Who of you guys can play Building The Church?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
galan

Please, give some tips to play this song, specially the intro!!!!
Eutow

galan wrote:Please, give some tips to play this song, specially the intro!!!!
theres a video on video.google.com of some kid playing the intro.
PureVa|

i can play it at normal speed. and also most of the other tapping solo later on in the song. man that tune rocks...
Proview

I can pretty much handle it w/o the middle tapping section. I haven't had the patience to start learning it... :lol: I would post a video, but I haven't got a camera :?
SalamanderExcess

Practice! Its a really complicated pattern at the start, you just gotta go over it again and again.
galan

how about the settings on the amp?
laficojr

galan wrote:how about the settings on the amp?

This is difficult to reply, because each amp has his own "sound" you know..
But you can try to slow the BASS a little bit and turn up the MIDDLE and TREBLE to get that "smooth" sound.
And don't forget the Delay in the effects loop.

I hope it helps.

Cya man
Marco

www.vaicover.cjb.net
1118916GB

icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song
Shade

1118916GB wrote:icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song
I'm sure he could. But do you think we care?

Anyways, building the church is pretty tricky. I haven't tried the intro part, I just play the rythm part and then sorta bs the rest of it until the crazy solo in the middle...then I just stop playing/change songs :lol: :lol: .
guitar_man_6

1118916GB wrote:icant but i know a guitarist who does. he could whoop all you guys. he could play eruption easily without even tryin. he could play every steve vai song
Eruption is much easier than Vai! Steve has complicated timing and plays much more technical passsages. When I played For the Love of God live, I played Eruption first and it actually boring as if I was just slapping my wrist against the fretboard. When it came to FTLOG, I really had to concentrate to make sure I was hitting each note cleanly and getting enough sustain and had to pay special attention to the sweep-picking at the end of the wah passage.
1118916GB

eruption wasnt a comparison it was just something he could play. but he could also play FTlOG easily. he's a god
VaiWorshiper91

I bet he's not as good as my teacher, who could just as easily play any Vai song, bar none.
Jay3

Man guys, stop thinking of it like this guys better then this guy and my teacher could whoop his ass. The topic at hand is Building the Church which is a hard song man. And I went to video.google or whatever and holy crap. :shock:
PureVa|

It's not a hard song at all. I know this sounds dumb but trust me.

*Learn Building the Church tapping section in one sitting!*

1. Sit down with your guitar and get comfortable, you're gonna be here a while.

2. Pull up the tab. Don't let it intimidate you. There's a lot of notes going on here, but this is no big deal. If you need a tab for it go here: http://www.jbakerman.com/trans/

3. You all should know how to position your hands, you've no doubt seen Vai or someone else do it.

4. Start out SLOW, and I mean really slow. Right now you are just memorizing the fingering and the pattern. Sit there and do that for like, an hour untill you have completely memorized how it goes. At first it is extremely confusing...It took me a while to understand it. It's probably not even going to sound like the song right now. But thats ok, we're just getting the basics down.

5. After you have memorized the pattern and fingering, you can probably start doing it slightly faster. Increase the speed in increments every half hour or so. It all depends on how fast you are at memorizing the pattern. Everyone's different so learn it at your own pace. Don't rush yourself either.

6. Asuming you're getting somwhere with this song, here's some advice on helping you playing it consistantly, without pauses ect. RELAX YOUR MUSCLES. This riff actually gave me a workout for my fretting arm. My shoulder muscles would be sore after practicing it. But the trick is to relax. Just sit there and just do it. Don't even think about it. Once you've memorized it, there's no thinking involved.

7. This thing will wear you out. It will most likely start pissing you off. But who cares, just do it fool! This will take you most likely a lot of your time to perfect it, depending on how fast you learn. I'm 16 and have been playing for about 2 years and it took me...a day to learn it. But it took me a week or so to perfect it. Last night I decided to see how fast I could play it. I did it at about 115 bpm. It's played at 95. ...oh what fun... Don't be discouraged if it takes you a while to get it down. Just dont let it intimidate you. Good luck friends and have fun!

:peace
Cleggy

Shade wrote: then I just stop playing/change songs :lol: :lol: .
Story of my playing career. :lol: