How to use a Wah pedal

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Balex the Shizzle

I recently bought an ibanez weeping demon, but i dont have many ideas of how to use it, how does slash use his? what about vai?

any tips and hints on how to use it to go with a solo that sounds good?
metallicafan647

I think you have to put your foot on it.
ppvai

i think up its "u" and down its "a". :wink:
Balex the Shizzle

lol, yeh, i know that, but has anyone got any tips on how to put it to use musically whilst soloing etc?
Gary2005

Well its all about what you want to do with it. Be as expressive as possible, choke notes, let notes linger etc. Just play around with it and see what happens. =)
Alun

The best way is to listen to a player you like (eg Slash, Vai) and try and approximate the sound they get. Try rocking it on each note to get a very pronounced "wah" on each note or try slowly sweeping it back and fore while playing a repeated line to hear the filter.

Although I'm not always a fan of Satch, his wah technique is pretty impressive, so it's be worth listening to some of his stuff too eg Crush Of Love

Cheers,
Alun
Balex the Shizzle

thanks, actually thats a brill idea, i liek that song, i'll start learning it i think
gargendie

For more Satch listen to Love Thing or The Souls Of Distortion.Great stuff.
Y_Hui

Balex the Shizzle wrote:lol, yeh, i know that, but has anyone got any tips on how to put it to use musically whilst soloing etc?
The way I learned how to use it was to keep a rythmn with it, like forward is 1 backwards is 2 forward again is 3 and backward again is 4... pretty much that. It comes out pretty cool that way.
ultrazone_seeker

just off the top of my head, a couple of different techniques and examples...

- just in time with the music (or is that the wah pedal's getting in the way of your foot-tapping?): good example would be in the Sweet Child O' Mine solo.

- accenting certain beats/notes etc: the main melody in The Audience Is Listening, for example.

- static position or very slow movement: Satch is the authority on this. have a listen to the "Surfing..." album - he even seems to be using a fixed wah on some rhythm parts (Ice 9, Crushing Day).
SalamanderExcess

I got a :twisted: DEMON :twisted: and to get a good sound, i started with all the knobs at 12 oclock, then messed around till i got a good sound.... by the way, never use the LOW mode unless your using a bass! Then all you do is move it with your feet to the feel of your notes!
James W

Balex the Shizzle wrote:I recently bought an ibanez weeping demon, but i dont have many ideas of how to use it, how does slash use his? what about vai?

any tips and hints on how to use it to go with a solo that sounds good?
Experiment. Spend some time coming up with your own way of using it. There is no right way with a subjective art like music - esp. with a mere effect. Try to be original.

J
laficojr

metallicafan647 wrote:I think you have to put your foot on it.

:lol:

Well, it's really hard to explain Balex, try to learn some licks with Wha-Wha of songs of Vai, slash, etc.
Then start moving your feet in the pedal to make the Wha.
Start slowly :wink:

See'ya
Ryan Layton
Banned

most people will generally push the toe down as they bend a note up. It slowly adds volume to the bend and makes it more dramatic. try that.
Balex the Shizzle

ok, thanks for all the input, youve given me a much needed starting point, i'll just experiment.

My ibanez RG2550E will be coming anytime now, and when i get that i'll abuse the wah pedal as much as i will the trem 8)

cheers,
alex