Powertabs.net stops downloads

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

Whos going to buy tab books instead?

Me.
7%
Me.
7%
Me.
7%
Me.
7%
Not me.
18%
Not me.
18%
Not me.
18%
Not me.
18%

Total votes: 216
Slow_Hands
Newcomer

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I come across some Tabs for songs I haven't heard before, but have been recommended by plank spanking friends. I then buy the album out of curiosity. if i like it i will then buy a backing track.

that's two lots of cash going to the artist. If i don't have the tab in the first place, i won't buy anything.

True, sometimes this works in reverse. but if everyone was like me, then banning tabs would harm the industry more than help.
SalamanderExcess

Yea its not working at the moment!! whaaaat!
totallygeek

What tab books cannot do for me is allow for play-along and allow me to alter tempo. And, like mentioned by someone else, I have searched for a song, found something else, or looked at other artists in a category, and ended up buying a CD.
Cleggy

Slow_Hands wrote:I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I come across some Tabs for songs I haven't heard before, but have been recommended by plank spanking friends. I then buy the album out of curiosity. if i like it i will then buy a backing track.

that's two lots of cash going to the artist. If i don't have the tab in the first place, i won't buy anything.

True, sometimes this works in reverse. but if everyone was like me, then banning tabs would harm the industry more than help.

i agree, thats how i first decided whether to buy 7th song album as i had most the others, i listened to melissas garden tab and decided buy it.
goth_fiend

the main reason I get tabs is for that exact reason, so that I can learn a song at tempo one measure at a time *depending on the song* so what are we to do now? I buy vai and satriani's books but how in the hell am I going to be able to get songs from bands that dont put out scores? (symphony x, children of bodom, imperanon, wintersun, kamelot, kalmah just to name a few, I could go on for pages...no joking there, and I dont have that good an ear to tab by ear so dont give me that) thanks alot bastards
Morisson

I'm not spending 30 to 50 euro's on a tab book just to figure out that one part in that one song I couldn't do by ear.
armadacd555
Newcomer

dudes to be honest i think that more than 3/4 of all music made has never been officailly tabbed anyway which is why the tabbing comunity was started in the first place. warners just wants the market to themselvesso they can make more money and anyway i would of thought most of the famious guitarists and bassists learnt from tabs anyway so why cant we!!
Cleggy

Surely they cant sue a website that was set up in say, Sierra Leone for example.

So if theres anybody from anywhere else in the world bar the US who wants to help community rather then corporation, theres a plan.....
Morisson

All for that one!
espguitarlord

It'll not be long before a ".RU" or some other obscure domain starts offering tabs. Still, I'm downloading probably a lifetime's worth of tabs I would feasibly want to learn before 'the man' has his way.

It's a very short-sighted strategy. The internet has been a resource for a whole generation of musicians that in some cases will eventually be a source of revenue for the music industry.
Bill Efting
Newcomer

:oops: :(

I umm, can't really combat this due to a conflict of interests that no one probably wants to hear anyway.

lol.
Lake of desire

SARCASM WARNING!!!!

Guys, guys, guys...

What I do is I never buy tabs or CDs I just download everything illegally (tabs, movies, CDs, software, footwear, t-shirts, food you name it). That way I never have to pay the middle man or the artist or actors and actresses or who ever the huge rewards that they're demanding from you and me.

Besides, not giving the artist any money will only enhance the quality of they're future work, 'cause they always think that "maybe if my next album/tabs book/t-shirt/(product here) is realy, realy good people will pay for it".

That's what I do.

Oh, by the way, I'm writing this on my private island on the Carribean. I bought it with the money that I saved 'cause I don't have to pay for anything else. Luckily teaching can't be downloaded or people haven't noticed this, yet, otherwise I'd be as poor as the artists I've stolen from all these years. Phew!

SARCASM WARNING ENDS
ernzzz

this is like the computer programs code, or the cooking recipes..
those files are just telling a way to make something urself, your way.. (cause u cant do it someone else's way..)

u will surely find ridiculous to make illegal the exchange of cooking recipes.. will it make the cooks run without job? or maybe grandmas run without gourmets? :lol: cooks are cooks, and i cant cook like a cook heheh.. ( i will put my feet on a restaurant of some kind soon or late...)

so vai is vai, and for more i try i could not play his "recipes" as he does.. so me or anybody will notice that, and go see vai in concert...
Lake of desire

But cooking recipes are not copyrighted; sheet music and tabs are.