Best Attenuator?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
lydian7

I'm looking to get an Attenuator for my Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo amp for home recording, because it's just too darn loud as it is! I was wondering what Attenuators people are using, and which Attenuators are the highest quality nowadays. I've heard good things about the Hotplate and bad things about the Marshall attenuator. Also, how close does an attenuator come to replicating that sweet spot when you really push your tube amp...can you hear a significant difference with and without an attenuator at low volumes? Or is it just a bit of a toy for techies?

Cheers. :)
beyondthenotes712

I've heard that the ultimate attenuator ( www.ultimateattenuator.com ) is very good... one of the best. you don't get that fizz in the lower register that most attenuators do and it hardly affects your tone at all. Apparently you can get the clarity and tone of a driven tube amp at bedroom level. I haven't tried it yet though...
xifr

The THD Hotplate and DR Z. Airbrake are other highly regarded ones.

Avoid the Marshall one.
bkornaker1977

why? i own the marshall one,.....had it with my carvin legacy for about 5 years now..............

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=465137

theres some clips of my crappy tone..........
Lucky

I've heard good things about the Weber Mass. Never tried one, though.