satriani - technically good?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
phoenix2874

Man, it was just late last night and I was just venting. I`ve got family in England, and was just a little angry. Got to reading through this thread again and it just made me think"don`t we have anything better to pour over than who`s favorite guitarist is more worthy?"

I suppose we should be proud that we feel strongly enough about whoever it is to defend them to the bitter end.

Emotional war agaisnt myself? Nah. Just something there set off my will to rant :lol:
alienillusions
Banned

phoenix2874 wrote:Man, it was just late last night and I was just venting. I`ve got family in England, and was just a little angry. Got to reading through this thread again and it just made me think"don`t we have anything better to pour over than who`s favorite guitarist is more worthy?"

I suppose we should be proud that we feel strongly enough about whoever it is to defend them to the bitter end.

Emotional war agaisnt myself? Nah. Just something there set off my will to rant :lol:
Are you Dennis Miller? :lol:
phoenix2874

NO, but that`s funny (and kinda flattering :lol: )

Not many people *get* dennis miller, but I find him friggin` hilarious.
Vivian
Newcomer

i think that if u are into high speed picking stuff u should listen to michael angelo batio... id say hes the fastest on the planet. Which i think makes him a good guitarist but not good musician. i think being a good musician is being able to express ur soul and feeling through ur instrument rather than just mastering the technical aspects.. the movie Crossroads with vai and ralph machio gives some insight on that.. i personally admire Vai's work above others because i think he passed the border between guitar and the human heart and soul and his music is both technical and soulful.. Satriani has indeed a great ear for melody and his solos alwys fit in perfectly which is indeed worth a million of Zakk wyldes.. Anyone can learn to play fast sooner or later its a matter of patience and will.. guitarists like yngwie , impelliteri, michael angelo spend their lives chasing technique and forgot all about music from my point of view and i think they just wasted their time.. music has to come from ur soul as the expresion of ur uniqueness and not in the form of soulless scales..
Maits10

To answer the original question; yes, Joe Satriani is unbelievably technically versed in every aspect of guitar playing. He is also one of the rare few who doesn't throw in every trick in his repertoire in every song just to show off. To the person who started this topic, Joe Satriani and Zakk Wylde are both excellent guitar players. Comparing them is a waste of time, because there is no accurate or relevant way of comparing dissimilar styles.
metalus

Without going into too much technical detail. Lets say Satch is the groove master. Vai is the Space Age guitarist always trying something new,and not afraid of playing something thats a bit strange. Wylde is good. they are all good. And will proabably always be better than any of us lot in amillion years.

You can't really compare any of them. They can all probably play stuff the other one can't in a certain way. Satch with melody. Vai with the madness, Wylde with his rhythm playing etc.

Loz
Bkkkk
Newcomer

Having Heard Zakk, Joe, Vai, Yngview, Hendrix,Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia, Petrucci, Hammet, Eric Johnson and other guitarists from many different styles I can say taht they are all different and good at what they are doing, let me explain:

Joe and Vai are both amazing instrumentalists and I will thank god if I ever get to half their level, they are able Guitar players with a fair share of technique and musical knowledge to express their mind and soul in creating beautiful music that is impressive in their Musical value and their emotional value, also they are able to create music in many different music styles and often times combinining multiple genres which I think in itself is another great skill and something many guitar players lack.

With the whole Vai versus Joe thing, well what can I say they are VERY different, Joe is alot more reserved then Vai and you can see this from his live performances, If you compare the G3 live perfomances you can see how Vai has developed into a more "Out there" kind of performer and entratainer and in my opinion Vai has ALOT more to offer then Joe does when it comes to live performances, and I think its just due to a difference in character not lack of ability. I prefer to watch Vai live then listen to his CDs, and I prefer Joe on CD then live, becuase he really doesnt have much to offer above non-live perfomances. Vai is also more experimental not just with guitar techniques but also as a composer and arranger, I mean he does 3 guitar harmonies, bass solos, piano and sitar arrangements. His guitar technique is in essence more experimental and weird then Joe, He makes sound come out of places I didnt even knew you could get sounds out of in a guitar.

Wylde is good at what is out there to do but hes def not at the musical level of Vai or Joe, I must admit I dont like his music as much as I do Joe's or Vai's But I recognize his ability, regardless of his ability to play drunk which is by no means a musical ability, and to be honest I dont care if he is a racist, stupid, drunk, redneck. Musical ability has nothing to do with personal character.

Hendrix well hes an amazing musician in that he made GREAT music and even though he wasnt all that techniqually able he wrote beautiful songs and is an inspirations for thousands of guitar players from almost every genre.

Yngview and Michael Angelo are EXTREMELY fast, and they concentrate on that, thats their style of playing and they mastered that technique, they are great SHREDDERS but not great musicians, for example ive heard Yngiew playing Blues and he lacks that "less is more" that is needed for Jazz and Blues, they both lack that ability to adapt and change to meet different styles because they are so inate into their school of guitar playing that they are unable to perform in other situations. I am biased because I dont like their music I find it really unsoulful and honestly quite boring, except for a few seconds of brilliance they dont have much to offer me.

But again it all comes down to what you like, Kurt Cobain wasnt very good as a guitarist however he did write Smells Like Teen Spirity which is a great piece of music and the main riff is great because its sooo catchy, exttemely easy but great none the less.
alienillusions
Banned

Bkkkk wrote:

With the whole Vai versus Joe thing, well what can I say they are VERY different, Joe is alot more reserved then Vai and you can see this from his live performances, If you compare the G3 live perfomances you can see how Vai has developed into a more "Out there" kind of performer and entratainer and in my opinion Vai has ALOT more to offer then Joe does when it comes to live performances,
If you are talking about stage presence and drama, then you are correct...if you are talking about musically, then no. When I saw Satch in Toronto last summer, he blew me away. AWMAWY turned into a 7 minute+ jam, and Cool #9 was a whole different monster. Satch was improvising very tastefully for every song and his chops were better than I've ever heard. He was also running around the stage and had a lot of energy...then I saw Vai on the recent tour, and I was entertained visually much more. The lights, the attitude, the interplay, just everything was like a Broadway show (on acid)...it'd be cool if Joe were the same way, but I don't think that kind of flamboyance and flashiness would serve his music well.
OU812Manny

BKKKKKK, you're head is up your ass. MAB and Yngwie are brilliant musicians with original styles. Just like other bashers I bet you don't own a single MAB CD or more than 1 of Yngwies. I have seen both of them live within the last 2 years and they are amazing. To say they have no soul is the typical mindless forum speak of uninformed internet shred pundits like you and others. Instead of posting shit why don't you idiots listen to their music. Duh....
johny

OU812Manny wrote:BKKKKKK, you're head is up your ass. MAB and Yngwie are brilliant musicians with original styles. Just like other bashers I bet you don't own a single MAB CD or more than 1 of Yngwies. I have seen both of them live within the last 2 years and they are amazing. To say they have no soul is the typical mindless forum speak of uninformed internet shred pundits like you and others. Instead of posting shit why don't you idiots listen to their music. Duh....
Amen
:headbang
James W

OU812Manny wrote:BKKKKKK, you're head is up your ass. MAB and Yngwie are brilliant musicians with original styles. Just like other bashers I bet you don't own a single MAB CD or more than 1 of Yngwies. I have seen both of them live within the last 2 years and they are amazing. To say they have no soul is the typical mindless forum speak of uninformed internet shred pundits like you and others. Instead of posting shit why don't you idiots listen to their music. Duh....
:roll: Yeah, you must be a right philistine not to appreciate the subtle delicacies of both their music :lol:

Oh, and BTW, its your** head is up your ass.

erotically yours, James XXX
b2

Yes he is. :D
Of course it all depends on how you define "a technically good guitar player".

Joe is not very much into speed picking but he could proberly do it if
he would. He said in one interview that it was just not his sound, he
is more into legato playing. Legato gives a more flute or saxaphone
sound/voice.

I would not rate Joe as a true "shredder".
It could be like this:

Michael Angelo Batio = 95% shredder
Yngwie Malmsteen = 60% shredder
Steve Vai = 50% shredder
Joe Satriani = 30% shredder
Eric Clapton = 1% shredder
B.B. KING = 0% shredder

But being a shredder is not all. I would say a player like
Pat Metheny is amazing technically good, he can surf on arppegios like
no other. And he improvise all the time. Amazing.

Most known guitar players are great players, if not they would not be known.
BajoElSol

I hate guitarists who just shred!!! They are, as Vai says himself "nothing more than obsessed with musical masturbation".

Bajo.
Bkkkk
Newcomer

Hmm I actually do have Yngview Malmsteen cds, all I said is that in my opininon they are not as good or talented IMHO as Vai or Joe.

I never offended them or called them SHIT, I said they were good at what they are set out to do.
Now my question is why do you start getting offensive? I never insulted them or you, you could have just replied, I dont agree with you because of XYZ, no need to call me an asshat, Mindless, etc... etc....

Oh and its 4 Ks thank you very much
Barking Pumpkin

First of all, I'm trying not to bash anyone, but especially Satriani. If there's anyone who needs to be knocked down a few notches it's Zakk Wylde, who isn't really in the same league. Anyway....

I don't really listen to Satriani because he's not really my type of musician. I don't really listen to a whole lot of "guitar people." I play several instruments, including guitar, but I'm much more interested in composition than rock guitar type things. Satriani seems to be more of a "play a riff and solo over it" type of guitarist than a really composition-oriented person where the guitar playing takes a back seat to however the composition is supposed to work. He is a very good guitarist, and his guitar lines and riffs are interesting and moderately original, but it's just not really my style. More rock than I'd like. That also shows up in his guitar sound, which is perfect for his style, but kind of not useable outside it. But definitely technically advanced, and most likely moreso than Zakk Wylde. He's at least more versatile than Zakk Wylde.