A question for UK-based people here

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Skyscraper

Hi,
I was just wondering how much over here an Ibanez Jem, top of the range, would set me back over here? I see certain prices in dollars but I don't know how much we Brits would pay for one in pounds. There's no way I can afford one right now, but since I will have money coming in over the summer and be doing nothing else other than work, thus not spending very much money (hopefully, and apart from seeing the G3 tour over here!), I was wondering how much I'd need to save to be able to get a really, really good one, and what the differences are between the different models.

I use cheapish guitars at the moment, which do the job for now, but in order to step things up a bit I think this is the way forward, and as the Jem has 24 frets and the JS only 22 that settles the possible debate about which one to get! However, becaue I am poverty stricken at the moment I find it too embarrassing and cheeky to ask how much it would cost at the guitar shop, make a big scene of having them look up their special orders and then it becoming plainly obvious that I can't afford one.

So, could anyone tell me what the damage would be? Thanks.

Steven.
dex

The best price I've seen 7VWH (same as the one Steve plays and arguably the best new jem out there right now) go for here was £1550 at the Wembley Guitar Centre.
The 7VSBL (rosewood fretboard and colour is the only difference between this and 7VWH) was as low as £1349 at the same shop but I think that was a special price.
The RRP price is £1999 on both, :shock: so your average local shop will only offer £100 off tops.

Your best bet is to import a 7VWH from someone like Rich Harris and with delivery, Import Duty and VAT it would only cost around £1250.
For that price you will also get a flawless setup and a UV1000 case that costs $130 on it's own.

ilia
SpikeyDemon
Newcomer

A shop in Brighton I visited a few weeks back had a White Jem 555 for £995. They also had a sparkle blue Jem but that was about £1998 so I didn't have a go on that - tried the 555 though, it's a good guitar.
Bono

Theres a massive guitar shop in Birmingham called PMT (Yeah I know, wierd name...it stands for Pro Music Technology though)...and they have loads of guitars including the Jem. It is on sale for £1999...ouch.
Also for reference, The UV is £1599 and the JS1000 is £1399...I swear to god prices in the UK are ridiculous.
Mr_Creosote
Newcomer

Guitar Amp and Keyboard are fairly competitive (www.guitarampkeyboard.com) as far as UK prices go...

But, the thing I've found is that many of the dealers advertising the guitars don't actually have them in stock...and the wait can be measured in months!

We are poorly served for Ibanez guitars in the UK. And ripped off! I think the list price for a JEM7VWH in the US is $2399.99 while, in the UK it is £1899.99 ($3511.77 at current exchange rates). Plus, in the US, you can usually get a higher rate of discount off the list price than in the UK (where many dealers will do no discount at all on top-end Ibanez models!)...
Vaiper

my local store at http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk is selling one for £1500. an i've played it. In fact my fingerprints are probably all over it. I'm usually in every other weekend to see it.
"It will be mine" :lol:
Riz
Newcomer

Don't get a Jem, get one from the RG series or PGM model, they are loads cheaper then a Jem and as good if not better, the Jem just looks nice, thats all, don't waste £1500. If you do need to waste your money on it so very much then get it from Merchant city music, link what vaiper just posted
donald_lyall
Newcomer

So i take it you are responsible for its recent disappearance,Vaiper??! I was more into that gibson Zakk Wylde that sadly is no longer with us :cry:
royboy
Newcomer

I've just paid a deposit on a white Jem 7V at Machinehead in Hitchin (herts) I've been promised it'll be here this week. I'm paying £1699 inc case which given the list price of £1999 is pretty good! It will also be set up at machinehead (inc in price) I agree with mr_creasote though- you can have a long wait over here, I've got a floral pattern Jem that I bought in 2000 I waited about 9 weeks for that one, all dealers in the UK have to wait for stocks to arrive at Headstock who are the distributors here, shipments to them from japan seem to be few and far between! make sure you play before you buy... Jems aren't to everyones taste the boards are quite wide compared to some other guitars and the vine pattern up the neck can take a while to get used to, especially for beginers. Having said all that trust me... I recon Jems are about the most versatile rock guitar arround. Set them up rite for you (not too low or they'll buzz to buggery!) give them a bit of volume and they sing!
Matthew

Juice777

I've just got an Ibanez Jem7VWH inc. case for £1449 at Big Rock/ Woods in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. That's the cheapest I've ever seen.
Vaiper

donald_lyall wrote:So i take it you are responsible for its recent disappearance,Vaiper??! I was more into that gibson Zakk Wylde that sadly is no longer with us :cry:
i wish mate. I couldnt even afford anythin better than my BC Rich so i had to buy a yamaha pacifica off a mate. Which incidently sounds incredible for a budget model
espguitarlord

It's a shame the Jem555 has been discontinued because it was pretty good value at well under £1k I thought.
dex

The 555 is still available in the UK in both colours.

ilia
espguitarlord

perhaps some places are selling it, but it's no longer on the Ibanez
website( s )