tube change

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
*theanimal*05

i just took my amp down to a tech to get a retubing.
I currently have a carvin legacy which i absolutely love besides the fact it doesnt do a heavy sound. Not like the tony macalpine sound im looking for anyway.
does anyone know if changing the brand of tubes i have will differ the sound.
I asked for electro-harmonix tubes to be put in because those are the ones steve uses apparently and i didnt want to gamble with the fact i could put in a different brand and hate it. Is this true?does steve use the stock tubes in his legacys?

Will different brand of tubes change my sound or make it heavier?

cheers

Tobi Atkins
bancika

Well, it can change sound but don't expect that it can make mesa out of fender or something. Some tubes have more gain than others.
Check out this review http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/do ... ort_33.pdf and draw a conclussion
RAR!

Thats real nice Bancika but they'res not a single EL84 in the Legacys. EL34's and 12AX7s.

Yes, he uses the stock EH tubes. They're good tubes.

All-in-all, tubes dont make that much of a difference. You hear alot of talk about them, but they're are alot more aspects of a guitar rig that make alot bigger changes than tube types.

As long as you have something good in there, you'll be set. Just dont do the real cheap shit and you'll be fine.

It can do heavy. Go listen to "Bad Horsie" or "Chameleon" on the Live at Astoria DVD.

A closed back Legacy 4x12 would help with the "heavy" your looking for.
prman

RAR! wrote:All-in-all, tubes dont make that much of a difference.
Well, actually tubes make a huge difference in the dynamic response and harmonic structure of the amp and it`s gain stages. That is why you hear all the talk about them. But like said, chancing tubes won`t turn your Carvin Legacy into a Fender Twin or something else. The basic sound will remain the same but with better tubes you will get more of that huge "three dimensional" sound everyone is after.
j.arledge

well if you change tubes and the amp isn't biased (if the bias is adjustable) well then your not getting the most out of your . Fixed bias amps run at an average current but amps that are adjustable need to be fine tuned in order to get the tubes at thier maximum potential .

tubes can bring a dull amp to life , make it smoother , make it have more gain , less gain , more dynamics , more power less power .

they effect sound quite a bit .
bancika

wrong file, sorry...this one reffers to 12AX7 http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/do ... port_2.pdf
pagliai

mod mod trasformers change them and retube it from http://www.dougstubes.com/
you tell him,hey man i 've got these problems 1 2 3 4 5 6 retube my amp and he goes,wow he rules.
also make attention with settings and guitar and hands and fx you know booster etc
Hope this helps
Alex
bkornaker1977

changing tubes can make a differnce, but not a huge drastic one. yuor best bet if your looking to turn your legacy into a higher gain is to try out the tungsol 12ax7 reissues for your preamp tubes, and RUBY el34BSTR for your power amp.

the ruby el34 have a higher/brighter top end, and the low frequencys are extended too. Almost has a 6L6 sound....with the midrange growel of a el34 type tube. nice for moder rock stuff.

the reissue tungsols 12ax7 have more gain than most current production tubes, and you might want to check out jjecc83-S, and possibly EH12ax7. these tubes have the most gain and push your looking for........