My guitar keeps shocking me.

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Post Reply
ashgromnies
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:05 pm

Whenever I press my arm so it's touching two strings or the whammy bar or anything and it's plugged in, I get a heavy electric shock. It only happens if I press the underside of my forearm to it.
I had my guitar professionally set-up and the guy checked the wiring on it, too.

I have an Ibanez JS-1000.
User avatar
Moderator777
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:40 pm

I'm not a genius with electronics but make sure your spring claw is grounded to your pot casing. Make sure your output jack is as well. Use a multimeter to ensure all your pots are grounded. Check the black wire from your pickups and check grounding. I recommend posting in http://www.projectguitar.com 's forum as well. I have visited there in the past and their suggestions are usually dead on.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am

If you touch something else metal while touching the strings or bridge, you will get shocked. A guitarist was almost killed when his strings hit his microphone stand during a preformance.

You may also try a another cord or make sure the one are using is pluged in all the way.

IF the guitar buzzes loudly it has a ground wire that has come undone either on the controls or the trem claw.
Ryan Layton
Banned
Posts: 1206
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:28 pm

if the mic is properly grounded then i don't think that would happen.

its funny to watch people play with the little Fender Passport pa systems. everytime they are palm muting and their lip touches the mic, they usually scream or cuss really loud and it goes through the mic and out the speakers.
j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am

i dont know the exact story but it happend to some big name band, but i remember seeing it somewhere.
The Extremist
Member
Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:24 am

maybe it just doesnt like you playing it, maybe it was like touched by satch and it loved him..i dont know, get an electrician.
ashgromnies
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:05 pm

I'm not really good at poking around the insides of my guitar. I'll ask my teacher for help and if he can't figure it out, I'll bring it to the set-up guy.
j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am

i wouldn't recommend messing with it too much especilly if you dont have a wiring diagram. I think taking to your tech or teacher is a really good idea
RoadStarII
Member
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:38 am

Jra2217 wrote:A guitarist was almost killed when his strings hit his microphone stand during a preformance.

that happened to me during a jazz performance. my arm was thouching my strings and an Instrument mic at the same time.... BBZZZZTTTTT!!!!
SBarrett
Member
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:34 pm

My Ibanez JS-100 is grounded by the spring claw to the pot sleave and there are no shocks here! (I don't know if this is the solution)
It's strange that you have the superior JS-1000 and yet it shocks you. :?

I remembered when Joe Satriani was here in Tucson, Arizona for the special in-store performance and autograph sessions during this spring.......
I believe he was playing one of his Chromeboys when he approached the microphone..... anyways, he shocked himself!!!!! :shock:
He was startled but he got a kick out of it and joked around with the crowd afterwards. :wink: We all had a blast even though the electricity went out during Summer Song.

Anyways..... Joe got shocked. I don't know how often this happens with pros.... He was using the music store's PA btw.

-Sean
User avatar
Logic
Member
Member
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:32 pm

I beleive it was Mick Jagger that was shocked by a guitar some time ago. Big story it was. The other thing, and i can't beleive someone didn't mention it is, is the amp grounded??? Remember where your guitar is getting it's signal from. The amp. I would get one of those curcuit checkers that just plug into your outlet and it will tell you if the outlets are wired correctly and if both grounds are present and accounted for.

Yours in fellowship.

P.S.
Mr. Satch getting shocked and the electricity goes out all in the same show? check the grounds.
wickedbaron
Newcomer
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:19 pm

sounds like you may have electrical ground problem than may have nothing to do with your equipment. the wall outlet for your electricity might not be grounded correctly, or have no ground wire at all in due to how old the electrical is in your home. you may have a 3 prong outlet in the wall, but doesn't mean it's grounded.
Post Reply