Perfect pitch software

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
arpeggio_owen

Ok ok i did make a post about the expensive shred course scam but i am interested in the pitch perfect 8 cd series http://www.perfectpitch.com/ theres the link. I was wondering if this is a big scam and has anyone else purchased this?
dweezil 9

Perfect pitch is something you are born with, you cannot learn it. But it is possible to get very near it. After being exposed to musicfor a while you will learn relative pitch, which most musicians will have, unless ofcourse you are tone deaf.

Anyway, I'm taking a guess here and assuming this program is a waste of money. You'll do better to concentrate on music yourself, for example play a note on the piano, perhaps a C, then play the 5th, a G and eep doing that to try and remember that interval of a perfect 5th, shit like that.

It's something you will learn over time though, how fast depends on how much you work for it.

Can you hear things played on a radio or cd and then put it onto a guitar without tab? Can you read music?
Rollo

I got this course and it explains everything about perfect pitch and how to get it. It is very expensive but it is well worth it.
TheSquareRootOfElvis

Just remember that perfect pitch is virtually useless as far as being a good musician is concerned. Its not much more than a cute party trick. There are actually people who have perfect pitch but cannot recognise a melody if you change its key (trust me, I've read the research on this). What is important is good RELATIVE pitch. In fact, relative pitch is the more advanced or "evolved" skill.

The evidence suggests that we are all born with perfect pitch ( as are many animals, including birds ) but we lose it through lack of use in our formative years. Relative pitch, on the other hand, must be learned through observation and experience and requires a greater level of intelligence. Of course, relearning perfect pitch once its lost is very difficult, suggesting that perfect pitch aquired by an adult is qualitatively different to that of the infant - a conscious rather than subconscious pitch memory.

Anyway, just be aware that any time you spend trying to acquire perfect pitch is time spent practicing a party trick to impress your friends and not time spent becoming a better musician. Don't waste your time, you'll move towards some level of "perfect pitch" naturally anyway if you play alot and listen carefully, e.g. I can sing a fairly accurate B by recalling the first notes of "Satisfaction" by the stones. I never sat down to "learn B", it just happnened.
goodwill559

You might want to go to http://www.aruffo.com/eartraining/ to read up on absolute and relative pitch and then go to http://www.aruffo.com/eartraining/software.htm and download a demo of ear training software.

Read through the articles about hearing and ear training and try out the software.
Your results are going to be a reflection of your time, commitment, and effort .

Remember that marketing has very little to do with reality.
mesavox

Perfect pitch cannot be learned no matter what any ear training program disquised as a perfect pitch trainer tells you.

You need to learn how to identify intervals by hearing them. You can use little hints... i.e. The first two notes of the Star Wars theme propper is a perfect 5th interval or The Simpsons first two notes is a tritone(augmented 4th/diminished 5th), or So Long Farewell from The Sound Of Music is a minor third.... etc.

You need to be able to identify chord qualities and inversions by ear. You need to be able to reproduces these with your voice (sight singing) in the various aspects of theory (i.e. you need to be able to sight sing minor keys, modes, etc. based on relating what you see on the page to that intangible ear in your brain.)

You do not need to be able to know if an A is a half a cent off of 440 when you hear a tone played in no context to anything. You don't need to be able to sing a C with no reference because as long as you stay relatively on pitch by yourself. You'll get your C when you are in an ensemble situation or a performing situation. No acapella group sings without some sort of tuning note at various points in a show.

It's just like singing in choir. A movement ends and you know the starting note of the next movement because you can see that it's a major third higher than the note you just sang or whatever.

Perfect pitch is often a problem for peopel that have it. It hinders them from enjoying what is otherwise enjoyable to 99% of anyone else in the world.

I would not spend money on something that teaches me perfect pitch unless I just understood that it was a superior product in what it really teaches... ear training. I'm a music major so I don't see myself buying any of them anyway, but don't let anyone fool you into thinking you can achieve perfect pitch. You really don't want it anyway.
bubble

mesavox wrote:Perfect pitch cannot be learned no matter what any ear training program disquised as a perfect pitch trainer tells you.

Perfect pitch is often a problem for peopel that have it. It hinders them from enjoying what is otherwise enjoyable to 99% of anyone else in the world.
two uninformed comments in one response.... not bad.

firstly Perfect pitch can be learned as it is simply a pitch recognition excercise and is another advanced technique of ear training (I have perfect pitch which has been developed over about 3years, just through countless hours of ear training etc)

The second comment for me personally is just totally wrong....... In actual fact music that is slightly out of pitch isn't that much of a problem, it's more of day to day noises like cars going by, that draw my attention as the pitch is often so minutley out that it's just a bit annoying (or people dropping glasses is really annoying sometimes)

You seem to be indicating that PP has no function or is just a hinderence..... is this because you don't have it ?

I'm deffinately not saying that PP is a substitue for any oher ear trainnig skills, but to say it's not learnable or not useful is just a load of bollocks...!!
It's best tool (non mechanical) I have in my arsenal for transcribing songs... hands up people who can hear the note perfectly but still need the guitar to tell them what note it is! (having said that I still may use the axe to get the right feel of where it is played)

The Squarerootofelvis is much closer to the mark in that perfet pitch does not neccessarily mean people can play back a melody straight away.

Equally for thore of us mere mortals born without perfect pitch, you will find that you don't suddenly lose your relative pitch as you develop perfect pitch.... but if you didn't have relative pitch in the first place then that's prob the worst way round.

Given the choice of the two I would have relative pitch everytime, but I wouldn't go slagging of perfect pitch either. Esp those who don't have it (those who do, slag away) :D
Christophar

When I was a little boy.
alienillusions
Banned

dweezil 9 wrote:Perfect pitch is something you are born with, you cannot learn it. ?
Realize that this is just a theory. The human mind is a very powerful thing...
arpeggio_owen

Yes i found it very hard to belive it is a skill you are born with. I would say that it is just a hard skill to learn, and also about hearing "off" notes thats not really PP cause i dont have PP(or not to my knowledge) but violins drive me crazy because when i listen to kids at my school play i can hear that every 2nd note is a few cents off but i think that must be a fairly common thing among people
mesavox

bubble wrote:
I could say you are the uninformed one...
bubble wrote:
firstly Perfect pitch can be learned as it is simply a pitch recognition excercise and is another advanced technique of ear training (I have perfect pitch which has been developed over about 3years, just through countless hours of ear training etc)
That is NOT perfect pitch. Perfect pitch is not just recognizing notes. It's perfect recognition of notes, including tuning. A LOT of people who have perfect pitch do not play music at all. It is NOT learned. Relative pitch is learned.
bubble wrote: The second comment for me personally is just totally wrong....... In actual fact music that is slightly out of pitch isn't that much of a problem, it's more of day to day noises like cars going by, that draw my attention as the pitch is often so minutley out that it's just a bit annoying (or people dropping glasses is really annoying sometimes)

You seem to be indicating that PP has no function or is just a hinderence..... is this because you don't have it ?

First off, to you it is totally wrong. To many people who have it, it's totally right. Ask Jordan Rudess if having perfect pitch is always a wonderful thing. He has it. He was born with it. He see's no need for it in terms of being able to be a great musician as the only parts he really uses of it are the learned aspects of relative pitch that comes very easy when you have perfect pitch.
bubble wrote: I'm deffinately not saying that PP is a substitue for any oher ear trainnig skills, but to say it's not learnable or not useful is just a load of bollocks...!!
It's not useful in terms of being something you'd pay to get when such is a promise that can't be delivered. It is useful in terms of getting those products with the understanding that it is just ear training excersises and not perfect pitch training excercises.
bubble wrote: It's best tool (non mechanical) I have in my arsenal for transcribing songs... hands up people who can hear the note perfectly but still need the guitar to tell them what note it is! (having said that I still may use the axe to get the right feel of where it is played)
I can transcribe by ear too. I have no means to slow songs down that I know of. I don't have one of those Digitech cd players, nor any software that I know of. I suppose my digital recorder can but I've never tried it. I am gifted with a very good ear in terms of relative pitch. I can get darned close to a tone if asked to sing it without reference. I do not have perfect pitch.

bubble wrote: The Squarerootofelvis is much closer to the mark in that perfet pitch does not neccessarily mean people can play back a melody straight away.
melody is not the crux of perfect pitch. There is a lot of other neural things taking place when recognizing, and reproducing melody that are independent of perfect pitch.

bubble wrote: Equally for thore of us mere mortals born without perfect pitch, you will find that you don't suddenly lose your relative pitch as you develop perfect pitch.... but if you didn't have relative pitch in the first place then that's prob the worst way round.
A lot of people with perfect pitch find that using relative pitch (recognizing a note by a different given note) to be a tangled up mess. An F is an f. It doesn't matter how it's related to a C. I just hear an f. So basically, of course you are right, but for perfect pitch people, relative pitch still has to be learned in terms of recognizing the distance of an interval to be usable in music creation or playback.

bubble wrote: Given the choice of the two I would have relative pitch everytime, but I wouldn't go slagging of perfect pitch either. Esp those who don't have it (those who do, slag away) :D
I never slagged perfect pitch. I just said that it often causes difficulty for those who have it, and that I wouldn't waste my money trying to develop somthing that isn't anywhere near as important as improving my relative pitch and interval recognition. Especially, when most of those methods are just hyping up beyond what they really are... and a lot of them are genuinly excellent at what they really are. They are just not dealing scientifically with the terms they use.

Uninformed? Maybe you should read this page.... http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/pppress.html

A lot of people have done a lot of studies on it beyond what your ear training excercises say is wrong to you.
The Man With 1 Eye

arpeggio_owen wrote:Ok ok i did make a post about the expensive shred course scam but i am interested in the pitch perfect 8 cd series http://www.perfectpitch.com/ theres the link. I was wondering if this is a big scam and has anyone else purchased this?
The course is not a scam. I bought it almost 15 years ago when it was only available on cassette and later paid for the upgrade to CD. You have to work extremely consistently at it. If you do, you will develop perfect pitch. It is not a magic switch that gets turned on, rather a very gradual process.

It is a very organic natural ability. It's not like becoming a human strobe tuner where you know how many cents a tone is off from A440 or whatever standard. It's not that mechanical. You'll recognize A just because it sounds like A. If the A is a little sharp, you'll know because it starts to have a little Bb characteristic mixed in. The sharper the A is, the more it sounds like Bb until it is actually more Bb than A. It's subtle.

The course has a full money back guarantee and has been around for like twenty years. My experience with the course was more than satisfying.

Peace
bubble

mesavox wrote:
bubble wrote:
I could say you are the uninformed one...
bubble wrote:
That is NOT perfect pitch. Perfect pitch is not just recognizing notes. It's perfect recognition of notes, including tuning. A LOT of people who have perfect pitch do not play music at all. It is NOT learned. Relative pitch is learned.
bubble wrote: The second comment for me personally is just totally wrong....... In actual fact music that is slightly out of pitch isn't that much of a problem, it's more of day to day noises like cars going by, that draw my attention as the pitch is often so minutley out that it's just a bit annoying (or people dropping glasses is really annoying sometimes)

First off, to you it is totally wrong. To many people who have it, it's totally right. Ask Jordan Rudess if having perfect pitch is always a wonderful thing. He has it. He was born with it. He see's no need for it in terms of being able to be a great musician as the only parts he really uses of it are the learned aspects of relative pitch that comes very easy when you have perfect pitch.
It's not useful in terms of being something you'd pay to get when such is a promise that can't be delivered. It is useful in terms of getting those products with the understanding that it is just ear training excersises and not perfect pitch training excercises.
I can transcribe by ear too. I have no means to slow songs down that I know of. I don't have one of those Digitech cd players, nor any software that I know of. I suppose my digital recorder can but I've never tried it. I am gifted with a very good ear in terms of relative pitch. I can get darned close to a tone if asked to sing it without reference. I do not have perfect pitch.

melody is not the crux of perfect pitch. There is a lot of other neural things taking place when recognizing, and reproducing melody that are independent of perfect pitch.

A lot of people with perfect pitch find that using relative pitch (recognizing a note by a different given note) to be a tangled up mess. An F is an f. It doesn't matter how it's related to a C. I just hear an f. So basically, of course you are right, but for perfect pitch people, relative pitch still has to be learned in terms of recognizing the distance of an interval to be usable in music creation or playback.

I never slagged perfect pitch. I just said that it often causes difficulty for those who have it, and that I wouldn't waste my money trying to develop somthing that isn't anywhere near as important as improving my relative pitch and interval recognition. Especially, when most of those methods are just hyping up beyond what they really are... and a lot of them are genuinly excellent at what they really are. They are just not dealing scientifically with the terms they use.

Uninformed? Maybe you should read this page.... http://perfectpitch.ucsf.edu/pppress.html

A lot of people have done a lot of studies on it beyond what your ear training excercises say is wrong to you.
mmmmm..... I do actually agree I made some errors in my post (prob as didn't expect it to be analysed to the hilt)

I could respond with an equally indepth respone justifiying some of my statements and errors in you responce but honestly don't really feel the value in it.

From my point of view it makes no difference.... I can identify every pitch and note I hear within a gnats cock of the hrtz it is.....as well as having relative pitch too....

Out of interest how long did you take destroying my "general" comments above... think of all the practice you could have done! :D
TheCryingMachine

dweezil 9 wrote:Perfect pitch is something you are born with, you cannot learn it.

Absolutely...100% WRONG

bought this program about 2 years ago...and 6 months ago "graduated" with established perfect pitch.

i reccomend this program to anyone skeptical or just interested in expanding there ear
1118916GB

I bet you guys with perfect pitch can not tell 5 cents off 440 Hz.