in search of a new amp. any suggestions

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Chris Brooks

cain777 wrote:hey guys,
The tone im looking for is something between the open sounding rythym that Petrucci has on the awake album and for lead a mix between chris brooks,michael romeo, stephan forte sound because they have warm overdriven but still very clear.
Hey there,

Many of the amps mentioned have great tones and drive.

I personally use a mid 90s 20 channel Mesa DR Solo head. It's an amp that can be pigeon-holed as one kind of amp, and also one that the best tones are not always instantly achieved upon. I currently use it with a PRS Custom 24 with bare effects through the effects loop (Boss DD6, CE5, Akai Head Rush) but a little delay or reverb really opens up to otherwise bare drive tone on the boogie.

Normally when you try the DR heads in a store, the lead channel is set to red, but I've recently been using the Orange mode on both channels, with slightly different gain and eq settings for rhythm and lead. For non-rock/metal gigs (which I sometimes do for $), I'll keep the orange modes but change them to vintage voicing instead of modern (with the switch at the back). I've done blues, rockabilly and cover shows with the same amp and had completely different (and appropriate) tones for all of them.

I think that you may have to delve further into any amp that you try, but don't write them off until you're done exploring.

Your choice of box will change the tones too. I recently got a Mesa endorsement deal here in Australia and changed from Marshall to Mesa boxes, and the eq differences I had to make to suit were massive.

Good luck with the tone search!
cain777

HOLY CRAP!!!!!
Chris Brooks replied to my topic!!! Chris great stuff man. seriously I love your tone.Great playing. Cheers. also I want to thank each and everyone of you guys who took the time to reply to my question and enjoyed all your feedback. Thanks.
endor

dude get jsx, itrs super versatile and youll get diffrent tones out the ying yang
barhouston

V3 vid if you haven't already seen it (not that I'm recommending it, necessarily -- I wouldn't know what to recommend at all):

Windows Media: http://stream.carvin.com/v3-features.wmv

Quicktime: http://stream.carvin.com/v3-features.mov
altruistik

here's my favorite, EVER!!!

:shock:
altruistik

Does anyone here have/or has played a

CAE OD-100 AMP?

Scott Henderson has a killer tone on his DOUBLE live album
5thD

Anything Carvin makes is quality, The Peavey JSX Satriani amp is freaking awesome!

Even stranger, A satch head through a Vai 4X12 is a tone match made in heaven, I'm running mine through 2 Legacy 4X12's! Ahhhhhhh Tone heaven like I can't even describe.

5150's are also killer amps
altruistik

5thD wrote:Anything Carvin makes is quality
what about service issues when one is acrros the country or world?
hammerhandle
Newcomer

I know you're looking for amp suggestions and I don't really have any :oops: ...but...
You've got a plexi !! :D Awesome amp. But you're dead right, no OD without massive volume :shock: . And it won't do everything by a long shot, but what it does it does well. The Hotplate suggestion was a great one. Turn that plexi WAY up, and use the attenuator to control the volume. And yes, using a good OD pedal as a 'clean boost' will drive that amp into a creamy saturation. Personally I use the old (MIJ) boss SD-1 ( dunno if that actually qualifies as good :lol: ). I set it up so I can't really tell when it's on or off and then max out the level control...so it's usually level maxed, gain almost off ( like 8 o'clock) and tone is about 10 o'clock. There are almost an infinite number of OD/clean boost options out there, even an EQ pedal will yield pleasing results. I guess the deal is to get those power tubes cookin'.
The Hotplate will give you some great options like line out etc. where you can patch in your delays and other time based FX and run them off to a seperate amp.
For the record, my Marshall is not a plexi, it's a '79 SuperBass, dead stock. Just by adjusting the volume knob on my guitar it goes from a beautiful clean to light crunch to Van Halen land. Then I step on the OD. 8) MmmmmMmmmm good. 8). Now if only I could play...
altruistik

hammerhandle wrote::oops: ...but...Now if only I could play...

LOL :guitar
Chris Brooks

cain777 wrote:HOLY CRAP!!!!!
Chris Brooks replied to my topic!!! Chris great stuff man. seriously I love your tone.Great playing. Cheers.
Anytime dude. Thanks for the kind words.
Drew the Magnificent

I own a V3. It kills. Nu metal, fender cleans, marshall JTM 45 singing overdrive, 80's metal, everything.. It also has the dark smooth voicing that the legacy has. It can do everything.

There's a huge ass review I wrote on carvin's forum that carvin put on their main v3 webpage. If you want to hear it, don't listen to carvin's clips. They're too harsh I think. They weren't recorded with a carvin CT like the site says. They used a Jakson with EMG 81/85 pickups. I think that's part of the stale/fizzy ness problem. I HATE EMG pickups. Anyways, take a listen to my clips. The amp LOVES v30 speakers. The G12T75's that the V3 cab uses are too cold and agressive. If you're purely a metal player, get the V3 cab. If you play anything else, blues, jazz, classic rock, hard rock, metal, get somethign with V30's...like legacy cab. or an avatar cab. Thats what I use.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=264448