Satriani's style all that Flash?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
the_grod

I would just like to express my taste of music, in that I wouldn't hold Satch in such high regard only from what I've seen. Sure he can shred...

but musically in his phrasing and improvising...does he convince you? do you really reckon this guy deserves the praise he gets???
PifleChien

"Yes". Especially when he plays it sober, in the Red Satriani album way. Sometimes he has it all: gusto, drive, touch and tone.

His roots are definitely more rooted in the blues rock, and he seems more introverted in his playing style, at least to me and that's why I like when he shows restraint, suits him better and gives his more impressive licks more strength. That's also why he's very different from Vai.

As for the praise, besides being a shredding pioneer, the man has covered much ground and even if I don't always follow him musically, that deserves respect. That and finally shaving his head :lol:

[EDIT] I must add that I hadn't listened to him in ages and I just recently went back to him. So this is an "updated" point of view, not some wide-eyed 15 yo's enthusiasm like when I first heard him!
Last edited by PifleChien on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Balex the Shizzle

You can't have heard much of Satrianis stuff I'm guessing, he holds back way more than Vai, his self entitled album shows beautiful phrasing, and in most of his songs throughout he has some wonderful slow phrases.

Check out some of the stuff like Starry Night, and Love Thing - in those you'll see some of his most tasteful playing.

And also, check out Big Bad Moon - you can't help but love the extreme cheesiness of that song!
:lol:
slash89

Balex the Shizzle wrote:You can't have heard much of Satrianis stuff I'm guessing, he holds back way more than Vai, his self entitled album shows beautiful phrasing, and in most of his songs throughout he has some wonderful slow phrases.

Check out some of the stuff like Starry Night, and Love Thing - in those you'll see some of his most tasteful playing.

And also, check out Big Bad Moon - you can't help but love the extreme cheesiness of that song!
:lol:
I know! Satriani is considered by many to be the greatest guitar player alive! He is absolutely amazing, and his playing is "Not Of This Earth" :) Steve and Joe are not the same type of composers. They have different styles and so on.

Have you ever heard about Summer Song, Cryin', Always With Me Always With You, Surfing With The Alien, The Extremist, Searching, The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing, The Phone Call, Super Colossal, Crowd Chant? These are some of the best songs ever written. He deserves a lot more credit than he gets. 8)
burnt out

I think if an artists makes music that is worth listening to then you should listen to it and if more people like it then they should listen to it too and if they are all buying the music then the artist makes a living at it whilst making non-sucky music then that's a cool mofo and he deserves to make his living as an artist cause he's a real artist. - It's not about how underground or hard they allegedly are,it's not about how popular and famous they are or how much money they make,it's not about how fast or slow the fucking guitarist plays,it's not about wearing HALLOWEEN MAKEUP and jacking off to Satan,it's not about Justin Tumberlake humping Janet Jackson's leg,it's not about how young or how old or how cute the artist is,or how they look in their latest video,it's not about spring break,beach grind or the latest dorky dance moves!!!!!

It's about music.
the_grod

Easy Soldier!!!

this post is about the fame of Satriani, mate if you wana change topic...start another post mate...
cheers

tell you something else....Satriani is a retard....who the fuck in the world names their song after a fukn mystical potato head??? Seriously what the fuk people hes just a fuking retard

it is complete.
in aragorns words..."it has been remade"
Mike7771

the_grod wrote:I would just like to express my taste of music, in that I wouldn't hold Satch in such high regard only from what I've seen. Sure he can shred...

but musically in his phrasing and improvising...does he convince you? do you really reckon this guy deserves the praise he gets???
Yes he does.
Moderator7VWH

the_grod wrote:Easy Soldier!!!

this post is about the fame of Satriani, mate if you wana change topic...start another post mate...
cheers

tell you something else....Satriani is a retard....who the fuck in the world names their song after a fukn mystical potato head??? Seriously what the fuk people hes just a fuking retard

it is complete.
in aragorns words..."it has been remade"
Read the rules (the ones you AGREED upon when signing up) before posting again. I suggest you start with the parts dealing with personal attacks and flamebaiting.

One more violation and suspensions will be awarded.

Secondly, kindly leave the moderating to us.

Moderator7VWH
the_grod

Suspension will be awarded??? i will be AWARDED with a suspension? is that how you guys think up there in the moderators...wow seriously fellas...lol omg seriously thats the best

I will be awarded with a suspension...classic.