REVIEWS: 24 October: CHICAGO, IL

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Did you see the Chicago show?

Write your reviews here!

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marszalek
Newcomer

Hey,

Me and my friends got to the venue for the G3'03 show at about 10:15 am. It was great seeing them before the show, really nice people, they actually wanted to see the fans before it started, and before the sound checks. We were the first ones there, so it was really worth the wait.

Ingwie, unlike popular statements made, was NOT sloppy this show, at all. He was throwing picks out to all the fans, especially those that were making the most noise. His shredding was clear and crisp, all the songs were real good, no problems here.

Vai, did a wonderful start with his triple guitar and finished with For the Love of God. As always he talked to the crowd and got us pumped. Again, the band played each others instruments and added parts to songs. I think he was the "best" of the three, but thats just my opinion.

Joe, was also good with my favorite Starry Night, also thru a lot of picks. He had some nice jokes and was really excited to be there. His band was awesome as well, especially the bass.

We were in teh front row and it wasnt that bad, i mean it was pretty amazing. I'd recommend that you come as early as possible, the front seats are worth anything!?! Also talking to the band before the show is a must, gets you more "into" it. If i were to tell you to go or not, id have to say it would be something you could NOT miss! Any other questions? post away, we jsut got back from show, hope Steve Vai remembers us, and how we offered him some spinach pizza at 11:00 am! :)

Paul
sword

Any word on if the DVD is at the concerts yet?

(¯`·._.·§wo®d·._.·´¯)
yyazic1
Newcomer

They made history in Chicago. I still cannot believe this happened. Steve, Joe and Yngwie. I don't know how to thank you guys.

First the Viking came out and did a spectacular job. Hats of to this amazing musician. I've been listening to him for many years now. He makes you feel like going home and breaking whatever instrument you play.

Then Steve. He was brilliant. I think he had the best band. Getting to see Billy and Tony was a big bonus. Great job.

You can only bring Joe after these two guys do what they do. Phew. Can you believe trying to impress a crowd after these guys? I would pee in my pants. But of course if you are Joe you don't.

The jam was quite unbelieveable. They sounded perfect together. Each one has thier own style which makes it only better. Great stuff.

I read some serious Yngwie bashing on the reviews of shows in other cities. You see these guys at the concert making fun of Yngwie before the show. And then isn't it funny when the guy throws a stupid guitar pick they are the first ones to get on their knees and beg to find it? Not only funny but also pathetic in another way. You may not like their individual style but I believe one has to respect their talent and the commitment to work so much to and become so good at it.

I could spot Yngwie's drummer, keyboard player and Steve's drummer hanging out with the crowd after their show. This happened during Joe's gig. They were really friendly and fun. But I could not stay long because Joe had started. Did you guys get to meet the others? Where were they?

Hope the DVD comes out soon. I heard the Denver show would be on DVD. If you missed them live at least see their DVD.

I wonder who will be on the next G3? Michael Angelo? maybe...

Peace,

Yigit
Ekim

I was there around 1130, I think. Around 6th in line, so I guess we saw each other, huh? I was the one with the green swirl t-shirt (Jemsite) and the Indiana Pacers jacket.

What a show!! I was just left of center stage in the front row on the floor.

Yngwie wasn't sloppy that I could hear, but his sound was too distorted, making it sound dirty. YJM was much better than I expected, especially that badassed acoustic stuff he played. I just wish the stupid fog machines would've been given a break. I was getting sick from them. I really liked the bassist. I got the bassist's pick! He had a good distorted bass tone, and did a great job but it too was too dirty sounding IMO. Plus, he looked like Geddy Lee's clone, just younger. My friend got 3 Yngwie picks!

Vai was awesome!

Setlist (best I can remember, please correct me if wrong)
Improv / etude on the triple neck
New song
The Reaper
Juice
song from PCU
Whispering A Prayer
For The Love Of God
(I think I'm missing a song on here)

I was so into this show, and to make it even better, Vai kept looking right at me throughout the whole set. At the aftershow (THANK YOU VAI.COM!) Vai told me he tries to lock in with one fan, and I WAS HIM! My favorite guitarist in the whole world locked in with me and it was a beautiful experience. His music is too awesome! What a great set. I was worried that Vai might do the same sort of setlist from previous tours and he slapped me silly!! He signed my Universe guitar neck on the headstock and shook my hand. I was so high on life last night, I can't describe it.

THANK YOU STEVE VAI AND VAI.COM!! Too cool, man!

Oh, and Satch and the jam were cool too. (Sorry, my hands hurt from typing already)
slapgup

Pretty funny... only at an Yngwie show could you get 3!!! guitar picks.
shotput250

Thank You, Mr. Vai... I came from michigan to see the show. I got more for my money's worth than I deserved. An experience I will never forget. That concert meant so much to me.

Thank you for playing, Mr. Vai... From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Ian Morrison
tkedwards
Newcomer

:cry: You guys can't believe this shit i drove from macomb, IL to see this show i loft at noon to get here skip some classes just to see this show. Got up there to chicago around 3:30 ish and 4 got stuck in the damn traffic on 88. Got to the show around 8:30 from waiting on the highway that was backed up, and to make matters worse when i got to the show there was not a parking place in site. I miss the fucking show i'm very pissed i been waiting for this concert for about 3 years now to see all three of them especially Vai, and Yngwie. I hope sombody can help me out here i drove by the venue and saw yngwie marshall stacks coming out the back and i felt like i was going to die. I really wanted to see this show really bad i just wanted to park my car in the street and get out, and get my ass in that show to this. I was hoping to see one of them come out back when i drove by. If anybody has the power to let Vai,Malmsteen, or Satriani to see this posting please show them i would like to hear from them. I've been a fan for about 3 years and this was a dream come true to see all 3 in one night. I'm still in shock knowing i paid for 2 tickets pre-paid when they first went on sale for pre buy i bought mine and spent 100 dollars just went down the damn drain. SO please help me out i feel like absoulte shit. Thanks for great music all 3 G's wish i could have been there to see you guys live!!! Keep Rocking With Love, Todd K. Edwards
Xavier

Yngwie, Vai, and Satch are awesome guitar players. Although, Vai had the best performance out of the three, especially when he opened his set with a new solo piece on the triple-neck guitar.

The guitar was the triple-neck white Jem, not the heart-shaped one. He sat down on a red chair and played the most beautiful, futuristic music that I ever heard from him. I hope he records the song in the near future. Vai looked futuristic as well without looking ridiculous. He was wearing patterned, see-through black clothes and blue-tinted glasses.

I shook Steve Vai's hand and got his autograph on my ticket the moment he came out of his tour bus. My friends and I offered him spinach pizza but he said he just woke up and that he couldn't eat pizza that early in the day. It was 2:30 in the afternoon though! We also had to redirect him on where the venue was because we saw him enter the wrong building!

We were also the first ones in line and saw the three Gs front row. I met and got autographs from Billy Sheehan, Dave Weiner, Joe Satriani, and Yngwie's keyboardist all on the same ticket as well. In addition, I got world-famous photographer, Neil Zlozower's autograph, a triangle-shaped guitar pick from Billy Sheehan, and had two picks thrown directly at me by Yngwie.

Aside from all the autographs and guitar picks my friends and I got, it was priceless just to meet Steve Vai and see him play his soul out, front row. Rock on Steve Vai and may God Bless You!
Trashy14
Newcomer

Well I think the other posts pretty much summed up the show. Yngwie was dead on and threw out more picks than Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, Vai was amazing, Satch rocked and the jam was outstanding.

I took the advice of another post to hang out by the bus after the show. Steve and Joe posed for pics and signed stuff while Yngwie went on to the bus and his wife collected items to get signed and brought them back to him. I met a guy with a dark red Ibanez RG who asked Yngwie's wife if he could sign the back of the headstock. This guy wanted to get all three signatures on the headstock. The guitar comes out with silver marker on the front top horn reading "Play Fender! Yngwie J. Malmsteen". The guitar made the rounds with everyone signing their own comments. Satch put "Play Ibanez" while Dave Wiener signed "Play 7 Strings".

If you happen to know this guy, let him know that I got some pics of that guitar getting signed for him.
pozydhar

Uhh, you got that 1/3rd correct. Yngwie wrote "Play fenders!, Satch wrote "Play what you like" and I didn't see the third one but I know Vai wrote whatever it was since I saw him signing on that thing.
Ekim

That's pretty funny! When I got Vai to sign my Universe neck, I told him "It's a rat and I'm fixing it up."

He said "ALL of my guitars are rat guitars!"
Willin

Ekim wrote:That's pretty funny! When I got Vai to sign my Universe neck, I told him "It's a rat and I'm fixing it up."

He said "ALL of my guitars are rat guitars!"
How are you guys getting your guitars into the venues? They let you take them in? I am going to a show at the beacon theater and i'd love to have satch, yngwie, and vai sign my guitar, but I mean... if they don't let me in with my guitar, i'm stuck because the venue is in the middle of New York City and I live an hour away...
Ekim

I took both of my guitar necks off. I just clipped the strings and loosened the truss rods. But I still didn't carry them into the show. We had aftershow passes and my buddy went back to the car and got my bag with the two necks in it.
Ffats

Yeah, really amazing show... Vai stood out on the bill as told. Unfortunately getting there 20 minutes after the doors opened led me and my friends to the nosebleed section. I hope I get to see 'em next year... I think I'll sleep overnight this time :lol: (my god, traffic was horrible from Elburn - tiny suburb, 50 miles from the Riviera. We went 20 most of the way!)

I met Yngwie's drummer in the lobby of the Riviera. Anyway, I said "Great Job, Man" and an obviously intoxicated drummer threw out his fist to me "Thanks man! WHOOO! WHOO!". He was a fun and nice guy.

My only problem is the merch prices... isn't it a little steep?