how does TMAC get a heavy on Planet X with Legacy?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
cain777

I was just wondering, since lots of people have said the legacy is medium gain amp, and through personal experience. Tony Macalpine is burning with a Legacy. His tone is thick yet very defined and his lead tone is probably the best ive heard coming out of a legacy (except vai). How does he do it?
acoates

Pedals?
knarfzednem

i've always wondered that too. the Legacy is high gain, but i don't know if it can muster up that much! not without some help. i've been able to get some pretty thick sounds using a ts9dx or the digitech bad monkey. i don't know if that's what Tony is using but it works. either that or Tony is using the Legacy as just a power amp. i think i saw a Hughes and Kettner preamp in his rack one time. in the tour gear that Jeroen shared with us, it looks like a Hughes and Kettner preamp, a digitech processor, and a Carvin power amp. how about Tony's tone on the Astoria dvd? i'm still scratching my head over that one.
Guitarmiester

In my opinion, I really didn't like Tony's tone on the Astoria DVD. Sounded waaay too processed. Steve on the other hand, he's got that amp sounding exactly how he wants, I think...cause it sounds great!
resha

I think T Mac's sound (Live in Astoria) is quite thin... I don't know how to express that, to my ears it misses some bass and middle/bass frequencies so only the very high end of it comes out.
You can clearly understand what I'm saying by listening carefully Tony's sound when He plays together with Steve, His sound seems so "small" :roll:
RAR!

resha wrote:I think T Mac's sound (Live in Astoria) is quite thin... I don't know how to express that, to my ears it misses some bass and middle/bass frequencies so only the very high end of it comes out.
You can clearly understand what I'm saying by listening carefully Tony's sound when He plays together with Steve, His sound seems so "small" :roll:
Its supposed to sound small, its not supposed to blow Steve off the stage. :wink:
tambokgt

RAR! wrote:
resha wrote:I think T Mac's sound (Live in Astoria) is quite thin... I don't know how to express that, to my ears it misses some bass and middle/bass frequencies so only the very high end of it comes out.
Its supposed to sound small, its not supposed to blow Steve off the stage. :wink:
correct. :wink:
Real_Confusions

I'm not making any accusations, but someone told me that Steve does not use Legacys as his main amplifier on stage (if even at all)---they insisted they he still uses Bogner's Ecstacy.
j.arledge

Real_Confusions wrote:I'm not making any accusations, but someone told me that Steve does not use Legacys as his main amplifier on stage (if even at all)---they insisted they he still uses Bogner's Ecstacy.
he would be breaking his contract with carvin that meaning no cash for steve . It would be foolish to say that steve only uses a legacy to record on but it isn't to say that he doesn't use them periode.

i didn't know that passion and warfare was recorded with all marshalls , i thought he had some other amps but i read up in the tab book and it has a list of his gear and bam nothing but marshalls used for amps , he did have a carvin power amp but the pre amp was marshall .
resha

RAR! wrote:
Yeah I know that, you're right! But I think Tony's sound was really too poor (and I had a similar idea when I saw them live).

Resha :P
knarfzednem

it's not actually his tone that i'm questioning, it's that i hear some constant effect going along with it. i think. it sounds like chorus, but it doesn't make things muddy. i don't know, does anyone else hear it? i think his tone goes along with Steve's even though they're both very different. anyways, i'd like to hear how Tony's tone sounds now. he's switched back to Hughes and Kettner. pretty sweet lookin' amp. http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/produ ... =prod&id=1#
Real_Confusions

Jra2217 wrote:
Real_Confusions wrote:I'm not making any accusations, but someone told me that Steve does not use Legacys as his main amplifier on stage (if even at all)---they insisted they he still uses Bogner's Ecstacy.
he would be breaking his contract with carvin that meaning no cash for steve . It would be foolish to say that steve only uses a legacy to record on but it isn't to say that he doesn't use them periode.

i didn't know that passion and warfare was recorded with all marshalls , i thought he had some other amps but i read up in the tab book and it has a list of his gear and bam nothing but marshalls used for amps , he did have a carvin power amp but the pre amp was marshall .
I'm not saying he isn't marketing for Carvin.

Notice he doesn't use the Bad Horsie wah, anymore? He still markets it, though.
RAR!

Im pretty sure he doesn't use the Bogners anymore.

Why?

Because he doesnt need to. Legacy's are fine amps, and sound great.

IMO, I like them better than the Bogners.
Real_Confusions

RAR! wrote:...he doesnt need to. Legacy's are fine amps, and sound great.

IMO, I like them better than the Bogners.
Yeah, they are great amplifiers and Steve may use them; I don't know---I thought he did.

I prefer Bogners anyday, though. :)
knarfzednem

if you think Steve is still using Bogners, even after that stupidly long thread about that exact discussion, then you are guitar-tone deaf. don't worry. many people have it. for example, any scooped mid tone.(opinion! don't bite my head off. although, most guitar tonewoods are known to reproduce mostly mid frequencies, so taking out the mids would be the same as just getting rid of the guitar, or anything good, in my opinion. but that's an entirely different topic altogether).
Steve's sound with the Bogner was more compressed, from what i remember from the first G3 dvd. he used a lot more gain, and it sounded kind of squished. i like his tone now. more stripped down. more alive.