REVIEWS: 27 APRIL 2005: ANAHEIM, CA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator7VWH

Have you seen this show?

We'd love to read your reviews!

8)

Moderator7VWH
Jippy

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said before. What an impressive group of guys on that stage last night :shock: . Steve & Co. effectively tore the roof off the place. Total set ran almost three hours. So much music was played that I'm still having trouble sorting it all out. Highlights for me were "The Audience is Listening" ,"K'm Pee Do Wee", and "Whispering a Prayer". Also, I never really got into "Lotus Feet" until seeing it performed last night. Now I think it's one of my favorite ballads of his. The acoustic set was particularly awesome. I think most guitar players realize how unforgiving the acoustic guitar is, which really made Steve's performance inspiring. I think after last night's show, I may just sell my guitar and open a taco stand :D . Steve, thank you for sharing this god-given talent with the world. You are a true freak (and I mean that in the nicest possible way)!
Tbob
Newcomer

Wow! What an amazing show! I am so thankful for the opportunity to have been so thoroughly entertained!! Steve, you truly blessed us, in more than one way! Again, thank you for inviting me back to be with my son Mike! You are awesome, and your generosity has inspired Mike! After the show we stopped at an am/pm to get something to eat for the road and a couple of young guys were there talking about how amazing the show was, but how they really had wished they could have gotten your autograph. Mike, inspired by your graciousness, offered them one of his CD inserts you had signed (he had 2 :wink: ) You could have knocked me over with a feather! So.......aside from the fact that last night was BY FAR the most musically energizing shows I have ever seen, I also believe my son and I walked away better people. He will, no doubt, in turn treat those who come to hear his music with the same kindness and respect that you show to your fans!
Oh yea, and the rest of the band.....incredible, just incredible! They are not only phenomenal musicians, but athletes as well!
As Jippy said above, Thank YOU for sharing your talent, and blessing us all!!
Always Thankful,
Mikes mom :wink:
BobDaNob

The Show

This was a fantastic show. :) Definitely better than when I'd seen him a few years or so before. All of the band were in top form and gave an outstanding performance; great songs, great musicianship, great performance and a great aftershow.

What was the most wonderful for me personally about this show was that it was the first time my fiancee had ever really been exposed to Steve and his music. She'd heard me playing his songs, blasting it in the car and all that other 'guitar music' stuff she thought she didn't have a taste for, but her attitude changed completely during the show. She found 'Whispering a Prayer' simply beautiful, and when Steve hit that one note and slowly raised it higher and higher, rising that one note straight into the melody at the very end...her mouth fell open and her eyes got huge and I could see her mouth the words, '...oh my god...'. That, to me, was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. What was basically a first time listener touched so deeply by one song that her hands started to shake. Like Steve says, you only get one first listen. :) His first impression on her was ENORMOUS.

Later on, during 'Lotus Feet', she watched him with binoculars for the entire song (even though she has good eyes) and said watching him play that song was one of the most beautiful things she's ever seen, that it was amazing to be able to see the music in his face, see one man so passionately become his music. She told me after the show that she was on the very verge of breaking into tears. Man, if I'm ever able to write something that touches someone so deeply, I'll die the happiest man on Earth. My gods...it was incredible just sharing in her moment.

The Aftershow

Then there was the aftershow. :D First she gets to hear a man play some of the most amazing music she's ever heard, then she gets to meet him. I'm not sure who was happier, me or her. LOL Steve was very personable and warm, very easy to talk to. Just shaking the hand of one of the men who helped define who I am as a guitarist would have been enough, but I also got his sig and a picture. (it was right about then that I decided the camera was the best invention EVER. LOL) After my somewhat embarrassed fiancee got him to autograph her aftershow pass that she had inadverdantly stuck right over her breast (LOL), she got a pic with him and got to tell Steve herself what his music had just done to her; how she was a first time fan, how amazing the music was and everything. Steve seemed quite interested and happy about all of it, because I'm sure those are the moments he lives for: playing his music for someone who's never heard it before and tapping a fundamental nerve in their soul. Awesome. Then we chatted about kids for a bit, and we let him on his way. We leaned back on the stage and just enjoyed the atmosphere...

Not to long after that, Billy comes walking across the stage (rather than through the side door) with a cup of wine and hops down right next to us. :shock: I was really hoping Billy would show, since I've loved his playing for years now, and I really wanted to meet such a legend. However, I didn't expect him to hop down next to us, look me in the eye and ask, 'so, how was the show?'. LOL Billy was even friendlier than Steve, his personality is very outgoing and he's quite the humble guy. My fiancee couldn't stop telling him how amazing he was and that she didn't know people could play a bass like that until she saw him, and he just took it all in stride with a smile and a sip of wine. :) Very, very friendly guy. He's one genuinely good human being. He even told my fiancee to email him some of the pictures she took, that maybe he can use some for his website (she's semi-pro and had a really nice camera). To cool.

Afterwards, Billy just stood there and chatted with a big circle of people and Steve oversaw a man propose to his fiancee. It was nice being around people that loved Steve, Billy and their music so much. :D There was even one adorable twelve year old girl braving the early morning hours clutching a pen and a book with such obvious excitement...ahh, it was great. Image

One of the best experiances I've ever had. My thanks to Steve, Mikey and all on the Vai team. You guys are the best.

Thanks,
Robert~
mhuey1

What can I say... The show was amazing! It was by far the best show that I've seen an artist do. I don't know if Steve reads this stuff, but man... You were way better than Prince! and thanks for stopping the "fight". I think it speaks volumes about your character. :wink:

The After After Show
Once again I don’t know if Steve reads this stuff, but if you do. Thanks a Million!!! There was about 15 fans that waited a little over 2 hours in eager hopefulness to get an autograph and shake hands with Steve. About 5 mins before Steve comes out, it starts raining... :x Now at 2am Steve could have walked/ran to his bus, but he comes over to meet his fans, signs autographs and takes pictures. To top it off, when his finished, he look around and says "So, is that it?". Amazing. In the rain and wanting to make sure that every one goes home satisfied. 8)

Thanks a million and thanks for signing my UV777 guitar and if you ever need an artist let me know. :lol:

M.HUEY
Last edited by mhuey1 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobDaNob

Ah, yes, the fights. There were at least two, one about seven feet away from me in which they splashed some damn coffee on me and my fiancee and another in the front that Steve himself saw. He stopped playing, went to the mic and said, 'Hey, there's gonna be no fucking fighting while I'm trying to perform'. :D That was damn cool. Word from The Man: knock it off. LOL The two oafs brawling next to us were ejected.

At the aftershow, Steve joked about the remark and how pompous it sounded. But hey, this is Vai, not Korn. No one wants that shit at a Vai show. :)

mhuey1 - I saw all you guys standing out there, since we parked our car about two spaces from the fence right next to you guys. I was the guy in the red shirt. lol That's really great that Steve took the time to see you guys. Man, that is so awesome. My fiancee was really bummed when she saw everyone standing out there hoping to see Steve. She'll be really happy to know that everyone there went home happy after standing out there for so long.

Steve is the best!
Zepman
Newcomer

I will concur that the show was absolutely amazing! I've been seeing Steve since the David Lee Roth days, and this was definitely one of the best shows ever (but I probably think that after each one!) One song that I don't know if it's been mentioned that he played, was Love Blood. Took me a few sec's to recognize that one! The band is so tight now, and just scary, how good they are!

My g/f & I hung out for the aftershow meet & greet, which was really nice & informal, with Steve & Billy just hanging out and talking to everyone who was there. Steve was very gracious to make sure he went around & talked to everyone there. I think he was pretty amazed at the guy who proposed to his girlfriend in front of him, and I think it really touched him that his music meant so much to them. Congrats guys, very cool!

My friend who built a guitar for Eric Sardinas took a pic of us with Steve for me, and he started to tell Steve that I play in a Led Zeppelin tribute band. With his Polish accent, Steve didn't quite hear him, and he looked at me very sceptically and asked, "So, you play guitar for Led Zeppelin?" (Obviously thinking, who is this liar?!) I started laughing, and said, "No, Led Zepagain!" He said "Oh, ok!"

Billy was also great to talk to, really nice & down to earth.

Anyway, great night, killer show, and can't wait to see it again on Sat at the Wiltern!
BobDaNob

My friend who built a guitar for Eric Sardinas took a pic of us with Steve for me, and he started to tell Steve that I play in a Led Zeppelin tribute band. With his Polish accent, Steve didn't quite hear him, and he looked at me very sceptically and asked, "So, you play guitar for Led Zeppelin?" (Obviously thinking, who is this liar?!) I started laughing, and said, "No, Led Zepagain!" He said "Oh, ok!"
LOL I remember hearing that part of conversation. Didn't he ask for your autograph, too, while everyone was laughing? :P 'You play in Led Zeppelin? I want your autograph!' Funny stuff.
cain777

The show was awesome. but thats an understatement. Dr. Vai put on one heck of a show. I was in awe the whole time. Tony was the man on keys, but I was waiting for edge of insanity. Billy and his extraordinayry abilities has left me mesmerized. Dave had an excellent performance. Jeremy is such a young talented drummer. And Dr. Vai left me memories and lifelong inspiration. He threw his charisma and character all over the stage, there was not one moment where he wasnt enjoying himself and having fun except for the part where he told the guys next to me to "Knock it off" Other than that excellent show. His tone was great, sounded awesome. I cant speak anymore beacause I was literally screaming the lyrics to love blood from the the very front of the stage. while I was screaming steve kept looking at me.(he was proly like look at this moron) When Steve shook my hand, I felt as if I was shaking the hand of a divine creature. It was a great show, and i can not thank steve enough for the inspiration and happiness he has brought to me. BRAVO!!
Draven0914

Mr. Steve Vai and company (if you read this that is)

I want to thank you for the BEST Concert expierence I have ever been able to witness in my life......The show was absolutely more than I ever imagined it was going to be........you have been in inspiration of mine ever since Passion and Warfare was released.......and that show was even more inspiring than anythign I have witnessed in my life......and as others posted in previous messages me and my girlfriend thought it was extremeley cool of Steve to stop the fight he witnessed going on.......I sat in my seat in complete awwww as Steve played his set and with each passing song I wanted in anticipaton to hear "For The Love Of God" and in closing Steve played that very song I got out of my seat and worked my way down to the stage in hopes of being able to talk to Steve to thank him for being such the inspiration he is to me.........but being only 5 foot 3 inches and walking on crutches (Partially paralyzed from the waist down) it is hard to get spotted........and had I thought I could have stood there and waited like the others did I would have just to be able to thank Steve him myself for his inspiration and the GREAT show he put on for us but my legs would not have let me do so and the people of The Grove I talked to told me that they could not get Steve to sign my CD for me and that Steve had already left and that he was not around.........I understand this is not Steve's fault and nor do I blame him.......I just hope that one day our paths will cross again and I will be able to thank him and shake his hand and let him know he is a true inspiration

Thank You and God Bless

Justin
Zepman
Newcomer

BobDaNob wrote:
LOL I remember hearing that part of conversation. Didn't he ask for your autograph, too, while everyone was laughing? :P 'You play in Led Zeppelin? I want your autograph!' Funny stuff.
Ha ha, that's right, he did say that! Great sense of humor, that guy! :D
kpxmikey89

haha if u guys saw me i was the 15 year old short asian guy with a blue cap on the way front left, hehe

i was dam excited about everything, my first concert experience with a guitar virtuoso, not your regular guitar virtuoso but the greatest guitar player on earth! =D

it was so amazing the speakers was right next to my left ear so i had mucho fun rockin in to the music,

when i saw steve coming up, i started not to believe my eyes that im seeing steve vai, bcause i would read about him, c his live vids, his guitar pose shoots, concert pictures on my copmuter, but never get to really see him, i would see him on magazines, but i couldnt belive my eyes

i thougth i was gonna cry when i saw steve vai, lol
hes like 43 years old? and he told us in september this year, its 25th year on him touring since he began which i think its about when he was 17

it was so funny he talked about how he had a dream about having a talk show with eminem and he told us that eminem said in his dream" man i walked out of a vai show and all he does is play silly tunes and loud craziness stuff and pull funny faces and stuff" and steve told us ,"well then i put m finger on my lips and said ' you suck fucc you" =D lol

steves such as funny, loving man, i hope i get to see him live again someday, i couldnt wait for the signatures, ihad school the day after x_x
but next time i would definetely stay after to hang out with him and ask questions and i want to take his band out to eat some asian sushi dinnder wit me, heh :P
ryancrife
Newcomer

Oh man i can not tell you how amazing a show that was. Origianally my 4 friends and I were sitting at our table watching that first band play which i didnt really care for, but when i noticed people were standing on that back rail of teh grove i asked a waiter if we could stand there and he suggested we go to the front. So we go down there and start inching our way forwards. My short friend acctually got to the rail by the last 20 minutes of the show but i was only 3-4 peopel back for most of it. I rate this as my 2nd greatest concert experience ever. The 1st was Metallica in LA when i was on the rail right by one of the mics and they played Dyers Eve for the 1st time ever. But back to vai, that was an incredible night. I have to say the only bad part was this one drunk dumbass who was pushing us all around starting shit with everyone. He was teh guy who started the Fight which Vai stopped during bad horsie. All i can say is what class by Vai. The song after Bad horsie the group of people im around and with noticed that security had gotten ahold of the drunk and pulled him out so everyone started clapping. After that everyone kinda settled into there spot, and i noticed it was not as cramped or as straining since with that one person gone it was much more plesent. That just goes to show you that one guy can ruin a show for everyone. But with him gone the rest of the night was just incredible. I can not even explain the thrill it was any time i made eye contact with anyone in the band, especially Steve. I can not wait untill the next time. Thank you Mr Vai.
mhuey1

ryancrife wrote:Bad horsie
Bad horise... i wish. The song was actually Midway Creatures. :wink:
I guess you can say Vai was wearing the "Bad horise" out fit.
kpxmikey89

yeah.. i thought i didnt hear bad horsie...

whispering a prayer was nice tho :D