REVIEWS: 22 OCTOBER - NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
london_calling
Newcomer

the show was amazing, steve and the whole band where fantastic and such great guys and a pleasure to watch. id also like to thank eric sardinas for starting the show off, he was totally amazing and id like the thank him for signing my cd and being such a cool guy.

cant wait till you come back :lol:
rocknuts

What an amazing show. I was at the soundcheck and Steve's lasted until 18.30.

Then Eric Sardinas rushed on for 5 mins and then Bamm! Doors gotta be opened. So he runs off!

That is why his sound was poor.

Never mind!

Heres my pics

www.putfile.com/rocknuts
NantucketSleighrider

Here are some photos, I took loads, i will get them all up soon, or link them, its just being bothered to do it. I hope they aren't too huge, enjoy...

Image[/img]
NantucketSleighrider

and another, sorry if its too big!

NantucketSleighrider

One more for the time being!

Lea
Newcomer

Those are some good photos! Slightly heeawge though!
JRBidley
Newcomer

Hey Steve and all,

Needed a few days to get over the gig on saturday, and to evaluate the extent to which it has changed my musical horizons. The first song 'Glorious', my personal favourite from the new album, makes me laugh everytime I hear it (whether intended to, or not). From that monent on I knew my ticket hadn't been a waste, I am a student on a tight budget after all.

There were yet more treats in store later on. The acoustic set was magical, and my cynicism was put to rest as I initially thought it was a showcase for the knew vai acoustic. There was clearly enough soul and integrity in there for that idea to be dispelled. 'Rescue me or bury me' was great but the omission of your GREATEST electric guitar solo was dissapointing. Where was Eric Sardinas with his slide during this session. He should have been dragged away from the bar on to stage, it would have been cool. He was clearly a bit wasted at the end of the night! We all could see you ushering him around the stage.

The outfits were as manic as ever, and it was cool to see the Vai human light show again, it looked fantastic from up in the balcony. Billy sheenan's pants were fantastic. Oh, its up to dave weiner to jazz himself up a bit.

Anyway hurry back to the Toon, you're very welcome.

Hope the recording shows you how fantastic the show went for everyone participating.

JR bidley

Jonnybidley@hotmail.com
espguitarlord

It was incredible. Inspirational even. And it makes my attempts at playing the guitar pathetic...but hey, I enjoyed it;
I had purchased an Evo ticket for the second time, and in total it was the third meeting Vai and he was just as approachable as on the previous occasions. This time I particually enjoyed the soundcheck, just seeing how the band interacted with eachother in preparation added a new dimension to hearing the finished product.
I'm a big Eric Sardinas fan, and he was awesome. Plus I got to meet him which was a bonus.
joking
Newcomer

it seriously was awesome. really really really amazing. when my friend booked the tickets we forgot about the whole seating plan. thinking we were near the front ended up quite far back, still saw everything. and were mightily impressed. one of the best concerts of my life.
chiefminger
Newcomer

Overall, a smashing night out. Had been to the Glasgow gig the night before and knew what to expect. Tony Mac walked past us in the Cafe in Glasgow!!

Anyways, I'll go on about this one...

Stood outside in the rain for 2 hours in the hope I would get to meet em like the previous year. Nee luck.

Front row tonight which I couldn't have wanted more! Superb show throughout! Just wish I knew what Eric's set was. The bloke was simply ace. Took the time to stand outside the hall in the merchandise bit to chat to us all. Great conversation back there.

Vai comes out to a standing ovation, and the crowd stands all night, which is far better than what the Glasgow crowd did!! However, I couldn't help but notice the odd error and mistake here and there on Vai's part. Especially at the end of Lotus Feet when he hit a note just a tad too high. Vai made it evident by cursing himself. lol.

Also, from watching both gigs, I have the utmost sympathy for Tony Mac who didn't the full attention of sound tecs and the likes. Notably, having to miss bits out or look daft by not sounding out. And his acoustic was out of tune! The poor lad had to play away from the mic in Newcastle.

Jeremy was immense both nights and there are no complaints about Dave either. Spot on, immacualte professionals.

Sheehan. What more can I say? Outstanding!! The man of both nights by far!! The man is sheer class. Making the effort to point to me and me mate throughout both gigs, playing splendidly and doing it effortlessly.

End of show, I'm over the moon. I continue waiting outside for a bit banter and hopefully get a few things signed to get a bit of inspiration and that. Eric comes out again, the lads have a good chat with him. Jeremy comes out. Also ace (but my autograph smudged! Dammit! lol). Then Vai comes out. On both occasions I've seen him, he seems very hesitant at meeting fans, as if he really doesn't want to be there. Of course this could be down to fatigue, but haweh, he's adored by millions. So everyone's busy barging in front of me to get photos and autographs and that. 10 mins later, I'm still trying without forcing, trying not to hassle him. I'm practically the last kid left to get seen to, but then he turns round, says a quick "thanks, goodnight" and away he goes, leaving me disappointed.

However, wor Billy comes oot. The bloke is as much impressive socially as he is musically. He's just in there with the blood, sweat and beers, feeling comfortable and having a bit patter (chat to those who don't know :P) with us all. Makes sure he sees to his fans, has a few photos and a few jokes here and there. What a bloke!

So, both nights, overall not perfect, but great nights. Just don't feel my inspiration's been fulfilled as much as last year. There was an air of uncomfortability about some which I never noticed last year. That kinda put me off. Nevertheless, awesome shows and I would love to see them back again next year (I'll hold Eric and Vai to their words! :P)
Fiddy
Newcomer

Wow - what a fantastic night. Not only is Steve Vai a brilliant guitarist but he is the king of cool!!!

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. This is the second time we have seen him live - he just gets better each time.

Highlights of the night were Bad Horsie and For The Love Of God. Also enjoyed the solo performances by each of the band members. Just a shame we missed the majority of Eric Sardinas (that will teach me not to check the venue times).

Can't wait for the next time.

Mary & Michelle
NantucketSleighrider

But they didn't play Bad Horsie!
SirPsychoSexy
Newcomer

or boston rain melody !!
NantucketSleighrider

Finally got round to putting all of my photos online, and at sensible sizes, heres the link to the slideshow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93678742@N ... 4915/show/

enjoy!
chiefminger
Newcomer

I think you've mistaken Bad Horsie for Midway Creatures, mate :wink: