hot plate attenuator ohm question...

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
moop24

should i get the 16ohm attenuator if im using just one cab? im not sure about the amount of ohms. thanks!
Jeries

it depends on the ohms of the head and cab
pagliai

what kind of cab do you play?brand and model
Big Bad Bill

I'm seriously thinking about getting the 16ohm Hot Plate for my Peavey 5150 head and cab. Although I'm happy with my tone, I've heard so much about 'pushing the power amp' and how sweet power amp distortion is, but of course, I wish to keep my hearing intact and have good relations with my neighbours, so the THD-the Rolls Royce of attenuators seems the logical, albeit most expensive, way to go.
pagliai

correct big bad bill ,do it
justcartilage

I run a Hot Plate with my Legacy and I bloody love it. Obviously with the Legacy being a loud as it is, it's hard to really push it without going deaf and pissing the neighbours off. The THD really lets its true tone sing and in some respects because of its features, it improves the amp's overall tone/sound even without pushing it. I never plug in without it.

:)
Big Bad Bill

I heard one in action the other day at my guitar tutor's place and was impressed, although because I wasn't familiar with his Cornford, I couldn't really assess the colouration its said to impart upon the sound, but I suppose a tweak of the amp's EQ etc would soon sort this out. So that's my Christmas pressie sorted!
pagliai

well,thd change the tone at all,anyway what we can do....?at the end it is good enough.
with low attenuations it works pretty good.
Big Bad Bill

Well its the -16dB attenuation that I'm most likely to use at home where I play exclusively. I'm fairly certain that with the combination of the bright/deep switches on the Hot Plate, the EQ section on my amp and a BBE Sonic Maximizer I'll be able to maintain/create the sound I like.
pagliai

at home uuuuuuuh,i msorry i didn't understand you wanna use it at home,sorry.
yes at all ,it 'll solve a lot of troubles at home really a lot
NOT!!!

f*ck the hot plate and get a Weber Mass Attenuator.

The Hot plate gives the amp a very unnatural sound. And it´s overpriced by far. The weber is worth all of its money and doesn´t change the amp sound at all!!!!
Stephen Brown

Big Bad Bill wrote:I'm seriously thinking about getting the 16ohm Hot Plate for my Peavey 5150 head and cab. Although I'm happy with my tone, I've heard so much about 'pushing the power amp' and how sweet power amp distortion is, but of course, I wish to keep my hearing intact and have good relations with my neighbours, so the THD-the Rolls Royce of attenuators seems the logical, albeit most expensive, way to go.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=609600

Some famous dudes use the palmer. Maybe the PDI-03.
NOT!!!

wow, thatone´s even more expensive :shock:.

Really, I can only tell, try a Weber Attenuator. They are made with speakermotor to absolutely keep the natural sound of the amp, and it works...and how it works!!!!!!

Best Attenuator I´ve ever heard (and only one I would ever buy). I compared that one with a Hot Plate and man does that thin suck.......

forgot:

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
Big Bad Bill

NOT!!! wrote:Best Attenuator I´ve ever heard (and only one I would ever buy). I compared that one with a Hot Plate and man does that thin suck.......
What's so bad about the THD Hot Plate? The Harmony Central reviews are very favourable. I'd like to know before I consider buying!
NOT!!!

I tested the Hot Plate three times over the years playing the guitar, because tube saturation and a cranking power amp always was very mysterious and very good to experiment with. So I was searching for something to reach what I wanted.

(just to let you know that I´ve had a HotPlate three times at home...)

The Hot Plate makes your amp sound like a Chainsaw, I sense that more as a bad noise than as a guitar signal coming out of the amp. It totally takes away the warmth and the character it should have in saturation, the sound is somewhat sterile and cold.

With the Weber I´m completely satisfied, I´ve never had such a good attenuator. You don´t even have to buy a specific one for your ohms (what for anyway???). It keeps the warmth of the amp and yes, you can change the sound over the attenuator (if you like to...) but it will always keep its character. Since I have the Weber (Mass Lite) I know why all those guys praise a cranked amp.