Top 10 Favorite Guitarists

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
wan
Newcomer

my favourites are:

Steve vai
Matt Bellamy
Joe satriani
adrian smith
dave murray
Daron malakian
Jimmy page
angus young
tony iommi
Slash
hendrix
Last edited by wan on Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spanishphrygian

yeah I forgot Angus Young.

I am sick of the criticism of AC/DC like they only play Power Chords and a Blues-Scale. What a bunch of Bullshit!

I would take Angus and his soul and expressiveness over some PRICK that memorized a million scales that says nothing with it! haha.

With that said, I think some people should admit that they would be better of staying within the power chord / blues scale parameter.

Until of course they can actually say something with other modes like the Ionian b5, Dorian #4, Hungarian Minor, Mixolydian b6, Lydian Dominant, Whole tone, Enigmatic, Hexatonic, Fuckedyourmomatonic, Ionian b3, Aeolian #7, minormajorhaedaxedache and so on and so forth! haha.
realillusions

steve vai
yngwie malmsteen
rusty cooley
michael angelo batio
paul gilbert
john petrucci
awesomezilla
Newcomer

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
Dimebag Darrell
Randy Rhoads
James Hetfield
Kirk Hammett
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughan

so many players I love but those are probably my favorites.. Slash, Angus Young, Hendrix, Dave Murray/Adrian Smith... all up there too..
Jay3

Dammit!I forgot another one!
Ace Frehley man! Kiss is awsum
j1mi_h3ndrix

Jay3 wrote:Dammit!I forgot another one!
Ace Frehley man! Kiss is awsum
yeah
john1231

i dont think i can limit this to ten so i'm just gonna list a bunch

allan holdsworth
jimmy herring
joe pass
steve vai
john petrucci
shawn lane
jerry garcia
john mclaughlin
robert fripp
adrian belew
frank zappa
al dimaeola
both guitarists from arch enemy
zakk wylde
george benson
joe diorio
Under_It_All
Newcomer

I don't mean to sound like a prick...

But I have to! :D

Kirk Hammett was a fairly good guitarist... WAS. But, the stuff from Load and Reload sounded... well... terrible honestly... and also
James Hetfield - The God of Metal. NO ONE has ever written better metal rhythms. Period. The tone, the attack, the ideas...he owns us all. My favorite rhythm guitarist.
*coughcough Dave Mustaine coughcough*

As for my 10 faves:
Steve Vai (Unbelievable guitarist, puts on a hell of a show live. The emotion in his music is so evident, and he feels everything he's playing with all his music. As many have said before, when he plays something incredible [for me: Under it All: the part where the two "presidents" are talking"] it feels as if you're being struck by lightning.)

Joe Satriani (A brilliant composer, he can take a simple riff or pattern and turn it into something magical ie.: The Extremist... and Midnight is a beautiful work of art.

Jason Becker (Opus Pocus and Speed Metal Symphony... 'nuff said)

Marty Friedman (Brilliant player in his early days, but nowadays I don't like a heck of a lot of his stuff... But, hey, why not put him here?)

Dave Mustaine (Probably the best rhythm guitar player of our millenium... He could write and play just about any rhythm part to anything, and although he doesn't have the best voice in the world... THIS IS A GUITAR FAVORITES!! ^_^;)

Tony MacAlpine (His duel with Steve Vai in "Down Deep into the Pain" in the live DVD... 'nuff said)

Randy Rhoads (Blended classical and hard rock/heavy metal together to create a wonderful sound, and even better music.)

Paco de Lucia (Incredible Flamenco-esque player... I just love him... no other way to describe it)

Frank Zappa (Possibly the weirdest composer of music ever, but you have to love what he writes [OR ELSE!! ^_^;]... yeah....)

James Hetfield (Incredible rhythm player, second only to Dave Mustaine... yeah... okay... good enough ^_^)

\m/
j1mi_h3ndrix

that is some competition

james hetfield and dave mustaine .... lol hmm
Real_Confusions

Skyscraper wrote:Joe Satriani - I just slightly prefer his music to Vai's. If I'm listening to both, because Vai is more diverse I find he maintains my interest for a longer period, but I'm more impressed with Joe's songwriting consistency - I just think he has a knack for putting his talents towards helping his ear for a catchy tune, whereas Vai isn't just looking to do that, he's looking to explore and do different things. However, second place still goes to...

Steve Vai - Hidden Dedication's 'struck by lightning' description is very good. I find Vai's music sometimes hit (mostly hit for my tastes these days) and sometimes miss. I think the key to liking someone's playing though isn't that you have to like every single thing they do, but that when they do something that isn't to your tastes, you can at least see why they would do it and understand their perspective to do what they just did. I feel I'm there now with Vai, although it took me longer to 'get' his solo music than was the case with Satriani who is pretty much instantly accessible.

Eddie Van Halen - I'm only really a fan of the David Lee Roth era Van Halen stuff but what he does on there is fantastic. It's not totally formulaic but there is definitely a sense of tune and melody about his playing. Also, although he's technically a 'flashy' player, his stuff is more attemptable than the average guitarist might think, so that's quite enjoyable to play some of his stuff.

Marty Friedman - His sense of melody and care that he puts into his playing really impresses me. I love his solo stuff including his work with Jason Becker (it's very hard to separate those two as well), but he really is very versatile in terms of how he can apply his playing to different styles of music. He can wail on Hangar 18, get emotional on Namida or technologically oodly-doodly about on Music For Speeding. Fantastic stuff.

Dimebag Darrell - Great at simple things that made great songs as well as being able to do the flashy stuff for lead parts. His lead playing is actually very reminiscent of Satriani for me in terms of technique, even though they play on very different music. He can actually tone down the haviness when he wants to - I think a song like Cemetary Gates shows plenty of diversity not just from Phil Anselmo on vocals but also from Dimebag's playing - his solo on that song is very tasteful I think. Fantastic player. Out of interest, listen to the bluesy into to the solo he does on 'No Good (Attack The Radical)', then listen to the bluesy into to Steve Vai's solo on 'The Attitude Song'. Spooky! Anyone else noticed this?

Stevie Ray Vaughan - I'm not sure if he should be above Malmsteen but for the sake of his tunes as much as the actual playing, he is. A great blues player who manages to make blues sound more divese without changing it into blues rock or straying from just playing blues. Technically very good, has a good ear for a tune and is very enjoyable to listen to, I think.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Here's a case where the guitar playing has to be separated from the music. The vocals on a lot of Yngwie's songs annoy me or just put me off his music, but I still have about half a dozen of his releases, plus his instructional video for the REM Masters series, just on the strength of his playing on there. Besides his sweep picking and alternate picking, his vibrato is very expressive, one of my favourite things about his playing, while his blues is also an aspect of his guitar skills that isn't showcased so much but is fantastic. His playing can still get old fast but when you're in the mood for it there's nothing like it, a bit like many people would say about blues players in fact. He'd be third or fourth if he just mixed things up a bit more, rather than using the same aspects of his playing almost all of the time, which is why a lot of his music can get old fast while so many other aspects of his playing at which he is actually really good go unnoticed because he doesn't much use them.

Stanley Jordan - I just love what he does. It's very original and intelligent. While it's true that doing some cover versions in this style (Eleanor Rigby and Stairway To Heaven being the two I can remember right now) is just a bit gimmicky, it's still quite interesting to watch and hear while his talent shines through on his own songs. Between him and the more rock-orientated technical equivalent of Jennifer Batten, it's almost enough to make you cross-eyed.

Jimi Hendrix - Fantastic rhythm player. Could do rockier stuff but his more laid back approach on 'Axis: Bold As Love' is where I've most enjoyed his playing. There are enough people to champion the Hendrix cause so I don't feel obliged to go into any more detail than that.

Angus Young - Sometimes I just want no-brains, no-nonsense rock and his blues-influenced playing is certainly that. I just enjoy it, without being over-analytical of it.

Honourable mentions go to Ritchie Blackmore (who should probably be above Angus Young in fact, but it's tough to narrow it to ten people), Jason Becker of course, Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson (fantastic in Thin Lizzy and Motörhead), the Iron Maiden boys (Murray and Smith more so for the eighties material), Alex Skolnick, David Gilmour and the aforementioned Jennifer Batten. I'm sure there are many other I'm forgetting as well but there it is.
This might be one of the better lists I've seen.
thelordofcheesecake

Real_Confusions wrote:This might be one of the better lists I've seen.
In your opinion :wink: .
Jay3

Under_It_All wrote: Dave Mustaine (Probably the best rhythm guitar player of our millenium... He could write and play just about any rhythm part to anything, and although he doesn't have the best voice in the world... THIS IS A GUITAR FAVORITES!! ^_^;)
\m/
Man I never realy thought of Dave's rythem playing! But now that you mension it, you right! Holy crap man I just released how much of a wicket rythem player he is/was.And hey man :P I like Daves voice it's different.I mean it sounded like crap on Rust in Peace but all albums after that his voice was interesting
Vai_Evh

Eddie Van Halen- Reason I started playing guitar
Steve Vai- Amazing player and innovator
Yngwie Malmsteen- Speed Kills!
Joe Satriani- Great tone
Randy Rhoads- Classical Guitar with metal is sweet
Zakk Wylde- LOve his tone and is pretty quick
Jimi Hendrex- The first
Eric Clapton- Great tone for a fender
Angus Young- Not the greatest tone but great player
Slash- Great guitar playing imo
BobDaNob

Under_It_All wrote:
James Hetfield - The God of Metal. NO ONE has ever written better metal rhythms. Period. The tone, the attack, the ideas...he owns us all. My favorite rhythm guitarist.
*coughcough Dave Mustaine coughcough*
Nah, Dave is a killer rhythm guitarist but he just can't compete with rhythmic stuff like 'Master of Puppets', 'Orion', 'Eye of the Beholder' and 'Harvester of Sorrow'. Those riffs are just heavy metal gold.

Dave has 'Holy Wars' and 'Symphony of Destruction' but James has the main riff from 'Orion' and the breakdown riff from 'Creeping Death'.

Hell, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All is practically the holy trinity of metal. LOL Rust in Peace kicks ass, though. No doubt about that.

I still think they should get back together for an album, though. ;) THAT would rock.
j1mi_h3ndrix

BobDaNob wrote:

I still think they should get back together for an album, though. ;) THAT would rock.

That would be awesome.