Playing guitar with a bow

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
endor

ive seen this done with jimmy page, could somone tell what kind of bow to use, some history, ect
bcgvh

I don't think it matters, it's the same concept as a violin.
guyver_dio

lol wat the hell is wrong with you lol, just rub ya fucking violin bow up against ya guitar lol.

oh make sure it's on the string side of your guitar too, see that mistake happen many a time lol.
acoates

lolololololol

Shut up, it was a good question, not everyone will know whether it would be a special kind of bow.
TheSquareRootOfElvis

I'd imagine rubbing it against steel guitar strings is not good for a violin bow, so get a cheap one.

Personally, I don't think its a good idea anyway, it sounds god-awful. If you really want to play guitar with a bow, buy a nice pink ribbon and tie it around you headstock.
Guitar_freaak

You know this exact thought struck me just the other day , i was wondering if you could play a guitar like a violin , so i guess you can . :o
1118916GB

what makes jimmy page such a musician playin with a bow. I'm suprised no one else thought of the concept.
barhouston

Here's something called the Botar, made by DRAMM. I know it doesn't help you specifically, but it's kinda cool, I think.

It can't be strumed as usual because the strings (and the nut, and the fretboard, and damn near everything else) are all on an extreme radius so that bowing individual strings is possible.

http://www.dramm.de/botare.htm

I'd suggest an eBow, or better yet, a sustainer-driver. If you want the bow as a crowd-pleaser, though, tSRoElvis is right about getting a cheap one; I've seen Jimmy Page do it (on video) as I'm sure you have, and that bow is frickin' shredded up!
hewhoshreds

Has anyone got any clips of an Ebow they could post up here?
williebee

I do Dazed & Confused with the band I'm in and use a bow for that section. Any old bow works just rosin it up. (kind of cruds up your strings a bit sooner than normal though) You have to work the bow at an angle and will only be able to really use your low E, High E, High E & B together (double stop type things) because the bridge isn't arched enough to get at any other strings. Bar chords will work too. You really have to work the angle of the bow and hand position with the bow to get it to work and be comfortable. It takes some time to get use to it, just experiment with it. Of course check out some Zep DVDs. You can grab some tecniques from Jimmy Page. (I saw them in '73 & '75 at The Garden in NYC.)
precario

I can only think in one problem: the violin neck isn't like the guitar. Violin's isn't straight like guitar's, exactly not to sound the other strings while you are playing, it becomes much easier. It's like this:

acoates

hewhoshreds wrote:Has anyone got any clips of an Ebow they could post up here?
I would but I'm really busy. If no one has done it by Thursday I will do it
RAI

xifr

precario wrote:I can only think in one problem: the violin neck isn't like the guitar. Violin's isn't straight like guitar's, exactly not to sound the other strings while you are playing, it becomes much easier. It's like this:
Yup, you needa mess with your action bigtime.

A friend's friend of mine tried it, and it sounded awful. You really need to setup your guitar for it, you can't just use it on a normal guitar.
bcgvh

Jimmy Page only used it for sound effects anyways.....