What do I really need for a home studio?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
al

i got bored... theres my setup, simple as pie, 2 inputs for recording guitars mainly

the podxt is going into both the computers onboard soundcard and into the mbox, the keyboard is run stereo into the mbox also + the keyboard is MIDI enabled via usb

thats the setup i got cause i intended to use 2 mics to record guitars and the keyboard is hooked up accordingly also for added fun
honeybadger

I have recently ordered this:-

http://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Guitarist ... Laptop/997

Now I dont know for sure if its gonna do everything it says on the tin, but I am hoping it will be enough for what I want.

If anyone out there knows a lot about this kinda stuff please post, I could do with the advice. :D

I figured it was ok spec for the money plus my old PC died recently (rip). So, in effect I was looking for a replacment PC and something to start me off recording my own stuff.

I guess I will know soon enough if its crap,lol.

Fingers crossed. :shock:
Big Bad Bill

So come on honeybadger, what's the new home studio like then?
honeybadger

It came today.
Oh my f(&^*&^$£&(&% good God!!!!
Its just given me 4 nervous breakdowns.its very complex Iccy, you were right...a bit more than i needed I think.

its an amazing piece of kit...really really amazing, however I have read all the manuals 4 (not like me to read manuals,lol)times and am none the wiser as to how I can make it all work.

Altogether there are 4 differant pieces of music software. The stealth plug is the simplist to work out I think. Gonna have a do with that tomo. The Sampletank and Amplitube 2 are both big studio programs. Makie tracktion is the other(I think thats what its called).that looks similar to the Cakewalk, Cubase type interface so, again that may not take a great deal to work out if I work hard at it.Then there are other trial bits and bobs like riff....something or other,lol.

Anyway, its a wild bit of kit and the laptop aint bad either. the stealthplug works kinda like a plugin sound card....its pretty funky.

You can get like 20,000 amp sounds, all taken from samples...then ya mix them up with upto 24+ lots of effects on 2 channels...is bizzarre hehehe. thats the Amplitube software that just baffles me.

oh well, its early days yet. My mind has completely melted today, so i wouldnt be suprised if I got some of the program names wrong i have seen that many tonight. Was decorating and Spring cleaning (yes in Sept) most of the day till it arrived. Isnt it always the same....they said it would be here before 10.00, but no sign of it till 3:30!!So once it did arrive, the bedroom was upside down and I didnt even manage to get it outta the box till 7:30!!!!!Still, I have a feeling I may have to get a "tecky" in to help me get to grips with the whole thing. So, now I dont only need a tutor, I need a tutor that knows his software? :shock: Any ideas?
Big Bad Bill

Don't get into a tizz about it. Just experiment. Plug in your axe, get a sound, open up the recorder and hit 'record'. Stop, delete it, record again, save it somewhere you can find it again. Open up the file, see if you can highlight bits and delete them, add effects etc etc. Just play with it for a while. You won't be making brilliant recordings in the next few weeks but you will be getting familiar with an exciting tool that will help you achieve your goals.

I envy the fun you're going to have!
NOT!!!

hmm, what do you need the mbox for if you have a PODxt?

That´s what it´s made for, to connect it to a computer with USB.
honeybadger

Big Bad Bill wrote:Don't get into a tizz about it. Just experiment. Plug in your axe, get a sound, open up the recorder and hit 'record'. Stop, delete it, record again, save it somewhere you can find it again. Open up the file, see if you can highlight bits and delete them, add effects etc etc. Just play with it for a while. You won't be making brilliant recordings in the next few weeks but you will be getting familiar with an exciting tool that will help you achieve your goals.

I envy the fun you're going to have!
Cheers Iccy.
I really do wish it was that systematic(sp)?Press record etc....but I guess it will get easier as I go along. :lol:

Hopefully when you get your "Die to live" sorted you could record it here??That would be a real blast :D
Take care. I will keep ya posted.