Who of you guys can play Building The Church?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
lydian2000

fair enuff :D

yes I feel exactly the same, can make some licks sacles and stuff from the Greats" here and there and in a guitar shop i usually try to jam even if it sounds bad rather than playing eruption or the same kind of stuff just to show how big my penis is(dont need to)

and freedom to the covers!
:guitar :headbang :guitar
NantucketSleighrider

precario wrote:
NantucketSleighrider wrote:An painter paints his own, why should that apply to guitar?
Not really, you know this guy named Leonardo Da Vinci ? Yeah, he's a little famous ;). And you know this really famous painting, The Last Supper ? Mr. Da Vince became famous just after painting that masterpiece for Count Ludovic, somewhere in Italy, I don't remember now. But, The Last Supper isn't his invention, he just made a version of it. Why not use the word "cover" ? ;)
Because, it was a written story transformed into a totally different medium, thats why. His painting was not a "cover", it was a total overhaul, turning written word to oil paints is pretty much a brand new creation. He used the initial story and ideas to make it his own (like feeding of techniques and stratergies rather than a straight cover)Seriously, my previous rant was not just to slate anyone and everyone wanting to play BYC, it was directed at people like 1118916GB
, who say things like, and i quote: "icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song". Apologies to everyone who got a bit annoyed, perhaps my "self righteous bullshit" gets in the way every now and again.
PureVa|

dude ya its all good
Juelz
Newcomer

I didn't see if anybody posted an answer here yet. I didn't read all of the replies. So with that said~

Watch a video of it being played here.
http://youtube.com/w/Darrell-Plays-Stev ... teve%20vai

But, keep in mind. He dose not play the intro correctly. In this movie he used only four fingers. His first two fingers on both hands.

Like this:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------12--------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------12-------------------------------------------------------|
|---13--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------10-------------------------------------------------------------|

Each of those notes played with taping. Dont use pick.
Table:
Red = Right hand. Middle finger - tap w/ no picking
Blue = Left hand. Middle finger - tap w/ no picking
Orange = Right hand. Index finger - tap w/ no picking
Green = Left hand. Index finger - tap w/ no picking

Do it like that fast, with lots of gain and you got what the guy dose in the video.

But who cares about that. You want to play the real way. Which is done with 5 fingers.

which goes like this:
(Low E string. Thickest one)
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a|-----------------------------------12------------------------------------|
d|---------------------------10--------------------------------------------|
g|------------------12-----------------------------------------------------|
b|---13--------------------------------------------------------------------|
e|-----------10------------------------------------------------------------|
(high E string - Smallest one)

Red = Right Hand. Third Finger. 13th Fret. B string.
Blue = Left Hand. Second Finger. 10th Fret. High E string.
Orange = Right Hand. Second Finger. 12th Fret. G string.
Green = Left Hand. First Finger. 10th Fret. D string.
Purple = Right Hand. First Finger. 12th Fret. A string.

Notice when I drew this tab I did it opposite to how they would normaly be written. This one is as if you are looking in a mirror. So picture it as if the head-stock of the guitar is on the far right end of the tablature. >>>

And you are behind that diagram looking down at it like that.
You should be useing three fingers on your right hand (first finger, middle finger, and third finger) and two form your left. (First finger and middle finger)

I might attempt to draw a picture of how it should look in your hands.
If you want to just go through the whole song. A guy posted this transcription of the song in another thread.

This was made by Bakerman of the forum. I take no credit for it. I just found it in a thread he made.
http://www.jbakerman.com/trans/
There is a seemingly perfectly accurate transcription of the entire song.
PureVa|

yea that kid is playing it totally wrong hahaha...
i posted a vid of me doing it the right way
maybe soon illmuster up the courage and record it all the way through...
muhri
Newcomer

if you practice it long enough you get the groove and it works =)
wolfv11
Newcomer

1118916GB wrote:icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song
I knew a guy who could play Al Di Meola stuff in his sleep. Its not about what he can play but what he can create, perhaps he can play building the church or for the love of god note for note, but can he create beautiful masterpieces like whispering a prayer?
1118916GB

wolfv11 wrote:
1118916GB wrote:icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song
I knew a guy who could play Al Di Meola stuff in his sleep. Its not about what he can play but what he can create, perhaps he can play building the church or for the love of god note for note, but can he create beautiful masterpieces like whispering a prayer?
I can play chopsticks with a guitar. i can also play Behind These Hazel Eyes by Kelly Clarkson.
PureVa|

is he being sarcastic?

:?
Rakuku

I'm not that good at guitar :(

but I can play the intro.
klawn
Newcomer

Hi guys,

As for all of you, it was obvious to me that the G3 version of the second solo was way more simple than the studio one but it still sounds very good (anyway, at this speed, the changed notes are quite hard to hear).

So I made a little tab of the G3 version (obviously, I used the original tab available on MySongBook to do it), here it is:

http://www.20six.fr/pub/Klawn/BTC_tapped_solo__G3_.gp4 (right click / save target as)

Also don't forget that the whole track is played with a totally different fingering than the MSB tab, you can see it easily on the video, and having the right fingering is something really important cause it changes the strings you are playing on and as each string has its own gauge, it has also its own sound, a G on the A string and a G on the D string don't sound the same at all and to get Steve Vai's sound, you have to care about this :wink:
1118916GB

PureVa| wrote:is he being sarcastic?

:?
Well I can play it if I heard it but I was kidding. That shit is not even music. But its funny to play chopsticks on a guitar.
Guitar_freaak

has anyone manget to play the studio solo tapping part yet and if so do they have a video of it ?
PureVa|

ill get around to recording it eventually...

im at school hehe
resha

I found a good tab section on an italian magazine called AXE. I learn it form that and it was right.
I don't know if I can find it online though :?