bad horsie better than crybay

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
sweeps

in this forum every1 seems to favour the crybabys but in my opinion i think the horsie is WAY better than the 95q and the 535q models. mite be just my taste but i like the subtleness of the horsies tone without the WAAAAHHHH u get from a crybaby. b4 i got my horsie i used my friends 535 at a gig wen i was playin tender surrender and wen i pushed on the pedal it cut out the signal 4 about 1.5 seconds.....enough to distract me and hav me really pissed off. after that episode i swore never to go bak to crybaby. i also used to hav a crybaby95 and although pretty solid just didnt like the sound. the switchless design is great and means wen im drunk and jammin and playin i dont leave it on haha. btw i hav the contour 2 never use the contour mode. any other pro horsie fans or crybay fans????
bkornaker1977

im actually selling my bad horsie wah on ebay right now as we speak, and i picked up a crybaby 535q. i didnt like the fact the horsie was so subtle. I like wahs that are very nasal, and vocal sounding....which the bad horsie was not.

i did like the fact it was switchless though..........if only the 535q baby was switchless..............man!
RAR!

Well. . .since I like getting a good "Wah" tone, I use Crybabies. ;)

Bad Horsie's are too subtle compared to a Crybaby. With a good technique, you can mellow up the sound of a Crybaby, especially a 535Q Crybaby, for the subtle stuff. Just dont rock it back and forth as far, keep it in the middle.

I dont understand your trouble with the 535Q. Since it has a switch, once you activate the switch. . it on. You must have sat there with the switch pressed down or something.

But with the BH, all you get is the subtle. If you need more. . .its not there. Trust me, I am a former Bad Horsie owner.

Ive had:
Standard Crybaby GCB-95 - Decent tone, slightly harsh, poor bypass.
Morley Bad Horsie 1 - Fat subtle tone, no attitude. Muddy Buffer bypass.
Morley Pro Series - ugly sounding wah, icepick treble. same Buffer bypass.
Dont have them anymore.

Now, I use a Dunlop Crybaby Classic, GCB-95F w/ Fasel inductor. Its a great sounding wah, lots of attitude and agression, can be subtle as well. Clear bypass. Its not true bypass, but it doesnt muddy the low end like most buffers, its pretty clean and clear. . .slight volume drop though.

About the switchless debate: I think switchless is kinda nice, but sound is more important to me. If you have any sort of coordination you should be able to master a Crybaby just fine, the switch has never caused me to loose concentration or hesitate, I can turn it on without giving half a though about it. Vai used Crybabies all the way though his career up until 1996. And guess whats made its way back on his pedalboard. . . a Crybaby 95F.
godin rocks

I'm definately pro Bad-Horsie. i loved the subtleness and the fatc that its switchless makes it even better. I suppose you could get the tremonti wah(also switchless) but the Bad-Horsie has a better tone. Cry-Babys are alright, but iguess everyone has their preferences.
resha

Crybaby 95Q is the best imho. I've had a 535Q and loved its sound, but I use the wah in a strange way so it wasn't the best for me only because of the switch. I'm used to do little passages like stepping on the wah, open it and then turn it off quickly (only like one "WAAAAAHHHH"!) and doing it with an on/off wah it's really difficult because you cannot be so quick to turn it on and then immediately off (or at least I'm not!).

With the 95Q I've found my goal! I can step on it, make it scream and then simply get my foot out of it... in ninja time!

:) Resha
sweeps

yeah i guess it comes down to personal preference i dont like the nasal real big sweep in the crybabys so no point in tryin to tweak it to get it to sound like the vai. id never pay rrp 4 the vai but i got it second hand 4 160 oz dollars and its in mint condition. yeah its funny how vai uses the crybabys. i dont like havin different settings on the 535 to fiddle round with... just step on ....wah sound i like and step off TOO EASY!!!! i hate kirks wah sound on wherever i may roam,enter sandman. thats def the crybaby sound im not liking but yeah i had a 95 4 like afew years and yeah not to bad but not my personal preference. also the guys in the band love the wah....i think they just like the name haha
RAR!

Well, Kirk is the king of disgusting tone.

EMGs -> Mesa Boogie.

Nothing sounds more lifeless. *barf*
sweeps

not a fan of emgs or mesas actually.... rek there overrated myself. emgs r to hot sounding 4 my liking... well all active pikups and i used to own a mesa.... just comes down to personall taste
al

slash has a new sig wah out, sounds nice :)

Ive the old gcb95 wah, does the job fine, first pedal i got years ago still use it today, i wanted to try out a bad horsie i like the way theres no switch for it,

what did vai use during tender surrender?
MR4Y

you can remove the buffer of the gcb95 and replace the SPDT button with a DPDT button. this end with the poor bypass that steals sound and gain. And the circuit of the Crybaby, except for the optic whas and the 535Q are the SAME (even for the signature wahs), so if you replace some components with tohers, you can get any kind of sound with the cgb95, even emule a VOX wah, etc.... without paying too much. Assuming that Bad Horsie unfortunnately has a very limited range of tones, it's easy to mod a crybaby cgb95 :mrgreen:
miker

I went with a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q wah... very pleased with it.

IMHO... Mesa Boogies rule. yah. They do. Not a big fan of EMG's though. nope.