"Boston Rain Melody" Clean Tone?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Warrior
Newcomer

I'm trying to get a tone similar to this tone using my JEM, G-Major and Legacy and I was wondering if anyone has done the same.

I've heard Syeve use this tone live as well and it sounds so alive. What EQ setting's might help me achieve this similar tone? It's than just selecting the middle pickup, for example.
seljer

for that kind of clean tone, I put the treble pretty high up, around 8 or 9, bass and mids around 4 or 5

just a touch of delay/reverb

and shiny new strings guitar strings also help

and I only have a HH guitar myself so I can't comment on which pickup position to choose on a JEM
bkornaker1977

those tones sound like a single coil/ humbucker coil tap tone..........for your jem, try it with the pickup selector at neck humbucker/middle single coil.............
Eutow

bkornaker1977 wrote:those tones sound like a single coil/ humbucker coil tap tone..........for your jem, try it with the pickup selector at neck humbucker/middle single coil.............
Agreed. Since I only have 2 humbuckers, I place it in the middle of my pick-up selector. I own a legacy as well and I can get a really clean sound out of my really crappy EMG-HZ's in my Jackson. It's not too hard to get a sound like that. ;) or atleast, a clean one
leigh01

In the Jem I usually switch to the middle pickup (the single coil)and have the treble on the clean channel at 5, mid5, then bass7, it works for me like that but Im not using a nice amp like you, I'm using a crappy line6 spider 2. :roll: :)
bkornaker1977

the boston rain melody has a cetain "strat" tone that has chime and a tiny bit "quack" to the tone.........

for H/S/H pickup guitars.....use the (neck) H/S pickup selection......

for S/S/S guitars........use the (neck) S/S pickup selection
Warrior
Newcomer

So Brian, you don't think there's any special EQing going on to achieve this tone?
bkornaker1977

special EQ on the amp?.........eh........i personaly would just boost the highs. Try an EQ settings like this.......

Bass- 6
Mids-4 or 5
highs- 7

(if you use the Carvin legacy amp, push the Presence button IN)

I would keep the highs around 7, and start messing with the bass and mid knobs accordinly, every amp reacts differently.......but a good start is a boosted highs.
leigh01

Yeaaaaah I just got like a 99.8% sound accurate to Mr Vai's on "Boston rain Melody" by using my Boss ME50,

Here's my settings, also using a Jem7v,

Pickup bridge/mid = single coil sound as recommened by bkornaker1977

Then the Eq settings I changed slightly to Bass 7 Mid 5 Treb 6,

Then on the ME50 I put on Compression/sustainer to 7/8, then NR threshold up til the static goes away, then Reverb MOD Full,
And then just a slight touch of delay,

I would take a recording of the sound but I can't find my videocamera and my computer isn't working with Cubase right now.