Is there any hope at all (rust cooley)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
SPQR

if u wanted to be a shredder is there any hope at all with players such as rusty cooley and francsico ferari etc etc...lol don think so lmao
NatiFable

Of course there is, just because someone can wiggle his fingers faster than the great majority of people on the planet doesn't mean that's what an audience will like.

Who cares? Rusty can play very fast, that's for sure, but can you sing one identifiable melody that he's written? Guys like Vai play the hell out of their guitar, but do you think Steve is sitting around going, 'well, Rusty is such a fast guitarist, I don't think I'm gonna go out and offer up my talents and gifts to the world, as awesome and inspiring as those are, because Rusty is just so fast...' I don't think so!

The fastest part of Rusty's playing for me? It's how fast it bores the hell out of me. Give me someone like Vai, Satch, Johnson, EVH, Petrucci, Hendrix and a ton of others anyday. These guys are true shredders. Rusty and the like are just machines, no soul.

peace and light
Martian Love

I love players like Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, Johnson, and Petrucci. But I also love Cooley's playing. Listen to "Under The Influence" (2:55).

Peace

PS I can sing a few melodies of his.
SPQR

yip i rly agree with u there, so rusty is pure technique, no soul, emotion etc. cheers 4 ur feedbac
realillusions

i would say he's pure technique, i would say he's pretty melodic but not in the sense of being slow and passionate, just because he doesnt play slow doesnt mean he's all technique. the guy has never played a cover song in his life.
holmes
Newcomer

His (music?) if you want to call it that, sounds pretty stupid to me. It all sounds like music on a nintendo game.

A billion miles an hour. yeah!!!

Rusty was never issued a soul.

RUSTY COOLEY + GUITAR = WASTE OF TIME.
Balex the Shizzle

different people express themselves differently on guitar, some do so by speed, others by meoldy, some by a mix (like vai)

speed isnt everything....

neither is being melodic

you can take whatever view you want -> as long as you ENJOY what YOU play, i agree with whatever your style is.
Shade

holmes wrote:His (music?) if you want to call it that, sounds pretty stupid to me. It all sounds like music on a nintendo game.

Megaman style :headbang :headbang :headbang

But no...with people like him prowling the land of shred, there is no hope.
guitar player
Newcomer

I practiced shreding and I was supprised how fast I could play in such a short time. There is always hope
SPQR

keep em comin rite im away to practice now lol..
metallicafan647

fortheloveofgod wrote:yip i rly agree with u there, so rusty is pure technique, no soul, emotion etc. cheers 4 ur feedbac
You Sir, are an idiot.

There is more than one way for someone to express themself. There are a variety of emotions, so who are you to say that he plays with no emotion?
James W

Yea, he plays with emotion, that emotion when you are deeply inebriated and feel like regurtitating something!

:lol:
SPQR

who is that comment directed @..
thelordofcheesecake

fortheloveofgod wrote:yip i rly agree with u there, so rusty is pure technique, no soul, emotion etc. cheers 4 ur feedbac

Friggin' hell, guys. You seriously need to learn what "emotion" actually means. There are tonnes of different emotions, and just because they're not playing slow blues doesn't mean there isn't emotion there. Practically all of heavy metal is based on anger, which is another emotion, and just as valid.

Anyway, Rusty has said that he was more interested in mastering the technical aspect of the guitar and that he was aiming for stuff that ripped your face off, hence the uber-speed.
SPQR

now i can agree dude