Amp settings and effects for legato with gain/overdrive

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Jon Gunnar

When I play fast runs on an overdriven electric guitar and I crank the volume up, it tends to sound better if I pick every note than if I use mostly hammerons and pulloffs (legato), because I can hear every note. With legato, the notes tend to blend into each other more.

How can I finetune the sound on my amp and/or effects so that legato sounds good and every note can be heard? Is the trick to use a compressor effect, perhaps? Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
blackwell

Maybe Working on your technique might help with the sound. You might not be getting every note clear and precise and this will be no fault of your amp. Also remeber to mute the strings as much as possible as this will clean up any unwanted noise and make your legato sound cleaner.
A compressor will make your legato sound a little clearer as it will balance out the volume of notes. But again you should be able to get close to this if you practice enough with your hands.
:D
BLackwell xx
Jon Gunnar

Thanks! I was aware of that and I have been improving that, actually. So do you guys think that we've covered everything that important to make legato sound clean and good (technique, muting, compressor)?

Btw. the next last technique in this video shows Richie Kotzen demonstrate the kind of legato sound and technique that I'm looking for (pretty Satriani like):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKyu0DXPGyc
NOT!!!

what amp do you have? if it´s a Fender, forget it ;).
Jon Gunnar

Carvin amp.
joebot

I have a crate blue voodoo and a Marshall JCM 2000, the Marshall has to have the gain set to full and the crate to about 3 o'clock to get a good clean sound playing legato, especially muted legato.

I have been considering slapping a emg afterburner in my guitar, I have one that I have never used, that way I can dial in more preamp.

I hate active pickups, they just sound brittle and overly compressed. This way I can dial in just a small amount just to give me that extra boost!.

Maybe this is what your looking for?

I have always said that if you add masses of compression and the like it ruins your tone!.
Jon Gunnar

Now I'm thinking that a bit more gain is what I need. Hmmmm?

Anyone else want to chime in?
boswell

Jon Gunnar wrote:Thanks! I was aware of that and I have been improving that, actually. So do you guys think that we've covered everything that important to make legato sound clean and good (technique, muting, compressor)?

Btw. the next last technique in this video shows Richie Kotzen demonstrate the kind of legato sound and technique that I'm looking for (pretty Satriani like):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKyu0DXPGyc
The guy in this clip is using very little "Overdrive" hence you can "hear all the notes"
al

lil compression will help get the notes out there my ocmpressors on 95% of the time
lydian2000

brother al wrote:lil compression will help get the notes out there my ocmpressors on 95% of the time
:D could you tell us what ocmpressors you use? because I like your sounds.

:peace
Jon Gunnar

I just got myself a Zoom Gfx8 effect gadget that fixed my problem! It turned out that it was quality sustain that I needed, not compression!
al

I just have the marshalll ed-1 compressor, its a great little simple compressor,

theres also an overdrive and eq on sometimes too, but a lil compression goes a long way for nice leads and nice cleans
Jon Gunnar

Don't you get a little bit of compression with overdrive/sustain/gain/distortion?
bancika

Jon Gunnar wrote:I just got myself a Zoom Gfx8 effect gadget that fixed my problem! It turned out that it was quality sustain that I needed, not compression!
compression and sustain are very related. Compression is basically amplifying low level signal and reducing high level signal. You need the first part in order to get sustain.

addition: and overdrive is just a form of compression. Low level signal is amplified and high level signal is clipped, so you get pretty much the same thing just with the distortion.
Jon Gunnar

Thanks, bancika!