Does anyone know this scale?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
mhuey1

A friend gave me this scale a while ago. He told me it was an Egyptian scale but I'm not sure.

I really like the way it sounds, but I'm not sure how it could be used (over a what chords) and the break down... Like if the 6th is minor and if the 1st, 4th & 5th are major.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here it goes starting on C

C-C#-E-F-G-G#-B
Ricardo

Spell it C,Db,E,F,G,Ab,B. It is "Double Harmonic", like Phrygian Dominant posted above, but w/ a raised 7th. 1b2345b67. You can use it in the key of F minor (on the 5 chord), but it works better in C phrygian mode (where C is tonic). The raised 7th clashes w/ the 7th of a C7 chord, so that gives it the "exotic" or middle eastern sound. This is also used in Spanish music sometimes, like flamenco, but the raised 7th (B natural) is just a passing tone to resolve to the tonic (C). Normally you hear Bb. You can also use this scale over a Db7 chord(bII7), which will pull back to the C major chord eventually. Great change of scale if you are vamping on C phrygian (Cb9 or C7b9-Db and back).

Ricardo
Skyscraper

I think this the scale called 'Byzantine' or something like that, like Harmonic Minor only with a major third, which I'm sure I've heard Marty Friedman use before, at least I think so anyways.
Amano

Yeah, Skyscraper is right. This is the byzantine.
mhuey1

WOW! Thanks a lot everyone! You guys rock :headbang
Ricardo

I think this the scale called 'Byzantine' or something like that, like Harmonic Minor only with a major third, which I'm sure I've heard Marty Friedman use before, at least I think so anyways.
Yes that is one of many other names for it. Check out this guys list:
http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3 ... sc&start=0

Down at the bottom, the big list of scales, number 8, 10, 23, 131, all the same scale w/ different names.

Don't get how you come up w/ "harmonic minor w/ major 3rd". More like harmonic minor w/ raised 4th. Still, I prefer to think of it related more to phrygian dominant.

Ricardo
j3

mhuey1 wrote:A friend gave me this scale a while ago. He told me it was an Egyptian scale but I'm not sure.
According to Scalculator online (http://www.ushimitsudoki.com/scalculato ... lator.html)

This scale is called the Charharga, Byzantine, Double Harmonic, Gypsy, or Persian Scale.
Ricardo

This scale is called the Charharga, Byzantine, Double Harmonic, Gypsy, or Persian Scale
Dude, YOU were the one that posted that big list I linked to above. The "Persian scale" has a b5, and the Charha...whatever, is not on your list, lol!

I guess it is another example of how silly argueing about what to "name" a scale is. In the end, it is the intervals that matter.

Ricardo
j3

Ricardo wrote:
This scale is called the Charharga, Byzantine, Double Harmonic, Gypsy, or Persian Scale
Dude, YOU were the one that posted that big list I linked to above. The "Persian scale" has a b5, and the Charha...whatever, is not on your list, lol!

I guess it is another example of how silly argueing about what to "name" a scale is. In the end, it is the intervals that matter.

Ricardo
I lifted that list from somebody on the Allan Holdsworth website, it definitely does not have all the scales or names, nor does the scalculator online database, but they both are great resources when you are trying to find something to call a scale.
I totally agree, all scales are collections of intervals in relation to the harmony either implied in the melody or underneath--the names are just handy tags for a collection of tensions and tendencies of resolution.