hot plate attenuator ohm question...

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
boswell

NOT!!! wrote: The Hot Plate makes your amp sound like a Chainsaw, I sense that more as a bad noise than as a guitar signal coming out of the amp.
I wonder if that what I was hearing on Ain's Cornford?

I'd ask Pod about taking your amp across to electro and trying one out.

Big Bad Bill

Yes, I wonder!

Thanks for that NOT! I think I'll have to try it out with my amp as you suggest boswell. Fancy a trip to Donny, mate?
boswell

Yeah I'm always up for a trip to a guitar emporium :)

Couple of reviews here: http://www.zzounds.com/item--THDHP reckon they can colour your sound depeding on settings.
Big Bad Bill

boswell wrote:Yeah I'm always up for a trip to a guitar emporium :)

Couple of reviews here: http://www.zzounds.com/item--THDHP reckon they can colour your sound depeding on settings.
Yeah I was aware of that colouration especially on the highest level of attenuation which is what I'd most likely to be using. But the 'bright' and 'deep' switches seemed to compensate for this with Ain's pretty well.

I was playing last night and I'm really happy with my tone, so I'm wondering if I should really bother at all-it could be an expensive white elephant. Are the delights of power stage distortion similar to the maple/rosewood/ebony debate? I'll see what Pod says, eh?
boswell

It would be good to listen to one through your amp, I know Pod's response will be why change something for changes sake he was like that when I was on about removing the tone pot from my Spirit, why spend the cash if there's no need.

Of course the tone chaser in me says lets try one :)
Big Bad Bill

I've been reading quite a few reviews about the Hot Plate and as a consequence I've decided not to buy one. The main reason is that at the greatest level of attenuation (-16dB) some reviews from the more articulate reviewers ("this is awesome dude" does not constitute a review in my opinion!) suggest a buzzy, glassy characteristic creeps in that cannot be dialled out or compensated by the unit or EQ. Since this is the level I'm likely to most use, I've decided to save my money. I'm actually happy with my tone because I have the master fairly high (5) and keep the volume down with my TC G Major output controls.

It seems sensible reviewers are suggesting that, by way of analogy, you can't expect a sports car, whose drive wheels are made to deliberately 'wheel spin' to keep the speed down, to perform in the same way it would when unencumbered!
boswell

So what can we use as an excuse to visit a guitar shop now?
Big Bad Bill

boswell wrote:So what can we use as an excuse to visit a guitar shop now?
We're grown men-we don't need excuses (how about we're buying 'her' a present?)
pagliai

well ,like you know big bad bill if you turn down the volume of the fx loop is the same like you turn down the master volume 'cause you don't load the power stage.

i repeat i 've got 2 thd 'cause i play in stereo and i use it on stage to crank the heads.

Of course the tone changes but there aren't any other options to play at home.

Better...there are other options but thd is the nearest to a ....sound.

i bought all of these things ,silent speaker.......a lot of things ala thd......and i modded my amps to go at 12w......
12w is amazin but it is too loud......silent speakers sucks.....thd is the better way.

In the night i use a jmp1 directly in the soundcard into nuendo(i remember good i think you should have got a soundcard) ,really heavily equalized with an anwida 31 bands eq and a lot of plugins to adjust the tone......or i play with no ampin guitar so i can work on the notes one on one ...it is great 'cause you can hear a great difference when you 'll amp the guitar.....but it needs a great work 'cause you can't hear if you are playin the mutin in the correct way.

Also i gave a try to guitar rig 3.0 last week....well ......with a lot of eq ....it works.

at the end these are the things .....maybe in 2010/2020 decade 'll come out something better.......but now....that's all
Big Bad Bill

I hear what you're saying, pagliai. I'm going to call my THD stockist and see if I can try one out at home on my own rig somehow. This is the only way, I'm going to get a definitive answer to if its worth buying!
pagliai

it is a smart thing ,yes i agree with you.... try to buy yes
Stephen Brown

NOT!!! wrote:wow, thatone´s even more expensive :shock:.
Koch Loadbox II is ment to be the bees knees. So I hear.

Quality comes at a price.

http://www.soundperformancelab.com/index.php?id=63&L=1
^
Joe Satriani uses this.Bill. My mag's review said this was great. I could go into one about how this & that is good but ya get the picture. Pro stuff. Amazing price.

Def on the list for dream gear..
Big Bad Bill

Well, the very nice people at Electromusic in Doncaster have said I can buy a Hot Plate, try it and if I don't like it, return it for a full refund! So I'll be heading off over there soon to pick it up and I'll give you my frank opinion later on!
Big Bad Bill

Boswell and I have spent quite some time with the Hot Plate, trying different settings, this and that. We both felt it introduced an unmusical 'brittleness' to the sound-almost like digital quantisation noise-whereas without the Hot Plate, my amps lower master volume tone was much smoother and pleasing to the ear.

For this price, I couldn't live with the THD so I will be returning it to the brilliant people at Electromusic.
NOT!!!

Big Bad Bill wrote:reviews from the more articulate reviewers ("this is awesome dude" does not constitute a review in my opinion!) suggest a buzzy, glassy characteristic creeps in that cannot be dialled out or compensated by the unit or EQ. Since this is the level I'm likely to most use, I've decided to save my money.[/color]

or you could spend less money than for a HotPlate and go for a Weber Attenuator, which does NOT come up with these problems.

I´m sounding like Weber himself, lol. Seriously, what you search for is a Weber attenuator. I´ve got a Mass Lite.

[/url]