REVIEWS: G3 Europe - 25 June: NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
matt_sefton
Newcomer

To Skyscraper, who wrote "However, after Joe and Steve came out to talk to those with Aftershow passes, loads of people came in through the fire exit who had obviously just barged in past the apathetic security workers. "

I was one of the people who, as you put it, barged in. Let me explain. I went to the show on my own and was hoping to have a chance to meet Steve and the rest of the band as I've been a fan of Steve's since my brother the Zappa nut played me Stevie's Spanking and My Guitar wants to Kill your Mama when I was about 10 years old (I'm 38 now!). As I only visit Vai.com occassionally I had no idea that there were official aftershow 'guests' and the rest of us were, apparently, just non-entities. I waited patiently outside the venue for half an hour or so, at which point everyone seemed to wander away, giving up. As I was walking past an OPEN fire exit with NO security, I saw all my heros inside. What would YOU do? Naturally I walked, not barged, in. I waited my turn in each queue to meet Steve, Satch, Billy, etc and NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON seemed to have a problem with me being there. In fact, quite the opposite - everyone was charming and friendly - band and fans. I also ended up being unofficial photographer to loads of people who wanted their photos taken with the band.

I would ask that you don't have such an elitist attitude towards people who quite obviously aren't "in the know" and don't have the time to spend checking messageboards on a regular basis. I'm sure I didn't spoil anyone's aftershow experience. You, however, have slightly soured mine. Cheers for that...
Vaiper

longjohncider wrote:HERE JIM GARDNER

F U C K OFF

U KNOW ROBERT FRIPP WAS SHIT, DONT BE SO GAY

STOP TRYIN TO SUGAR COAT IT HE SUCKED N U NAR IT

HE JUST MADE WEIRD NOISES LIKE AN ORGAN

WHEN HE PUT HIS GUITAR DOWN THEY CONTINUED SO I DONT KNOW WHAT HE WAS EVEN DOIN I COULD SEE HIM NOT DOIN MUCH
I WANTED SOME WILD SOLOS!!

FORGET ABOUT 'VAI WOULD BE DISAPPOINTEED BY MAJORITY OF HIS FANS GOIN ON BOUT FRIPP BEIN BAD, BUT FORGET ABOUT ALL THAT AN THINK BOUT WHAT FRIPP ACTULY DID

HE MADE WEIRD NOISES FOR HALF AN HOUR MY HEAD ALMOST EXPLODED there would of been brains everywhere

so ner, ner, n ner, ner
VAI WAS THE BEST GET JEFF BECK NEXT YEAR

sigh :roll:
Evil Betty

longjohncider wrote:MY HEAD ALMOST EXPLODED there would of been brains everywhere
You make it sound like that's a bad thing. ;)

E.B.
Reggie B
Newcomer

longjohncider wrote:U KNOW ROBERT FRIPP WAS SHIT, DONT BE SO GAY
Yo dipshit - learn something about music and maybe you will appreciate it more. Show respect for a man who created some great music. Geezzz.
longjohncider wrote:HE JUST MADE WEIRD NOISES LIKE AN ORGAN
To a stupid mind, yes. Don't like it then put the earplugs in. Im sure you are one of those dumbasses who booed him. Get a life and grow up. There are more than one styles of music out there. Don't like it then just smile and wait for it to get over. You badmouth RF like he's the worst thing to come since you. If you feel that way that's fine, just shut your flappy yappy trap and let it go fool.

REG
Looosh

Insulting artists, whatever may be their influences, style, looks or anything is just so mean and stupid.
If Rob Fripp was not as demonstrative and all on stage, so what ?!!!
Stop blaming artists because they don't give you exactly what you're waiting for.

In case you did not get it man, the G3 concept exists to promote and make people discover guitar players as well. I'm glad many different people like Johnson, Petrucci, Malmsteen or Fripp come over. Isn't it a demonstration that guitar players shoule be respectful one to another ?

Sighs too, this kind of fellow should have never come to the forum.
Get that stupid guy off.
Britbabe
Newcomer

I was at the G3 gig on Friday night and it far exceeded my expectations. I am not a particular fan of the electric guitar specifically, but I love rock music and I appreciate a virtuoso performer which I knew beforehand all three gentlemen to be. I came to have my musical experiences widened and that's exactly what I got.

The highlight of the night for me was you, Steve. To watch you dance with your guitar (which is how it felt to me) and hear the sublime purity of the music was a delight and a privilege, such a delicate touch and supreme connection with your art - and also a fabulous rapport with the audience. I was right behind the mixing desk and had probably one of the worst views of the entire venue but you made me feel truly a part of the night.

Robert's contribution was very beautiful and I was deeply disappointed for him that the crowd reacted the way they did, although I in my ignorance was also impatient for the rocking to begin I never, ever would have heckled and slow-clapped the way some people felt entitled to, I was glad to be given an education! I was grateful also on Robert's behalf for Steve's timely appearance as I worried what kind of a response would be forthcoming after his set finished - but at the end he sure showed us all what he was made of!

Reading the reports of those lucky individuals who shook hands and got autographs etc I can only weep with envy and frustration. I'm a bit of a 'lurker' after shows but on this occasion I was with my better half and he thinks it's undignified LOL, so we left right after the show. I would have given a year off my life to have been down at the front with my camera or to get a name on a programme to send to a good friend in America who is a collector.

A great night and an eye-opener and hopefully it won't be too long before I can see it all again. Just one thought on the 'next 3rd member', I'd like to propose a little known (but far from unkown) English guitarist by the name of Aynsley Lister, I think G3 would stretch him and he'd rise to it magnificently and it'd be great to give a young talent a leg-up, so to speak.

On a final note I'd not worry too much about longjohncider's posts, it seems to me he's proved Jim Gardner's point pretty neatly on his own :lol:
JimGardner
Newcomer

If the "reliable sources" in the press at the time of the Mr. Big break up are anything to go by, the chances of getting Billy Sheehan, who presumably is now a perminant fixture in the stunning Vai line-up, in the same room, let alone on the same stage as Paul Gilbert are slim to say the least; and although I can't say he's one of my favorite guitarists it would certainly make for an interesting evening if there was a little tension there.

Of course what would really make a stunning G3 is if it where more of a G5, with the addition of some bass and drum hero's to the various bands as well - say for example Victor Wooten and Michael Manring playing with Allan Holdsworth and John McLaughlin, Terry Bozzio and Dennis Chambers - now there's a line up!

As for the various people who have followed up on my comments on Fripp, I'm very pleased to see that I was not alone in experiencing the sublime level of communication that he is able to facilitate by "sitting there and doing nowt" - the mark of true master craftsman me thinks.
phil27

Well I cannot add much to the above reviews but here goes:

Robert Fripp
I thought what he was doing sounded excellent. The textures he was getting out of his guitar were superb but I was expecting something totally different. In a sense, what he was doing was getting people's ears used to the level of noise which we were about to witness

Steve Vai
What can I say? His set was strong and loud. 'Whispering a Prayer' was Sublime and a highlight of the night for me. Also his re-arranged version of 'FTLOG' was spine-chilling. His band were also superb and it was great to see some legends on stage with him. His sound was questionable though. Billy's bass was muddy and the drums were lost in the mix at times. Also the other guitarists weren't as audible and some of the important harmony lines did not cut through.

Joe Satriani
His set was cool and from the moment he came on he had people's heads nodding and feet tapping. His songs have groove and Jeff Campitelli's drumming was spot-on for his songs. His sound overall was more clearer than vai's but the vocals got drowned out. He done all my fave's such as 'Satch Boogie, 'Flying in a Blue Dream' and 'Cool #9.

This concert was a dream come true for me as I have wanted to see Vai for over 12 years. I also got to hang out afterwards and had a little chat with Vai about his songs, and other stuff. He says he felt he had to change FTLOG as he has been doing it the same for so long and said next time they tour it was going to be different again. I also met the rest of his band and also Joe Satriani too. It was way too cool and I am still reeling from the night I met Vai and Satriani.
espguitarlord

I had my last A-Level exam the morning of the show, so I went to Newcastle straight away, getting there for about 11:30. I wasn't one of the chosen after show few, so I waited, along with several others, including a guy who had been waiting since 6:00am!

Over the course of the day, I managed to meet all the members of Steve's band, including the man himself at 1:30ish, Joe came at about 6:00 or so, by which time there was a massive crowd. Meeting Vai was more successful though, at least it was possible to talk.

One person had been waiting for several hours to get Robert Fripp's autograph. He was the only person whatsoever out of the group waiting to try and obtain his autograph. Fripp gave him a really condescending look and walked past him. ...and you wonder why he's unpopular. I'm sure many people will leap to his defence, but I think this was a unfair thing to do to a (single) fan who had been waiting hours. ESPECIALLY as he can't use the argument of keeping his integrity etc by not signing autographs as his signature was on the "Limited Edition Lithograph" on sale for £20 at the show.

...Other than that, the show was incredible. I was in awe, while I think it was wrong to slow hand clap Fripp, he was rude as he did not address the audience once, and was totally uninvolved in the G3 Jam other than musically, failing even to bow at the end. I'm expecting flaming here - but there is such a thing as showmanship, as well as musical ability, and it's evident in both Vai and Satriani.
Skyscraper

matt_sefton wrote:To Skyscraper, who wrote "However, after Joe and Steve came out to talk to those with Aftershow passes, loads of people came in through the fire exit who had obviously just barged in past the apathetic security workers. "

I was one of the people who, as you put it, barged in. Let me explain. I went to the show on my own and was hoping to have a chance to meet Steve and the rest of the band as I've been a fan of Steve's since my brother the Zappa nut played me Stevie's Spanking and My Guitar wants to Kill your Mama when I was about 10 years old (I'm 38 now!). As I only visit Vai.com occassionally I had no idea that there were official aftershow 'guests' and the rest of us were, apparently, just non-entities. I waited patiently outside the venue for half an hour or so, at which point everyone seemed to wander away, giving up. As I was walking past an OPEN fire exit with NO security, I saw all my heros inside. What would YOU do? Naturally I walked, not barged, in. I waited my turn in each queue to meet Steve, Satch, Billy, etc and NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON seemed to have a problem with me being there. In fact, quite the opposite - everyone was charming and friendly - band and fans. I also ended up being unofficial photographer to loads of people who wanted their photos taken with the band.

I would ask that you don't have such an elitist attitude towards people who quite obviously aren't "in the know" and don't have the time to spend checking messageboards on a regular basis. I'm sure I didn't spoil anyone's aftershow experience. You, however, have slightly soured mine. Cheers for that...

Matt, please don't take such offence at my misplaced choice of words. I admit 'barged in' was a poor way of putting it, but from inside seeing about twenty or thirty people running in at once doesn't say much for the organisation of City Hall is what I meant. My criticism was of City Hall, not of anyone who was there as I'm not above anyone else and yes, I expect I quite probably would have done the exact same thing as you. In fact yeah, I definitely would have done the same thing. My point was that with other events, if this was how City Hall organised things with bands who have larger numbers of people or less pleasant people wanting in after a show, total chaos could result. As it was no-one was out of order.

I am very, very sorry to you if you thought I was being elitist or that I thought I was above anyone else who was there. Not a bit of it. In fact Matt, on a personal note, I remember your Deep Purple bootleg comment to Joe and was the guy who took your photo with him, before you very courteously returned the favour. My friends who were with me at the Aftershow went up at different times to when I did, so I felt kind of guilty and apologetic to ask someone else to do that for me, which you very kindly did, while I had no problem obliging anyone else when they wanted me to take a picture for them or ask something about what was happening. Steve and Joe were great but it was incredibly humbling to talk to them, which meant that if anything, during the Aftershow I had a bit of an inferiority complex going on at the time. I'm sorry that you have taken my comments the wrong way as that was not what I meant. As I say, criticism was of City Hall, it was a minor point which didn't spoil my time at the Aftershow and was something I voiced as part of a number of small things that seemed odd (the sound problems and curfews being the other far more important things that I noticed). My worry was that Joe and Steve might not want to come back to Newcastle if things like curfews, disrespect to Robert Fripp and sound difficulties are the main memories that they take away with them, but I mentioned the Aftershow thing as well. It was just that it happened the moment that Joe appeared, where security guys had been standing up until then, so it looked from inside as though City Hall had cocked up somewhere, which doesn't look good when Joe and Steve decide where to play on the next tour. If you saw things differently from outside, then I'm sorry if I offended you with my choice of words. Anyway, it was neither here nor there, I only mentioned it casually, so please don't take what I said so seriously or personally. I don't feel like I own Joe or Steve or dictate anything to anyone else, I just wanted to post a review of the show as I saw it, which evidently I have made a horrible job of doing.

I also want to take this chance to apologise to anyone else who thinks I was being arrogant, self-righteous or elitist in my last post, that wasn't the idea at all as I'm not above anyone else and in fact felt quite beneath a lot of you who had much better and more inciteful things to discuss with Joe and Steve. I've been a fan of Steve since I was eight and Joe since I was nine or ten (I'm in my mid-twenties now), so I wouldn't have a go at anyone for going back into the venue to meet them as I would have done the same thing.

Matt, I know you said that you don't check these boards very often but I hope you can accept my apology for what seems like a misunderstanding. I didn't mean to sound condescending to you or anyone else and hope that you can forgive me for that choice of words. The way you took it wasn't what I meant and I just chose my words badly. I hope it hasn't soured your experience, particularly since you went to the show to see Joe and Steve and not some idiot like me.
matt_sefton
Newcomer

TO SKYSCRAPER:
On reflection, after re-reading my post, it's probably me who owes you an apology, not the other way around :)

It's been a helluva long time since I went to a gig at the City Hall. I'm 38 now and between the ages of 10 and 25-ish I saw some amazing bands at the City Hall - bands that I can't believe now fitted in the venue such as Black Sabbath with Van Halen suppoting (what a night that was!), Genesis, Aerosmith, Vai, Ozzy with Randy Rhoads, etc, etc. I pretty much saw everyone I wanted to see and now I have to go and see big bands in awful cattlesheds like Wembley and the Telewest Arena.

I'm a bit out of practice with the 'etiquette' of meeting bands - when I used to go and meet bands, which I did at most gigs but usually at the good old Holiday Inn in Seaton Burn or the Gosforth Park Hotel, but occassionally at the Stage Door, it was like a rugby scrum :) I couldn't believe how civilised the Vai gig was!

I also didn't realise that 20 or 30 people barging in before I did. I can see how that would seem out of order to you.

By the way, your photo of me and Satch came out great, so thanks for that :) Hope the one I took comes out OK for you!

Cheers,
Matt

[/img]
phil27

If I didn't have the backstage pass I admit that I would have tried my upmost to get in and meet the guys. Steve Vai was the person who got me started on guitar so it is only natural that I would want to meet him and thank him etc.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the good people who were there afterwards, as I never really got the chance to thank them for taking photos of me with the band members with my camera.

So once again a big thank you to you lot.
Skyscraper

Thanks Matt for your kind words. You don't oe me an apology though, as you did nothing wrong. I'm glad your photo has come out well, since you had to explain to me about three times how to press one button! :lol: I received your private message as well and am definitely interested, so I expect I will get back to you on that!

I still feel that my apology was necessary, to everyone else in the same position as well. The only other thing worth mentioning about it was that there were guys watching the fire exit when we left the Aftershow (just after Steve and Joe left) and people were still waiting there, including a guy who I hoped I hadn't annoyed too much by making him move out of his seat to let me past on account of my weak bladder! I felt kind of sorry in another sense in that those people had missed their opportunity and some were even asking us for our passes to let them into the venue. That's what I meant by poor organisation, since it seemed from my experience like some of the time they were keeping people from entering and some of the time they weren't bothered. Everyone who did enter, which I would have done in the same position, was very friendly, particularly your good self in my case Matt, and everything went great!

I'm pleased you've replied Matt and that you're fine with what I've said, so thanks for putting my mind at ease.
DAWN
Newcomer

Had to post a review of the Newcastle Concert as this was the first time I have been able to see Steve Vai live, although I have admired his work for a few years now. Enjoyed the whole show (including Robert Fripp) but Steve was the artist I came to see and I was not disappointed. Even my boyfriend who has never been a fan, thought he was brilliant.
MUST mention that we were on the balcony and some people near us who were slow hand clapping Fripp did so because they thought his set was an overlong intro not a set! We could not see him as he was hiding away on the left hand side of the stage and even i thought it was a taped intro for the first 3 numbers! I think people were just impatient to get the show underway but if they knew it was Fripps set then it was inexcuseable.
Anyway, a brilliant performance.
NantucketSleighrider

Absolutely amazing show, but I was very very dissapointed at people giving grief to Robert Fripp. His set was amazing, and I know that Robert is 100 times the guitarist that any of the heckelers will ever be. But if you look at how many people were heckling, compared to how many that weren't, I think Robert's brilliance shows. Steve WOULD hate the people who were givin grief, as the whole point of G3 is guitarists expressing themselves, its not about "fast", which is what a lot of the dickheads in the audience apparently wanted to see. It it a lot more about being fast, and Robert had soul in his playing, so did Steve and Joe. I would love to see Robert play with G3 again, and if Robert does read these message boards, all I heard on the way out of the city hall, was positive comments about his set. All the little wankers had to be home to mummy by that time anyway. And anyway, Fripps solo at the end was by far the best one of the whole show. Enough of the griefin the little shits, Steve, you were amazing, Joe, mind blowing, Robert, *I passed out from amazment* in you set. Hope to see you back soon, but this time, without the pricks in the city hall