REVIEWS: G3 Europe - 29 June: LONDON, ENGLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
CrimsonKing

gary wrote:I'm certainly going to buy a Fripp album, I liked it.
King Crimson's Deja Vrooom DVD includes an easter egg which is Fripp doing a 10-15 min soundscape. It includes close-ups of Fripp manipulating his effects rack and pedals and for anyone who enjoyed Fripp's soundscapes but couldn't quite see what was going on this is a great place to start learning more.

Their latest DVD, Eyes Wide Open, also contains a soundscape along with a whole 2 gigs from their last 2 tours. Great value and highly recommended to any guitarists who want to break out of the pentatonic box.

NP KC - Heavy ConstruKction
ax murderer

dickij wrote:
Anyone know what this number that Steve played in his set was called (it isn't on any of his albums(?)). It was mostly a single heavy bass note played on, then off the beat. Really Cool. What was it though!?

you're thinking of 'The Reaper' i believe. it was from the film 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey' and later released on 'The Elusive Light and Sound - Volume 1' and 'The Infinite Steve Vai - An anthology'. it sounds pretty different on cd to how he played it live. it's one of my favourite vai songs anyway, but live it just exploded my head, and i told steve this myself, to which he said ''that's good, i like exploding peoples heads, it's what it's all about''

the middle jamming part of it was ace, and i particularly liked it when they went briefly into a couple of licks from 'The animal' that was a nice surprise indeed.

and excellent night in my opinion. i'm not inclined to agree with comments on how bad the sound was, but i was sat quite low down (cheers for the tickets with my aftershow passes btw Mikey and Co.- i previously only had Choir tickets!!) and i'd previously never been to a G3/Vai show, so i didn't really know quite what to expect sound-wise. i sometimes like a bit of mud in my sound quality at gigs anyway, it lets you know you're REALLY there.

i don't even know what to say about the rest of the show though, it was just stunning. i even appreciated robert fripp's set, only because it resulted in such elation when steve came on. i don't mean this as an insult, i mean his music had put such a sombre pensive mood on me, i just didn't know where i was, and then when steve came out, i just couldn't believe it. he is real, he does exist!

i think many people's commentary on fripp's set has been a tad harsh. i personally thought what he was doing was certainly clever, even if a little 'different' but what's wrong with 'different'? i do feel it could have done with a few movement changes though, or failing that, just a chord change would have been nice. inspiring nevertheless, unlike the proletariat imbeciles who heckled him (sorry about the use of stereotype there, but theres usually no smoke without fire, if you were one of those people, feel free to correct me.)

Vai exploded my head. simple as that.

during the interval myself and my bro went outside for a beer and a cigarette when jeremy colson came out and sparked up. i had a chat and a cigarette with jeremy colson. quality!!!

Satch was Satch really, completely solid, and spot on, but quite disappointing, because it was EXACTLY as i expected it would be.

The G2 jam as some people have been calling it was pretty cool really. i would have liked to have heard more vocal numbers, like little wing. it ould have been cool to hear vai sing a bit more, but i realise he was pretty ill. i was shocked when he started singing ''i know you're here'' earlier in the night given what people had said about the nottingham show just the night before.

i thought Ice9 was an odd choice of song for the jam, as i thought it was mainly cover songs that they jammed, but hey, can't complain. it was nice to hear fripp rocking out too, what little of it you could actually hear.

then came the aftershow, one of the most frightening moments of my whole life, but ultimately one of the best. it was an excellent day, and hopefully one i'll remember forever.
UJ_boy
Newcomer

my personal view of the gig is that it rocked. It had atmosphere, energy and some dam gud guitar. Someone earlier on said vai's set was full of self-endulgent soloing.......well it wasn't (in my opinion) but wouldn't yours be full of it if u had vai's skill?

I really enjoyed the whole gig, but i perticularly loved vai's set. It was amazing! And i managed 2 nick a G3 poster from the outside billbord things.

Final note, it was an amazing gig. Please come back next year steve!!! U Rock!!!
JimmyMay07
Newcomer

What Vai and Satch don't realise is that they are not playing venues built for rock. This is not to say that rock can't sound good in them, it's just they are built for a different sound
Art, are you some sort of joker? Do you think you know more about music, acoustics, showmanship and mixing than Joe Satriani and Steve Vai? Is that what you're saying? If so then congratulations on making me laugh my a**se off!! I hope you're being funny. It's good to have an opinion, but these guys are the best in the business. Steve went out and played feeling very unwell, hell, if I could like that at my peak I'd be the happiest guy alive. But here's an idea, if you think you can do better, hire out the Albert Hall, and I will happily pay the same amount I did for G3 to come and see you!!
kev555

Does anyone have any photos from this show, i know security were trying to stop it but someone must have some good pics.

Cheers

Kev :)

G3 London, the verdict:

It was a kick-ass show. It was a lot better than Bournemouth. I could see everything and the sound in the Royal Albert Hall is amazing. After the good sound at the Toto show on monday night, my confidence was rebuilt about G3. The sound crew doing the house sound at RAH definitely know what they're doing.

Robert Fripp was excellent. I really enjoyed his set, and was thoroughly p*ss*d off at the ignorant, narrow-minded bastards who were shouting abuse. One of the guys who went with us to the show took binoculars, which we kept passing along the line, so I spent some time watching what Robert was doing.

Vai's set was as good as before, only the sound was better. Billy was a little too quiet in the mix, but overall it still sounded nice. The setlist was unchanged, and it was nice watching Steve and Tony properly jamming onstage, they really started improvising together for a minute or so, which was intense. In this set it was nice watching Tony and Jeremy especially, and watching Steve's feet when it came to changing effects - he was certainly busy with the pedal board!

Joe's set was good. I still wasn't too sure about the choice of setlist, but there were some cool choices in there, especially Flying In A Blue Dream and Cool #9. The sound was so much better, and it was interesting to watch through the binoculars what the others were doing, especially Jeff! The band seemed to be having a better time than they were in Bournemouth, and were definitely getting a more warm response.

The jam was excellent, and I thoroughly enjoyed 'Red' this time. And Joe was even allowed to introduce Robert at the beginning of the set! Robert was kicking ass, and yet again, played possibly the best solos. I had to laugh at the people who had been so dismissive of him earlier in the show, cause at this point he was making them look very stupid. Joe was also on form and seemed to be having a great time, as did Matt. Vai played well on the Jam, but I didn't think he was the best of the three on that set. However, there were some really nice ideas on there, especially with Joe and Steve harmonising their feedback, a very cool routine, it must be said!

So yeah, overall, excellent. I don't think there was anything about G3's performance I didn't like 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
metallicafan647

JimmyMay07 wrote:
What Vai and Satch don't realise is that they are not playing venues built for rock. This is not to say that rock can't sound good in them, it's just they are built for a different sound
Art, are you some sort of joker? Do you think you know more about music, acoustics, showmanship and mixing than Joe Satriani and Steve Vai? Is that what you're saying? If so then congratulations on making me laugh my a**se off!! I hope you're being funny. It's good to have an opinion, but these guys are the best in the business. Steve went out and played feeling very unwell, hell, if I could like that at my peak I'd be the happiest guy alive. But here's an idea, if you think you can do better, hire out the Albert Hall, and I will happily pay the same amount I did for G3 to come and see you!!
give it a rest mate :wink:

well you give an explanation for the terrible sound?

THANKS ALOT.
JimmyMay07
Newcomer

Well, I would say that the reason that the sound wasn't great where I was sitting would be the fact that I was in the nosebleed seats! I had friends right up the front, and from what they tell me the sound was fine, so I think geography had a lot to do with it! Secondly, the reason I did not suggest how to improve the sound was because I'm not a sound engineer! Do you really think for one minute that Vai or Satch would employ people to work on their tours that don't know what they're doing? NO!! But, as Art seems to know so much about sound engineering, why doesn't he take over for the rest of the tour!! THANKS ALOT
kev555

surely someone must have some photos that they would like to share with the rest of us ?
Ross_uk
Newcomer

My first ever G3 gig! It was an amazing night and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was a little disappointed at people's reception of Robert Fripp. I'd never heard him before the gig so listened to some King Crimson and was thoroughly impressed. Maybe what he played on the night didn't exactly match up to what Steve and Joe were playing but I gave it a chance and ended up enjoying it. Shame about the people heckling. Maybe to get a little bit more respect from the crowd however, he could have been in the centre of the stage. I was surprised how he hid in the corner and didn't acknowledge the audience at the beginning or end of his piece.

Steve completely blew me away...it was everything I expected and more. Not to mention his band...they too were excellent. I was sitting in the choir section, behind the stage but really close so I was really appreciative when Steve and Joe regularly turned round to wave and play to us too. The looks and smiles I got from them made my evening. Joe's set was awesome as well. I was so glad they did always with me, always with you and satch boogie and from what i heard on the night i'm definitely gonna go out and buy the new album (even on my limited teenage budget :-p)

The G3 jam totally rocked as well, though maybe could have been longer but I knew time was limited and people needed to be out by 11. It was such a great touch to play some crimson and the night ended perfectly with singing along to 'rocking in the free world'. I was disappointed I couldnt stay and try and get some autographs (I brought all my satch, vai, and g3 cds with me in the hope of maybe getting one signed) but because of the tube strike we had to mission it back to victoria station before the last train. thanks so much for making it such a memorable evening.

From reading other peoples' reviews the sound gets mentioned a lot but I can honestly say I thought the mix was fine from where I was sitting behind the stage in the choir section, though in a building such as the RAH i can understand that the mix may have sounded different in other sections of the hall.
adds3566

Hi all! Travelled down from Aberdeen Scotland to see this gig, going way back as soon as I saw the g3 euro tour dates I decided this Royal Concert Hall gig was the one I really wanted to see, I have never been there and it was touch and go whether I would make it or not ;-)
O.k Robert fripp wasn’t the most exciting set I have ever seen but for me this strange music was very fitting for this beautiful arena and with the excitement in knowing Steve was on next.
Steve set for me was still fantastic, there have been bad vibes with the sound but I thought it got better as his set progressed, the only thing that did a damper for me was the fact that I have watched the g3 Denver CD loads of times so his set took away the element of surprise of the show, if I saw the 4 guitar stunt for the first time I would have been stunned.
Joe set I think was one of the best I have seen from him, he definitely had the best sound on the night, and it was a pleasant surprise that Steve came on to play one of his songs ALSO at the finale jam.
What has been mentioned here already I did think there would be a surprise guest like Brain May had done in the past, but it was a tide schedule and being the Royal Albert Hall they dictate how long the concert lasts.
Steve did sarcastically called the venue a dump knowing full well playing in such a venue with all its history was one of his highlights of his career
( which he mentioned)
This gig was a milestone for g3…..
52bags
Newcomer

8) Saw the gig at the Royal Albert Hall, and have to agree with everyone else about the sound, even though the venue is excellent. Joe and Steve sounded too loud and distorted...saw Satch there a few years back, and the sound then was excellent, so what went wrong this night?
Also, i suppose the prat who had a dig at Robert Fripp can play the guitar like him then?no, didn't think so, otherwise the gobby one would have been on stage, and Fripp would have been in the audience......
As for the sets, they were all excellent, and the jam at the end was brill, and at least Fripp shut the morons up with his solos.....i have to say at least his sound seemed to be spot on.
After the gig, had me photo taken with Joe, Dave Weiner and Billy Sheehan, and got everyones signature on the DVDs and other stuff i had taken along...THANKS to them all..made the evening more special.
codnchips

I saw the show last week at the RAH. It was the 3rd time I'd seen Vai & 4th time I'd seen Satriani. I was in a box, facing centre stage. I thought it was brilliant. The sound that I heard was great. I agree that the bass could've come up a notch, but Steve & Joe really kicked ass. My ears engulfed every note and it was wonderful. Got no complaints about their sound, me & my girlfriend just partied!!!

Having never been to a G3 gig in person, I was thrilled when Steve & Joe played about 10 songs!! It was a like a mini-gig for each!

I did not understand Robert Fripp. I don't know if his volume was down or if he was just playing the root note of each chord in the synthesised progression. During the G3 Jam, he let rip, so I didn't really see why he wanted to be pretty non-eventful during his set. Can't wait for the next - just want backstage passes!!! :D
guyzif

codnchips wrote:I saw the show last week at the RAH. It was the 3rd time I'd seen Vai & 4th time I'd seen Satriani. I was in a box, facing centre stage. I thought it was brilliant. The sound that I heard was great. I agree that the bass could've come up a notch, but Steve & Joe really kicked ass. My ears engulfed every note and it was wonderful. Got no complaints about their sound, me & my girlfriend just partied!!!

Having never been to a G3 gig in person, I was thrilled when Steve & Joe played about 10 songs!! It was a like a mini-gig for each!

I did not understand Robert Fripp. I don't know if his volume was down or if he was just playing the root note of each chord in the synthesised progression. During the G3 Jam, he let rip, so I didn't really see why he wanted to be pretty non-eventful during his set. Can't wait for the next - just want backstage passes!!! :D
Don't you find that everyone seems to have a pass but you.
imthehelloutahere
Newcomer

Lol I find that, only a handful are given out but I read a load of reviews from people who got backstage or got things signed etc!