Power Tab Vs Guitar Pro

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

Which do you prefer?

Guitar Pro
13%
Guitar Pro
13%
Guitar Pro
13%
Guitar Pro
13%
Power Tab
12%
Power Tab
12%
Power Tab
12%
Power Tab
12%

Total votes: 140
Cleggy

Which is better and why do you think so?
Personally I say Guitar Pro, Power Tabs interface is too difficult to use and has a lack of instruments. It takes a while to grasp whereas Guitar Pro can be used by even an idiot.
1118916GB

power tab is definitely more accurate than Guitar pro. only the best tabs are at powertab
guyver_dio

This poll is useless now because Guitar Pro 5 can import Power Tab files. GG Guitar Pro 5 for the win.
b2

Power Tab is free and does 99% of what I need.
di
Newcomer

b2 wrote:Power Tab is free and does 99% of what I need.
Have you all try this link before?
http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15900

Or you can directly choose the band in the main.
http://cdechaun.club.fr/parts/main_part.htm

Hope it helps all...

Di
Christophar

Sure guitar pro sounds better but still sounds nothing like real stuff and power tab seem to have a better comunity correct me if im wrong.
xxxYNGWIExxx

guitar pro all the way
laficojr

I vote for Powertabs 'cause most of TABS are exactly like some official TAB books. So, They're pretty much correct
xifr

Power Tab:
Free
Easy to Use

Guitarpro:
Better sounding midis
Better multitracking (ie. tabs viewed on seperate tracks rather than all at once which can be a bit harder to navigate)
Fretboard and Piano diagram things.

Overall Guitarpro is more powerful, but powertab is easier to use, and it's free.
Guitar_freaak

I'll give my two cents about the two programs .

Power tab -

It was the first tabbing program i used , and due to its simplicity and intuitive layout i was able to improve my tabbing skills to a good level . Its a good program for players that just want to learn a song . It has its limitations , but for many years due to its easiness on the eye , and some extra things that Gpro didn't have , it was the guitar players choice of tab programs . BUT , its not without its problems , the current version is still riddled with errors , most if not all which have been identified by the users yet nothing has been done about it . You get a good program , but not the support as its freeware .

Guitar Pro -

I am choosing to use the latest instalment in the Gpro series , Guitar Pro 5 . For starter , its not freeware , so however you attain it , you have some peace of mind that bugs will be kept reasonably under wraps . As its still in its early stages there are a few errors inherent in the program . For starters , when played back , the default drums from the RSE (realistic sound engine) are way too quiet and underpowered . Fortunately , dedicated members of MSB.com have gone to the trouble of creating custom preset.ini files which have ironed out the drum problem , AND they have also added a few more guitar settings or sounds , like metal crunch(a variation of distortion guitar and overdriven guitar RSE setting) which is definately superior sounding , and alot heavier than the default ones . Plus , the devs have included more flexibility in effects such as wha wha , which i am glad to say has been employed brilliantly and sounds like a genuine wha-whaa pedal .

One feature which i wa a bit dissapointed that they left out was the speed trainer which was present in GP4 . Its was a very good tool for aspiring guitarists who want to attain the speed without the use of a metronome .

I think for tabbers atleast , this program offers alot more , and enables them to capture the song they've decided to tab in greater detail than ever before . And as a tabber myself i am very pleased to use GP5 to tab with , as when i hear the song played back almost exactly as it was played by the artist , it gives you some peace of mind that the particular song will be kept alive for guitarists everywhere through that tab .

So , i have come to the conclusion that for tabbers , GP5 stands alone as a superior program for tabbing , but for guitarists , depending on their needs , GP5 or Powertab are both adequate programs to suit the needs of the player . The guitarist will make their own choice depending on their level of playing and requirements for playing or practicing .
Cleggy

Guitar_freaak wrote:One feature which i wa a bit dissapointed that they left out was the speed trainer which was present in GP4 . Its was a very good tool for aspiring guitarists who want to attain the speed without the use of a metronome .
Yeah its still there, its under Loop, where you have the option of speed trainer or simple loop.
Guitar_freaak

Cleggy2005 wrote:
Guitar_freaak wrote:One feature which i wa a bit dissapointed that they left out was the speed trainer which was present in GP4 . Its was a very good tool for aspiring guitarists who want to attain the speed without the use of a metronome .
Yeah its still there, its under Loop, where you have the option of speed trainer or simple loop.
Woohoo , its still there , lol they just rearranged it . Crisis overted .
lydian2000

this has been already discussed but to anyone out there who wants to tab that is compose your own songs the Gp5 interface is so much better(useful,visual,many one-click-very-useful tools which can make u tab a whole song VERY quickly)

im sure the powertab community is probably larger but if u can find a good tab for each(try any Vai for example) and try to play and learn it using both programs...see for yourself, to me (and i will drop the politically correct"both present interests for different tastes/needs kinda stuff :lol: )GP5 cannot be seriously compared.(try to mute/solo tracks in powertab)

now the debate over which is sounding better is IMO irrelevant because the MIDI sound is designed to be used as an interface, if u want good "sounds like the real thing"sounds then export ur tab into MIDI and send it to good VST instruments.

its like mr bakerman the excellent tabber says he prefers powertab because he can export it into nice looking pdf documents....yes indeed but the whole point of GP5 is precisely that when u work on learning a song is that u CAN actually HEAR the song, pause it, slow it down,loop a part, isolate/mute a track....! apart from face to face real teacher, ive never seen any better tool to learn a song(try to buy 30 000 instructional DVDs .then) :wink:
shanekimble14

powertabs is easier, guitar pro sounds better
shanekimble14

another thing about guitar pro, i got free demo version, since my computers screwed up, it let me keep it forever for free