(Boss Overdrive & Metal Zone together) better than DS-1

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
1118916GB

When I put Boss Overdrive and the Metal Zone together, they had more of a Vai tone than the DS-1. Im pretty surprised. Does this seem like a pretty good combination? I think I might get both. Tell me your opinion.
Jemfever

Never tried both together but i've tried the mt and didn't like it.However it seemed to have more than enough gain on its own.I can imagine that they both sound like mush when played together.But hey,if you like the sound,go with it.
Just keep in mind that Vai doesn`t use that much gain and distortion.His tone isn`t fizzy at all.It's a very mild distortion.
al

i didnt liek the mt-2 either :( i returned it the next day! but if i had my eq pedal then im sure i wuda gave it mroe of a chance... but id choose the ds-1 over it anyways
1118916GB

how about the visual sound jerkyll and Hyde? That sounds like the best pedal for a lead sound with lots of gain without background noise. I want a pedal as a booster to get a vai tone.
if6was9

For some reason i could never get any decent sounds out of the Metal Zone. The Boss Overdrive works great for overdriving tube amps.
fyrie

The boss OD-3 is an excellent pedal used as a driver in front of your distortion unit. I've used it to drive both my DS-1 and my Legacy. It's a spendy one though. It's on price par with a ts-808. I've never compared the two A/B.

I noticed that there is a lot of hating going around on the Metal Zone. It's a great pedal if you spend a lot of time finding that right sound. There are so many knobs on that thing that I think people give up on it.
if6was9

fyrie wrote:
I noticed that there is a lot of hating going around on the Metal Zone. It's a great pedal if you spend a lot of time finding that right sound. There are so many knobs on that thing that I think people give up on it.
It's not the knobs, it's about that harsh buzzsawy sound that comes out of it. Even on tube amps, it still doesn't cut it for me.
Jemfever

if6was9 wrote:
fyrie wrote:
It's not the knobs, it's about that harsh buzzsawy sound that comes out of it. Even on tube amps, it still doesn't cut it for me.
The idea behind the mt2 isn't bad(with all the eg options) but my problem with this pedal was,that i could never get rid of this very digital sound that it produces.