Who of you guys can play Building The Church?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

Juelz wrote:I didn't see if anybody posted an answer here yet. I didn't read all of the replies. So with that said~

Watch a video of it being played here.
http://youtube.com/w/Darrell-Plays-Stev ... teve%20vai

But, keep in mind. He dose not play the intro correctly. In this movie he used only four fingers. His first two fingers on both hands.

Like this:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------12--------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------12-------------------------------------------------------|
|---13--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------10-------------------------------------------------------------|

Each of those notes played with taping. Dont use pick.
Table:
Red = Right hand. Middle finger - tap w/ no picking
Blue = Left hand. Middle finger - tap w/ no picking
Orange = Right hand. Index finger - tap w/ no picking
Green = Left hand. Index finger - tap w/ no picking

Do it like that fast, with lots of gain and you got what the guy dose in the video.

But who cares about that. You want to play the real way. Which is done with 5 fingers.

which goes like this:
(Low E string. Thickest one)
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a|-----------------------------------12------------------------------------|
d|---------------------------10--------------------------------------------|
g|------------------12-----------------------------------------------------|
b|---13--------------------------------------------------------------------|
e|-----------10------------------------------------------------------------|
(high E string - Smallest one)

Red = Right Hand. Third Finger. 13th Fret. B string.
Blue = Left Hand. Second Finger. 10th Fret. High E string.
Orange = Right Hand. Second Finger. 12th Fret. G string.
Green = Left Hand. First Finger. 10th Fret. D string.
Purple = Right Hand. First Finger. 12th Fret. A string.

Notice when I drew this tab I did it opposite to how they would normaly be written. This one is as if you are looking in a mirror. So picture it as if the head-stock of the guitar is on the far right end of the tablature. >>>

And you are behind that diagram looking down at it like that.
You should be useing three fingers on your right hand (first finger, middle finger, and third finger) and two form your left. (First finger and middle finger)

I might attempt to draw a picture of how it should look in your hands.
If you want to just go through the whole song. A guy posted this transcription of the song in another thread.

This was made by Bakerman of the forum. I take no credit for it. I just found it in a thread he made.
http://www.jbakerman.com/trans/
There is a seemingly perfectly accurate transcription of the entire song.
Does this guy have a fan blowing through his hair?!
Guitar_freaak

Lol , even after that long winded discussion i still dont understand why he drew the tab upside down . :lol:

So anyway , ive managed to play the tapping solo at about 2/3 speed , but i did change a few thing that weren't quite right so that it sounds the same as the song .

Only problem is from doing all that tapping my ring finger on my right hand has a blister on it , so i have to go easy on it . But ive only been trying this for a day so hopefully the more i try the faster ill get at it .

When you get to the part down at the 3rd fret its quite tough to play without repositioning the guitar , though i do play it while sitting down , and have the guitar almost facing up , propped up on my leg .

I used a hankerchief folded over 3 times to dampen the strings , i tucked it nicely under the 1st and 2nd frets , and made it thick enough to dampen any open strings sounding but not so thick as to lift the strings up .
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

Guitar_freaak wrote:Lol , even after that long winded discussion i still dont understand why he drew the tab upside down . :lol:

So anyway , ive managed to play the tapping solo at about 2/3 speed , but i did change a few thing that weren't quite right so that it sounds the same as the song .

Only problem is from doing all that tapping my ring finger on my right hand has a blister on it , so i have to go easy on it . But ive only been trying this for a day so hopefully the more i try the faster ill get at it .

When you get to the part down at the 3rd fret its quite tough to play without repositioning the guitar , though i do play it while sitting down , and have the guitar almost facing up , propped up on my leg .

I used a hankerchief folded over 3 times to dampen the strings , i tucked it nicely under the 1st and 2nd frets , and made it thick enough to dampen any open strings sounding but not so thick as to lift the strings up .
Have you thought about trying those weird looking Michael Angelo string dampners? They look really cool but they're like $90
Guitar_freaak

vaiisagoodguitarplayer wrote:
Guitar_freaak wrote:Lol , even after that long winded discussion i still dont understand why he drew the tab upside down . :lol:

Have you thought about trying those weird looking Michael Angelo string dampners? They look really cool but they're like $90
Well like you said they're $90 , and while its a great idea my hanky does the same job , AND i can wipe my nose with it . :lol: (j/k)
Christophar

Guitar_freaak wrote:
vaiisagoodguitarplayer wrote:

Well like you said they're $90 , and while its a great idea my hanky does the same job , AND i can wipe my nose with it . :lol: (j/k)
Instead of using a dampaner you can do what vai himeself dose in the song and bar the fretboard with your left hand making it act as a sting dampner (plus it makes you look like you know what your doing).
PureVa|

Instead of using a dampaner you can do what vai himeself dose in the song and bar the fretboard with your left hand making it act as a sting dampner (plus it makes you look like you know what your doing).
Well that part is obvious but they're talking about using a dampaner of some sort to be able to play the studio version of the tapping solo. It seems virtually impossible to play because he taps as low as the 3 fret on the left hand, which is was too low to be able to mute the strings...
Guitar_freaak

PureVa| wrote:

Well that part is obvious but they're talking about using a dampaner of some sort to be able to play the studio version of the tapping solo. It seems virtually impossible to play because he taps as low as the 3 fret on the left hand, which is was too low to be able to mute the strings...
Exactly , ive tried playing down at the 3rd fret part without a dampener and it just rings all those strings
1118916GB

the tapping part is actually easy if you spend time and practice it.
Ginner_321

1118916GB wrote:icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song
My daddys bigger then your daddy.

Whats the point?

:wink:

Anywho, it took my a long time to learn the intro - as from going from double hand tapping songs like Midnight by Satch, to this, was a big step. It's a really cool technique and I like the way Steve 'Thinks outside the box'

Cheers,
knx777
Newcomer

This Stevie Vai really knows how to bruise my ego.

I'm still trying.......
shredlord

1118916GB wrote:icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song
oh yeah, of course, and his name was... uhm...

there is a certain reason why noone knows this guy but everyone knows steve vai.
it's because steve did not get famous copyin other guys mindlessly...