Have you replaced or changed the tubes in your Carvin Legacy

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
TheRocKsTaR777

I'm curious.I've had mine for 2-3 months.The tone is great,although im a little curious as to possibly changing the tubes just to see what kind of different tones there are out there.Has anyone on here changed their tubes ? and if so,what kind and why ? what kind of tones are you getting ?I love the tone on the amp now,but hey I know sometimes u fiddle around with some stuff and end up liking it.
NOT!!!

i´ll stay with the stock tubes, but maybe next year I´ll have to renew them.

Also, tubes are not really decisive.

The only thing I´d like to know is, how the amp sounds with 6L6es
TheRocKsTaR777

very true.I have a friend of has a legacy too..and I played on his,and his sounds alot more aggressive,I asked him what the difference was,and he told me he recently changed out the tubes for some mesa boogie tubes,only thing is he didnt which exact ones they were since the guy that sold them to him said they were for mesa boogie and that they'd work :?
Guitarmiester

They aren't actually Mesa Boogie tubes, it's only their name on them.

I just got a Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo, the stock tubes aren't bad. I already had to swap out one of the tube preamp tubes because it was pretty much shot. I'm thinking about retubing the thing, not too sure yet. I'll most likely retube it with JJ's, if I do I'll let you know what I think.
TheRocKsTaR777

kool thanks man..yea I got the idea today,cuz I noticed I reverb had gone out on my amp and i've only had it 2 months,so I called up carvin and they were kool guys and they basically walked me thru in changing one of the preamp tubes and voila ! my reverb is back,just by swapping some tubes.Thing is I now noticed there was a glassy-rattley sound if I strum,and its pretty noticeable NOW.Carvin says its probably the tube that went out in the first place,which is why I was having trouble with my reverb,so long story short,theyre sending me some new tubes which are 12AX7Rs and Im running 12X7Cs..So we'll see how that goes.Hopefully it'll take care of the problem and sound better,if not im gonna have to look into some other tubes.So if you all try some other tubes,let me know.
bunyok23
Newcomer

try shuguang 6l6. sounds best.
DiMarzio

I wonder how 6550/KT88's would sound in a legacy..
bancika

It wouldn't be too easy to swap EL34 with KT88 without any mods...
justcartilage

Hey,

I bought my Legacy secondhand, and the previous owner had switched to 5881 tubes. I loved the sound when I got it, but I wanted to hear what the amp would have sounded like originally, so I picked up a matched set of Electroharmonix EL34's and I've never looked back. Not sure what brand EL34's it comes loaded with, but Electroharmonix are lovely.

In regards to the difference, I think the 5881's had a bit more of a british/punk sound. The sound reminded me of a Laney head I used to have. Crunchy, a LOT of mid, and a bit biting. With the EL34's it sounds warm and very thick at the same time the mids and highs seem just right.

Honestly the difference in sound wasn't massive. Few people have been able to notice a difference, but it still made all the difference to me.
bancika

well yeah, you can't get mesa crunch out of fender with simple tube swap. It's the matter of few percent in tone difference :wink:
Guitarmiester

I just put JJ's in my Legacy the weekend. I'll try and record a few clips if anyone's interested.
bkornaker1977

the best power tubes ive had in my Legacy were the Ruby el34B-STR

sounds BIG, crunchy, bright.....and lots of low end boom. Kinda sounds like a 6L6 tube, with el34 type "bark" and mids.........

very nice tube.
Luminescence

I've heard the chinese ones are a good match. I've got JJs in right now, but thats just because it came with them
TheRocKsTaR777

yea if anyone has some clips,post em up.Lets hear em!
cowcrusher

yeah I'd like to hear some clips too, since I've been thinking about buying a used legacy.