Tone

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
lydian2000

Clap, clap ,clap......

EDIT: you inserted another post before mine and the latter made me calm down and re-evaluate my answer..POINT MADE SIR.

Yes this thread was not about the encyclopedic definition or the word tone, but rather his generally accepted meaning in the Guitar community.

I personally haven't decided yet wether or not the statement "tone is in your fingers" is true or not, whether Steve was exaggerating when he mentioned EVH trying his rig in steve's studio and sounding "just like EVH", but the satriani Video posted earlier clearly demonstrate that everything is not due to the actual rig/guitar/pickups/amps that you play on.

:peace
guitarmanK1982

Lydian2000 - i'm trying to help people.

If my posts are met with hostility, i'll reply with hostility. And please don't be directly rude to me, since I haven't once said anything directly rude to you - I have posted here to help others reach an understanding on what is meant by 'tone'. If others wish to fight with the definitions, then so be it.

I've already mentioned - my nickname is to do with the year a movie was released that I worked on the soundtrack of.

EVH sounds like EVH due to his phrasing, dynamics, scales used, position changes etc etc etc you get the idea - this is why he sounds like EVH irrespective of the instrument he is playing on. Ironically, 'tone' is the very thing that doesn't define his sound!

Back on topic from now on please.
guitarmanK1982

lydian2000 wrote:the satriani Video posted earlier clearly demonstrate that everything is not due to the actual rig/guitar/pickups/amps that you play on.
That's my very point - it isn't even 'tone' that is being talked about here.

It's is a total and complete misuse of a word - such a misuse that people think that changing the full setup doesn't affect 'tone' - this completely alters the tone.

What it won't alter, however, are the idiosyncratic qualities of the player e.g. phrasing, dynamics, articulation etc etc

Tone has hardly been discussed in this thread. What people seem to be discussing are things such as phrasing, dynamics, articulation etc etc
lydian2000

Yes I subsequently heavily edited my post with regard to what you just typed and PMed you about it.

My hat's off to your restrained and polite response humbles me;-)

I completely agree with what you say on EVH, but it seems to me that the very statement "tone is in your fingers" comes from "the haves" in order not to deter the "have-nots" from believing they sound like poo just because they can't afford the equipment.

I know for a fact that I will defnitely sound better on a full tube amp with a JEM than with a beginner's rig.

So, is this about "tone" or "sound"?

:peace
notavirtuoso

New rule:

When referring to the sounds made by an instrument, we will not refer to them as tone. They will known as Chuck.

When referring to the nuances a musician exhibits in their playing technique we will refer to them as Gus.

Problem solved.*

Example:

The way Steve manipulates his Gus is wonderful as it releases some glorious Chucks.

The problem may indeed need a bit more work, but I'm certain we'll get there.