Trill speed - how do you improve it?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Zebula77

Ok, so this is something I've been struggling with for a while. My fingers seem to be kinda slow when I'm doing trills, and then I hear someone like Petrucci, whose trills are violin-fast. :shock:
How do you improve the speed? Do you just repete it over and over, or is it just that some people have faster fingers? :?
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Repeat until you can't stand it, and then some more....
Zebula77

Yeah, I've tried that. Don't see any improvement but I guess I just have to keep on doing it.
Thanks.
The Extremist

just keep trilling man, keep trilling until your faster than satch, then you got it.
theox

Practice thrills with a metronome and a timer. Set the timer to one minute (for example) and keep thrilling at a specific tempo set by the metronome (whatever feels comfortable). Use all fingerings (1-2 1-3 1-4 2-3 2-4 3-4).

This will also improve your overall technique.

The hardest thing in life is to do all the boring stuff, but it's also one of the most rewarding. Good luck with your journey!
The Extremist

theox wrote:Practice thrills with a metronome and a timer. Set the timer to one minute (for example) and keep thrilling at a specific tempo set by the metronome (whatever feels comfortable). Use all fingerings (1-2 1-3 1-4 2-3 2-4 3-4).

This will also improve your overall technique.

The hardest thing in life is to do all the boring stuff, but it's also one of the most rewarding. Good luck with your journey!
Or try to Play along with satriani on songs like Flying In A Blue Dream, that song is covered in stuff like that.
Zebula77

Thanks.
I've tried to do trills between my ring and pinky fingers, but it's almost impossible. They're like, connected to eachother somehow, heh. I move one, and the other follows. Very annoying.
Of course, it gets better with all the practice I put in. I just wish they weren't so linked.
BornToShred

Zebula77 wrote:I've tried to do trills between my ring and pinky fingers, but it's almost impossible. They're like, connected to eachother somehow, heh. I move one, and the other follows. Very annoying.
Yes. They can never be truly independent of each other, because of human physique. But with practice, you can get pretty close.

But as i said, the human body presents an obstacle in this.
Some famous virtuoso piano player (can't remember the name right now) destroyed his tendons on those fingers completely by trying to get them to work totally independent of each other.
Andelusion

It's just practice pal, there's no substitute. Keep at it and in a few weeks/months you won't know what it's like to not be able to trill quickly.

I've just got hold of the 30 hour guitar workout and the tips in there on hammer on and pull of excersies are good, just simple stuff as mentioned such as trilling with groups of fingers for 1 minute etc
Brian=soa
Newcomer

they best way to increase your speed is to use heavier gauge strings and then switch back to 9's you will begin to notice a difference after a few months weeks

sooo the best route to take is go 9 ..10..11...12..13 all these should be the high 'E' gauge

oh yeah and never ever think that because you can blaze that you dont have to be accurate!

Peace!
frosty

tip about the heavier strings, I find its alot more effective to try and do everything on a steel string acoustic because if you go back to 9's your fingers will lose all the strength they gained, so practicing every so often on the acoustic is better in my opinion.
Roger

If you're trilling between your first and second finger you can always "cheat" by alternating between the second and third finger while trilling. Pretty common when playing classical guitar, and it's not as hard. It feels pretty funny. Try it!

-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1 <-- fingering would be 1-2-1-3-1-2-1-3...

Roger
rhammill

Most guitarists have poor technique which ultimately limits how fast they can play. Two common issues:

Too much pressure on the string
Too much movement pulling off

Try this:
Rest all four fingers on a single string so they are touching the string, but not pressing it down. Now apply just enough pressure with the four fingers so the string touches the fret, then release. Get used to using a light touch. You can also do this with individual fingers. You are not picking anything, or sounding a note, just getting used to using only enough pressure to fret the string.

As for pulling off, focus on your pulling your finger just off of the string. It doesn't need to move any further than to where it's no longer touching. For me this is particularly difficult with the pinky.

You can also try fretting a string with one finger (like your index finger) and trilling so that the second finger touches the string but does not press it down.

You may find with the last exercise that you are also applying more pressure with the fniger that is already down. If so, try the same thing but without fretting the string. Both fingers in the trill should just touch the string, but not press it down.

Ideally you want to practice this with each combination of fingers (like Steve explains in the link posted above).

If you don't mind spending the money, then go the route of the '80s speed metal gods and get a scalloped fretboard. The wood behind the frets its filed out (like speed dips in the road) so when you fret a string it never touches the neck - if it does the note will be sharp.

For really fast trills you can do something similar to what Roger suggested in the previous post - do a normal trill but add a tap with your picking hand (1-2-1-T-1-2-1-T ...)

Randy
Zebula77

Yeah, I know about that last one where you tap. You can get some insanely fast trills that way.