songs using arpeggios

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
another virtuoso

hi, i need to know some songs that use major arpeggios and some songs that use minor arpeggios. Preferabley really easy songs that a beginner could handle (that takes the obvious choice away, doesn't it? (malmsteen)).
Balex the Shizzle

sweep picked arppegios? picked arppegios? slow? fast?

You get the picture :wink: Be more specific and maybe we could help.

I'd take a stab in the dark at sweep picked stuff, and i dont really know... I'd say try finding some jason becker and slowing it down, significantly. could still sound tasty :)
dweezil 9

Yeah man, Jason Becker. Allthough It's fucking difficult at first, really give it a long go. You'll get it down.

Perpetual burn could be cool. The intro, strange stretch but not overly difficult to get slow once you get it down.

But if you'd like normal major shapes try this.

e-10p7------------------------------7------
b------- 8-------------------------8--------
g----------7--------------------7-----------
d------------9---------------9--------------
a--------------10--7 h 10------------------
u--u----u-u-u--u--d--------d--d--d---d---

That's the major shape for arpeggios, that one's a G. A lot Becker would do

e 10 p 7 7 repeat
b 8 8
g 7
u u u d d d

Do the down stroke on the 7 on the g string. Obviously u = up and d equals down. Sorry this is fairly basic information though, hopefully someone can give you much better advice, perhaps correct me if I'm wrong in which order you do the picking.
arpeggio_owen

Yea jason beckers a good option, but yngwie is actually good for begginners 'cause hes sweeping passages arnt the six-stringers of doom jason and more modern shredders use. Try the sweeping passages from triology suite, arpeggios from hell is good for chops. You could also sweep out like a chord progression you know by using the arpeggios.
slash89

I learned to sweep pick really fast to Yngwie's Blitzkrieg. The arpeggio part is awsome and very fast, but the fingerings are also very logical.

I would of course not recomend songs like Arpeggios From Hell, or the intro to Fire And Ice (the hardest Yngwie sweeping song ever!).

Steve Vai sweeps occationally too. Not so often on the records, but I've seen him do it many times live.

He sweeps in K'm-Pee-Du-Wee in the lick that starts at 00:57 :wink:

But if you can shred I would recomend Malmsteen's Far Beyond The Sun. It has small but hopefully not lethal doses of sweep picking. It helped my guitar playing a lot!

Give it a go dude :)

Peace,
Kristian
another virtuoso

Balex the Shizzle wrote:sweep picked arppegios? picked arppegios? slow? fast?

You get the picture :wink: Be more specific and maybe we could help.

I'd take a stab in the dark at sweep picked stuff, and i dont really know... I'd say try finding some jason becker and slowing it down, significantly. could still sound tasty :)
I'm teaching a 17 year old blonde girl who is about 10 pounds overweight in my opinion how to play guitar. She's a big AC/DC fan. She has an AC/DC purse and AC/DC pin and everything. We've gone over usual suspects such as chords and pentatonic and minor and major scales, and this, and that, and are now dipping into some arpeggios. We've gone over what makes up major and minor arpeggios and all that. Now I wanted to give her some songs that are common and everyone knows such as Stairway To Heaven that use these arpeggios so she has some real practice with her new found knowledge. I then began thinking to myself how i could find several songs that use these simple arpeggios in a simple way - simple enough for a beginner guitarist to play. Not a Jason Becker or Yngwie Malmsteen song that was using constant sweep picking of 32nd notes. So then i figured someone who roams the Vai boards would happen to know a few songs that feature this which i am looking for and proceeded to display the question to the world.

Specific enough? :wink:
Vegas_Blues

lol....you said simple and how many peeps said Jason Becker?

How about Canon in D?
Pi2plank

how 'bout "Every breath you take" by the Police...( its simple & wont really use the six strings, just 4 strings, not much really of an arpeggio but its a good stretching exercise )
Eutow

Pi2plank wrote:how 'bout "Every breath you take" by the Police...( its simple & wont really use the six strings, just 4 strings, not much really of an arpeggio but its a good stretching exercise )
oh god, that song is amazing!!!

those stretches are good practice.
ernzzz

hmmm....

tears in the rain - satch
tears in heaven - clapton
is there anybody out there - pink floyd
babe i'm gonna leave you - zeppelin
nothing else matters - metallica
romance d'amour - anonymous

i have actually taught "tears in the rain" and most of "nothing else matters" to a 18yo blonde chick (casually 8) ), and she mastered it in 3 months! she didnt knew much more than the typical 3 chords, but i taught her all the movements i made on my fingers, and hell she even adds notes i never thought of!
slash89

REM - Everybody Hurts
slash89

Bob Dylan - House Of The Rising Sun

Sweet arpeggiated chords :)
precario

I thought that one was by The Animals, or did they just do a version of it ?
slash89

precario wrote:I thought that one was by The Animals, or did they just do a version of it ?
Quote form Wikipedia.org:

Like many classic folk ballads, the authorship of "The House of the Rising Sun", sometimes called "Rising Sun Blues", is dubious. Folklorist Alan Lomax, author of the seminal 1941 songbook Our Singing Country, wrote that the melody was taken from a traditional English ballad and the lyrics written by a pair of Kentuckians named Georgia Turner and Bert Martin. Other scholars have proposed different explanations, although Lomax's is generally considered most plausible. It has been suggested that the phrase "Rising Sun" may have been an old euphemism for a brothel, but it is not known whether or not the house described in the lyrics is an actual or fictitious place.
precario

Haha, thanx man, wikipedia rules.