Damage Control and Bumble Foot

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Splish

Hey everyone

two things

1) Has anybody got a tab for the crazy sweep Mr. Petrucci does at 1:56 in Damage Control? It's not on any of the tabs i downloaded.

and

2) And has anybody gt a tab for the Bumble Foot song "Rockstar for a day?" I can't seem to find one =/

Thanks,
Splish
Bakerman

DC arpeggio:

Code: Select all

|------15h19t24p19p15----------------
|---17----------------17-------------
|16----------------------16----------
|---------------------------17-------
|------------------------------19----
|---------------------------------15-
P.S. The Suspended Animation book (transcribed by Ryan Maziarz & me) will be available soon at John's site--please consider buying it!
guitar_man_6

I don't think that that many tabs for Normal are available yet. I've tabbed parts of Color of Justice and Overloaded, but I haven't completed them, and so don't intend to put them into Power Tab format.

You could ask Ron Thal; he's often helpful.
McTastyfrets

Bakerman wrote:DC arpeggio:

Code: Select all

|------15h19t24p19p15----------------
|---17----------------17-------------
|16----------------------16----------
|---------------------------17-------
|------------------------------19----
|---------------------------------15-
P.S. The Suspended Animation book (transcribed by Ryan Maziarz & me) will be available soon at John's site--please consider buying it!
In the third bar of the melody at the end of beat one, there is a slide on the G string to the 6th fret where you immediately do a bend (1/2 step) and release. (going by Petrucci's recent GW lesson). What finger do you slide into that with? Also, at the beginning of bar 4, there is an F# on the low E, then a pull-off to E from F# on the D string, then a C# on teh A string...Howwould you finger that? Seems a bit uncomfortable...Is it best to fret the Low E string F# with the thumb? Thanks.
McTastyfrets

guitar_man_6 wrote:I don't think that that many tabs for Normal are available yet. I've tabbed parts of Color of Justice and Overloaded, but I haven't completed them, and so don't intend to put them into Power Tab format.

You could ask Ron Thal; he's often helpful.
Whoa, where can you ask Ron questions? I'd love to pick that guy's brain!
Balex the Shizzle

Check out his forum at http://bumbleforum.lesvilles.org/ , he's often hanging around there, I can't remember if he has a public email address either, but he could do, Mattias from Freak Kitchen does.

You could try tabbing it yourself, sit down and slow the song down by any means necessary then have a play, never know, you could get somewhere even if you suck like me :P

But yeah, check out the forum.
MarkRobinson

On that very forum there's a tab for the crazy little break in rockstar somewhere.....look in the swiss cheese section and you'll find it. The rest should be fairly easy to figure out.
Splish

I already had the crazy break for rockstar for a day, i just wanted to know about the kind of tapping when they just travel down the neck... Watch G3 in denver, at the end of Satch Boogie, Joe does it...

Splish
Bakerman

McTastyfrets wrote: In the third bar of the melody at the end of beat one, there is a slide on the G string to the 6th fret where you immediately do a bend (1/2 step) and release. (going by Petrucci's recent GW lesson). What finger do you slide into that with? Also, at the beginning of bar 4, there is an F# on the low E, then a pull-off to E from F# on the D string, then a C# on teh A string...Howwould you finger that? Seems a bit uncomfortable...Is it best to fret the Low E string F# with the thumb? Thanks.
2nd finger works well for the slide; John goes 1 3 1 3 on the F#, F#, E, C# sequence. You could also try 1 4 1 4, which I like because having the fingers a bit closer feels more relaxed. The thumb could be used but it's not necessary (I thought it was awkward, and you'll be prepared for similar licks starting on other strings if you get it down without thumb).
McTastyfrets

Bakerman wrote:
McTastyfrets wrote: In the third bar of the melody at the end of beat one, there is a slide on the G string to the 6th fret where you immediately do a bend (1/2 step) and release. (going by Petrucci's recent GW lesson). What finger do you slide into that with? Also, at the beginning of bar 4, there is an F# on the low E, then a pull-off to E from F# on the D string, then a C# on teh A string...Howwould you finger that? Seems a bit uncomfortable...Is it best to fret the Low E string F# with the thumb? Thanks.
2nd finger works well for the slide; John goes 1 3 1 3 on the F#, F#, E, C# sequence. You could also try 1 4 1 4, which I like because having the fingers a bit closer feels more relaxed. The thumb could be used but it's not necessary (I thought it was awkward, and you'll be prepared for similar licks starting on other strings if you get it down without thumb).
Hey thanks a lot J! yeah, that's the way I've been doing it....I noticed he changes up the fingering a bit when he does the melody part in the higher register...Do you have any favourite exercises from Petrucci's Rock Discipline or Wild Stringdom that helped you? Or any favourites that helped you to play in Vai's style (tapping, sweeps etc etc..)? I'm into the string skipping and inside/outside picking exercises from Rock Discipline at the moment...Proving to be quite useful when practiced with a metronome... Thanks again.
Splish

Rather than posting another topic, i figured i'd just continue this one...

Has anyone got the tab for the sweeps starting at 4:26 in "Tunnel Vision" Suprisingly enough i haven't found any tabs of it lol

Splish
guitar_man_6

<snip: Please respect his privacy and don't put anyones Email address online without the owners approval>

I asked him for the Fantasie Impromptu backing track, and he sent it to me the next day.
Splish

guitar_man_6 wrote:
I asked him for the Fantasie Impromptu backing track, and he sent it to me the next day.
I can't imagine Mr. Thal wants his email address posting across various forums :roll:

Splish