Tone

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Stephen Brown

In the end if the person is serious about his playing he will have to yield.

Brit pop has a lot to answer for.
NOT!!!

notavirtuoso wrote:Have him watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

hmmm, although this is a video of damn low sound quality and there is a wah used so it´s a very bad video for comparison, you can definately hear it´s a strat and that it differs from satrianis usual sound.
prman

GYiakoumi wrote:How do you convince someone that tone comes from the fingers? because he isn't convinced ~_~
That can`t be done. You can`t force your opinion on anyone.
Mr. Supertron

He plays indie rock which explains everything. When I think Indie rock, I don't think guitar or guitar knowledge, I think wanna be retro/ vintage rockers. It is just a preference in sound. Seems that people don't like music that makes them think these days either. Watch a Dell or iPod commercial and you will know what I am talking about.
Indie to me seems like someone trying to do something that is already been done. If you haven't figured it out, I don't like indie rock.
As for the tone, it comes from the fingers and is brought to life by your choice of equipment.
guitarmanK1982

Mr. Supertron wrote:Seems that people don't like music that makes them think these days either.
Depends on who you are classifying here. The general public, yes, they generally don't like music that 'makes them think', but that was never the primary purpose of music anyway.

Do you only read books that push the boundaries of how the English language is used? There will be hordes of literature/psychology lovers who could also potentially insult people for reading Michael Crichton books. Do you think about this? Probably not. And this is probably the same way that some people think of music i.e. not thinking about it much at all.

The adverts you mention are designed to appeal to as wide a market as possible (which means bigger sales) - as such, the music used is also used to catch the attention of as many people as possible. In this sense it's clever, irrespective of the actual complexity of the music involved. And, ironically, it worked, because you noticed the type of music used in these adverts ;)

RE 'tone':

You'd have to first define what you mean by 'tone'. Tone can be used to describe the fundamental frequency, and the respective perceived volume levels of the harmonic overtones.

The best way to define what you mean by 'tone' would be to give many players the same piece, and the same instrument. The issue would probably become one of interpretation, rather than actual 'tone'.

Is this what you mean by 'tone'?
Guitaruss

prman wrote:
That can`t be done. You can`t force your opinion on anyone.
Its a shame not everyone realises this..:(

To me 'Tone', in guitar parlance anyway (better get that straight before the semantics police go after me) comes from the guitar/amp itself..

Thats your basic 'tone', what you do with it after that is up to you and your fingers or whatever you play the guitar with.. :wink:
Desert_Runner

Ah. For me tone is in the hands, and it's up to you to choose whatever guitar and amp you want.
Guitaruss

Desert_Runner wrote:Ah. For me tone is in the hands, and it's up to you to choose whatever guitar and amp you want.
I see what your saying, I guess you could say Tone comes from the guitar + amp + fingers !! And when you think about it of course it does !!
Desert_Runner

But I say that tone is in the hands, because it's the only factor you can't change. Without drastic surgery.
guitarmanK1982

It's very important to define something, as what constitutes something can't be established before it is understood what the essence of that things is.

Tone needs to be clearly defined by the thread creator before the thread can really go anywhere.

It doesn't matter if it isn't the academic definition of tone that is used - but it must be understood in what context the word is being used.

Guitaruss - semantics in this instance is important, as there is no way that you can begin to define what constitutes something before defining the very thing itself.

If tone is meant as 'the sound perceived', then everything so far is valid - amp, plectrum used, etc etc

I still don't see why tone is purely 'in the fingers'.

But tone has to be defined first.
GYiakoumi

Ok, Thread creator has spoken.
Desert_Runner wrote:But I say that tone is in the hands, because it's the only factor you can't change. Without drastic surgery.
^ What he said.
guitarmanK1982

So, tone is 'in the hands'?

That's not a definition. Thats your thoughts on what constitutes tone, rather than on what it actually is.

I think you're unwilling to say that tone, in the sense of what you mean, is 'sound created' - unwilling to admit this because this means that things such as amp etc affect 'tone', and go against your ideas of what 'tone' is.

I'm trying to help you.

Simple question - what is tone?

The problem is probably that you have used the word without thinking about what it actually means. This would also explain the avoidance of answering the question.
notavirtuoso

Tone, to me, when referenced in these "where does tone come from" discussions is a word used to substitute voice. All musicians have their own voice on their given instrument, even when compared to a musician of similar abilities using the same equipment.

Example:

Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and Steve Vai come over to my house to play my gear. I give them some sheet music that they are to play faithfully as written. They are to use my guitar, effects and amp and are not allowed to change any settings or even turn a volume or tone knob. I leave the room and each records the piece. I return and listen. I'd be willing to wager $100 I can tell you who played what and I imagine most here could too.
guitarmanK1982

notavirtuoso wrote:Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and Steve Vai come over to my house to play my gear. I give them some sheet music that they are to play faithfully as written. They are to use my guitar, effects and amp and are not allowed to change any settings or even turn a volume or tone knob. I leave the room and each records the piece. I return and listen. I'd be willing to wager $100 I can tell you who played what and I imagine most here could too.
Surely that's interpretation, rather than tone?!

You'd probably be able to tell the difference due to the phrasing, the dynamics etc etc

But I still don't see the relevance to 'tone'.

I mentioned this idea earlier in the thread, since I thought this is what some people meant.
RAI

And by that same example, if you took all those guys, and had them just strike a single note (without any special "tricks"), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. "Tone" is in the phrasing and approach to the notes to be played.