may look on paper like its 50 watts louder but its only 1/10th as much louder in terms of hearable loundess

and people measure things differently and it leaves room for bullshit- so thats where you get the car stereos that are rated at like 10,000 watts...

also the louder things get your ears naturally compress things a certain way---

SO in conclusion
to double the sound of something, you must x the watts by 10.
Ah ha! OK i think im beginning to get it!! So if i had a 5w amp and wanted twice as loud id need a 50w amp?
Guitarmiester

pjaydee wrote:Hi Guys,

Im currently searching for an amp to play at home, looking around i do have a few choices. I wondered if Carvin have ever thought of doing a Legacy Combo that would be anywhere from 5w-30w for all us home players? I know Peavey did the Mini Colossal with Joe Satriani..just a thought?...what ya think?
The Legacy is FAR from being a practice amp. The Mini Colossal sounds like ass. You can do much better for the price with some research.